Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Psa do not use motul in your fiesta st

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Still looking for something from FoMoCo. What I know is there is no TSB that affects the stated fluid level based on my VIN. Ford has had 5 years with our cars to address this.......and sees no reason to change it. MAGNA PT say the B6 is used in millions of vehicles, if the fluids and levels were an issue I'm sure they would have addressed it.
I'll stick with FoMoCo/Magna PT over "so and so" .

koozy

3000 Post Club
My apologies. So even less than an inch, which means it's time to add more [emoji41]
Yes.

People are short if they're just pouring in 2 Liters and more with 2 quarts based on user experiences as yourself who've actually measured. I personally wouldn't risk running short and settling for getting it kind of close with the reputation some users are having with these gearboxes.

As mentioned earlier, 20mm below the fill hole is key no matter how much goes in.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So do the general Ford/Getrag instructions specifically say 1" or 20mm below? As you're right, 20mm is only ~0.79", so even MORE fluid may actually be needed IF indeed that is the instruction spec to use, which would be likely the full 2.2L as some are saying... but either way, 2L, not qt., should be the absolute minimum to feel fully safe, IMHO. It also appears there is quite a range on shift feel from new between any given FiST. For example, the one I test drove felt great, but then I had the dealer bring in the exact color/spec'd one I wanted, finished the paperwork/bought it before it even arrived/had a free loaner until it did. But when it did arrive, I noticed shifting was not as crisp at all compared to the one I test drove. But it also does not have the obvious "clunk" that the TSB on the half shafts to get repaired under warranty. So perhaps if assembled 100% ideally, then the factory 1.67L may indeed be enough, but if something isn't 100% perfect, then it appears using 2-2.2L is a great alternative to helping with the issue when it's not bad enough to warranty. Maybe that's why that directive being issued from Ford to fill more when repaired or replace to perhaps help prevent further issues isn't a very transparent/vocalized/official thing; they don't want to have to admit that many have issues enough to *maybe* warranty but also know that the additional fluid does indeed help prevent issues from returning down the line.

The bottom-line is if the fill procedure says to fill to a certain level, any listed amount that's less than that should be ignored, the fill level itself is what matters, regardless if that doesn't match what the manual says.

2016 Ford Fiesta Power Train Service Bulletin 458133
Action Number: 10078987
Service Bulletin Number: 458133 Report Date: May 10, 2016
Component: Power Train
Summary: Clunk noise shifting from 1st to 2nd gear

SSM 47327
https://ford.oemdtc.com/1725/clunk-...t-to-2nd-gear-2016-2017-ford-fiesta#more-1725 - This shows it was expanded to '17-'18 as well, but we don't know all the procedures involved, other than just replacing the half shafts, without a subscription to access the procedure manual.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Yes.

People are short if they're just pouring in 2 Liters and more with 2 quarts based on user experiences. I personally wouldn't risk running short and settle for getting it kind of close.

As mentioned earlier, 20mm below the fill hole is key no matter how much goes in.
So, given that only 1.6L of OEM fluid came out and I put 2L of Ravenol in - are you saying that I am still somehow short and need 200 ml more? I'd think that 2L is sufficient to not be obsessive whether you are 25.4 or 20 mm below the hole.

I haven't experienced any issues with the Ford ff, and it's 20% less in volume than what I have in there now.

?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
This thread has officially went off the deep end. I need to unfollow, it's unhealthy.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So, given that only 1.6L of OEM fluid came out and I put 2L of Ravenol in - are you saying that I am still somehow short and need 200 ml more? I'd think that 2L is sufficient to not be obsessive whether you are 25.4 or 20 mm below the hole.

I haven't experienced any issues with the Ford ff, and it's 20% less in volume than what I have in there now.

?
No, that's what I did with the car at only 11k and noticed immediate and even further improvement over time. I'm not going to buy another liter at $20 for one just to use 1/5th of it and have the rest sit for 5 years until I do it again. :)

And yes, I think that it's time for me to un-follow as well, [MENTION=10503]babyivan[/MENTION] has said all that's needed and that is forget the manual, fill to 0.8" below the fill hole if you care to be exact, but 2L is pretty damn close though and good enough. And which exact fluid you use isn't likely the problem, as OP suggested with the initial start of the thread, he just had bad luck and a defect most likely. /EndThread

koozy

3000 Post Club
If the consensus is that meeting the correct quantity is more paramount than a particular brand of fluid, then it would be okay to top off ~200ml with any GL-4 or put back some of the fluid that was drained back in. A coffee filter can be used to filter used oil. While one thinks that all of the fluid is drained completely, that's not so. There's still oil fluid clinging and hiding on the gears and crevices. ~200ml of old fluid mixed in with new fluid to meet the proper level is not going to break a gearbox. No one needs to buy 3 bottles if they don't want to.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
If the consensus is that meeting the correct quantity is more paramount than a particular brand of fluid, then it would be okay to top off ~200ml with any GL-4 or put back some of the fluid that was drained back in. A coffee filter can be used to filter used oil. While one thinks that all of the fluid is drained completely, that's not so. There's still oil fluid clinging and hiding on the gears and crevices. ~200ml of old fluid mixed in with new fluid to meet the proper level is not going to break a gearbox. No one needs to buy 3 bottles if they don't want to.
I see what you mean, but the problem is the OEM DCT fluid is not GL-4 while with the new full synthetic Ravenol 75w-80 is. Even if both do meet Ford spec, I know I'm not comfortable mixing 2 completely different kinds of fluids like that. But most importantly, many of us have already done this and already disposed of the old stuff too. I also let it drain drip for a good couple of hours so not much was left in there AND mistakenly listened to people who said to use a pump for the new fluid and ended up spilling some, then after the fact I realized it could have easily been done with a hose funnel from on top without all the hassle of wasting like $7 on a glorified shampoo bottle pump, LOL... So I'm probably sitting at like 1.9L right now... BUT, for those who have the original fluid in anyway, it wouldn't hurt to add a half liter more of any approved DCT fluid, there's one I forget that's actually full synthetic and cheaper than OEM on Amazon...

koozy

3000 Post Club
The gearbox is lubricated by "splash" lubrication as the gears fling the fluid around. This is where quality and the weight of the oil i.e., 70w, 75w, 80w, 85, could make a difference if the gearbox is not filled to proper specs. For example, a heavier thicker weight fluid would cling more to the gears than a lighter thinner weight fluid which could play a role in protecting critical internal components especially in hotter climates. There's no trans cooler, so the trans fluid also doubles up in that duty as well. All things considered, it becomes apparent that having the correct fluid level in the gear box is very important for all of the things that fluid has be try to do in lubricating and cooling.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I am a smidge over 2 liters of the oem stuff. I would say 2.1.

I would think the oem stuff is gl-4. I read that Dct fluid is essentially a lightweight gear oil with add packs.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I am a smidge over 2 liters of the oem stuff. I would say 2.1.

I would think the oem stuff is gl-4. I read that Dct fluid is essentially a lightweight gear oil with add packs.
You are correct the our gearboxes are assembled in Germany and filled with 75W-FE GL-4. I'm almost certain it's made by Castrol, but can't prove it yet.

Attachments

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I remember in manual transmission class we had a Ford ranger transmission that was rated for automatic transmission fluid. Someone had put gear oil in it and it actually destroyed the transmission. There was a little plastic pathway for the oil to flow to a certain spot, and I assume the gear oil was to heavy to flow where it was necessary.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk