Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lower Front Stress Bar Install

Chris G

Installed this thing today (finally). Interesting install without a lift and limited space but it's done. Couple things worth noting:

- Threading in one side first and then going to the other side is the way to go as mentioned several times in this thread.

- The side I did second was a PITA to get aligned for whatever reason. I ended up using a rubber mallet to get it started then the 18mm socket to get the bolt completely through the hole.

- Torquing those bolts to 110-130ft/lbs is damn near impossible with limited space but I did my best. Everything was snug and super tight both when the car was on stands and when it was loaded on the ground (ramps). The bolts wouldn't budge when attempting to tighten with a regular socket and ratchet (no torque wrench).

Hope I did it all right!

Chris G

Does anyone have the part #s for those bolts? I saw a few folks mentioned they should be replaced after one use and I figured I would order some up for the next time I'm under the car.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Installed this thing today (finally). Interesting install without a lift and limited space but it's done. Couple things worth noting:

- Threading in one side first and then going to the other side is the way to go as mentioned several times in this thread.

- The side I did second was a PITA to get aligned for whatever reason. I ended up using a rubber mallet to get it started then the 18mm socket to get the bolt completely through the hole.

- Torquing those bolts to 110-130ft/lbs is damn near impossible with limited space but I did my best. Everything was snug and super tight both when the car was on stands and when it was loaded on the ground (ramps). The bolts wouldn't budge when attempting to tighten with a regular socket and ratchet (no torque wrench).

Hope I did it all right!
No pictures? You are cheap my friend lol

This really is a no brainer.

Yesterday I had the good fortune to meet Jim Pierce, Owner of Pierce Motorsport.
As an EX-race driver, he now has a racecar prep shop in Torrance, Ca.
It so happens that he manufactures undercar bracing for various cars.
Sense he also owns a FiST, he has made a Lower Front Stress Bar that connects the front of the lower "A" arms on the FiST.

I have used a bar just like this one but on a non-ST and had never found one that fit the FiST.
After purchasing the bar on eBay I contacted Jim so as to choose the color I wanted, then drove to his shop yesterday to pick it up.

The bars they make are of Chrome Molly, very strong and vary lite, this one only weighs 2 pounds.
Since our cars do not have any additional "A" arm support and the front mount is only a big bolt.
If you are going drive your car in a spirited fashion, I would highly recommend this type of bar.

The install is very simple and only takes about 30 minutes.
You just need a 17mm deep socket a breaker bar as the bolts are tight.
I do recommend that you do not remove both bolts at the same time but do one at a time.

Maybe we can bring Jim on as an owner and vendor.

Dave
Wheels on the ground or dangling free for this? Had mine up on the lift today but felt I needed a little more research before I loosened those bolts. Is the nut welded in there?

Hey there-wheels in the air/unloaded and yes the nut is captured in there-you'll remove the bolts, line up the bar and re-install the bolts---if you leave the tires on they'll give you leverage to help line up the control arm as it'll move a bit when you remove the bolt.

Hey there-wheels in the air/unloaded and yes the nut is captured in there-you'll remove the bolts, line up the bar and re-install the bolts---if you leave the tires on they'll give you leverage to help line up the control arm as it'll move a bit when you remove the bolt.
Thank you, [MENTION=1301]Piercemotorsports[/MENTION]. Appreciate you clearing that up, I almost installed this incorrectly, with the wheels supported on a 'drive on' lift. Is there a specific torque spec you recommend for the bolts, or just tight as heck??

MPA

[MENTION=879]D1JL[/MENTION] posted the specs from the manual in an old post:

"Front to 63 Nm then 180 degrees." which is about 46ft/lbs + the 180*

110 lb-ft from Boomba.

Thank you, [MENTION=1301]Piercemotorsports[/MENTION]. Appreciate you clearing that up, I almost installed this incorrectly, with the wheels supported on a 'drive on' lift. Is there a specific torque spec you recommend for the bolts, or just tight as heck??