Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SYNC 3 Update (November 2017)

Bluedrank

Hmm...I remember the leaked 2.x updates were 2-part updates. Looking were I got the leaked 3.0 update it seems like both nav and non-nav are 1-part.

This is where I found the links - HERE

Did some quick browsing of some of the newer posts and it seems like using a larger USB drive might help with the install. Theory is the car is using the USB as disk space to extract and swap files while updating.
I can assure you that the solution is not a larger USB drive. After getting the mem error a few times with a 16GB drive, I attempted the install with a 500GB portable drive that still gave the same memory error. The issue is definitely on the hardware or software side of Fords stuff, not user error.

I updated my 2016 from Sync 3 v1.0 to v.2.2 (website was down, I was impatient) by following the instruction from the other post in this forum, so I didn't experience any error issues some of us did. But if it makes any difference, my initial format was a full format ("quick format" box unchecked), then between unzipping update 1 and update 2, I wiped the files using another format, this time with "quick format". I did so just to keep the the flash drive clean, in case any leftover stuff might cause errors.

Hope that helps.

My 2017 came with version 2.2 installed. I never updated to 2.3. I thought that maybe it is time now to update to the newest version and then I read all the posts in this thread. After that, I am leaving it right where it is and I will check to make sure that automatic updates are disabled. I have not yet seen anything that describes significant improvements over version 2.2 for my non-nav system, and I am also not as computer savvy as many people posting in this thread. So I will just stick with the philosophy of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and continue to use my glitch-free system that integrates seamlessly with my phone using both Apple Carplay or bluetooth, including using my iPhone Maps to navigate. BTW--I am still running IOS 10.3.3 because of all the issues people have had with IOS 11, including battery life and phones bricking. I think that will come as no surprise [biggrin]

Last edited:
My 2017 came with version 2.2 installed. I never updated to 2.3. I thought that maybe it is time now to update to the newest version and then I read all the posts in this thread. After that, I am leaving it right where it is and I will check to make sure that automatic updates are disabled. I have not yet seen anything that describes significant improvements over version 2.2 for my non-nav system, and I am also not as computer savvy as many people posting in this thread. So I will just stick with the philosophy of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and continue to use my glitch-free system that integrates seamlessly with my phone using both Apple Carplay or bluetooth, including using my iPhone Maps to navigate. BTW--I am still running IOS 10.3.3 because of all the issues people have had with IOS 11, including battery life and phones bricking. I that will come as no surprise [biggrin]
Feature wise there doesn't seem to be anything "added" to 2.3 over 2.2, but I know when I upped from 2.2 to 2.3 the system overall felt snappy and more fluid. It's still not as quick as 1.0, but better than 2.2, just a heads up :)

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I can assure you that the solution is not a larger USB drive. After getting the mem error a few times with a 16GB drive, I attempted the install with a 500GB portable drive that still gave the same memory error. The issue is definitely on the hardware or software side of Fords stuff, not user error.
I think the answer to '16 Non nav cars or at least for me is to wait for Ford to correct the issue, Ford Tech's told me the '16 Non Nav cars when querying Ford Wifi for an update are told none is available to prevent WiFi updates to the Non nav cars right now. They will have to do a separate download that will either notify the owner they will lose their data and get permission to proceed or upload and save it and reinstalled the data. My guess is for the 2016 FiST the number of non nav out there in the US is 1500 maybe? So not a big priority as opposed to all other wifi issues. I will go to extremes to keep my Fifi out of a dealers hands. 20K so far and no dealer germs on her!

Just tried the update this morning following the specific instructions from Ford's site. I received the MEM_ERR03 error as well. Frustrating to say the least that there still isn't a fix for this.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I'm waiting to have my new APIM installed (on warranty thankfully), the car wouldn't update and the dealer determined the module was bad. However, Ford told them not to install it until they fix their updating problem, which has no ETA, so my music plays but no voice rec and it won't pair with my phone now.
Come on Ford, get your update act together, this is really annoying. I am glad the car runs fine,just tell myself this is peripheral, but my car only has 6600 miles, everything should work.

anticon

I just got my non-nav version updated to version 3.0. I even tried Waze on Android out and it seemed to work. I followed all instructions on the Ford website exactly. I did do a master reset before I actually started the install. I used a 32 GB USB drive formatted with Windows 7 to exFAT with the default partition size, I did NOT use the quick format option. I downloaded the file by logging into owner.ford.com and getting the zip files off the site, then extracting the .zip file directly to the hard drive. The installation part is a little confusing. The car has to be running the entire time and you can't mess with anything. It took about the full 30 minutes I think. Mine restarted three times and it took a while for the software updating to show up on the screen every time. I did finally get the notification below.

At this point I pulled the USB, and shut the car off. I then waited ten minutes and restarted and reconnected my phone. I also confirmed that I was operating on version 3.0 by going into the general settings. After install, Ford then wants you to take the USB drive back to your PC and upload an xml file that confirms the version.

Last edited:
I used a 32 GB USB drive formatted with Windows 7 to exFAT with the default partition size,
Are you referring to the "Allocation Unit Size" here (partition size)? I have done everything exactly like the site says and you have said, the only point I could not find more info on ANYWHERE was what this "unit" size should be. I think mine defaults to 32kb, but that may have been changed at some point.

anticon

Are you referring to the "Allocation Unit Size" here (partition size)? I have done everything exactly like the site says and you have said, the only point I could not find more info on ANYWHERE was what this "unit" size should be. I think mine defaults to 32kb, but that may have been changed at some point.
Yes, I was referring to the Allocation Unit Size. I don't know if it makes a difference but I set it to "Default allocation size" option when I did a full format (I did not have the Quick Format option checked). Also I did a master reset on my Sync before I started the upgrade. Are you getting the file directly from the owner.ford.com website? I downloaded the zip from there after logging into my account. Then I extracted the .zip file directly to the formatted flash drive. It then had three items in it; a folder titled SyncMyRide, a file autoinstall.lst, and another file, DONTINDX.MSA. The folder has a bunch of different tar.gz files in it. I also unplugged everything from the usb ports and made sure nothing was connected via bluetooth (which should not be possible after the master reset.) The car has to be running the whole time. When it is finally done after almost 30 minutes you have to shut it down and wait at least 5 minutes before starting it back up to check that the updated worked. I hope this helps.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I didn't notice any difference when I upgraded to 3.0. Wasn't worth the hassle, IMO. The media center is still annoyingly slow.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I didn't notice any difference when I upgraded to 3.0. Wasn't worth the hassle, IMO. The media center is still annoyingly slow.
Then that's your phone.... I just upgraded my phone and AA is much faster, if by chance that's what you're talking about, otherwise normal use seems snappy...

If anyone wants an easy to install package, I did piece together an update that works easy/great a while back if anyone wants to PM me their email... I simply read up and found that a certain version was the main full install and the 18025 was just app update so I just updated the install file to do the 2 pieces together, with a reboot in between, very easy!

I’m running V3.0 Sync 3 + iOS 12 and my iPhone X doesn’t show the waze app. Anyone knows if the app is working?

I’m running V3.0 Sync 3 + iOS 12 and my iPhone X doesn’t show the waze app. Anyone knows if the app is working?
Third party apps will only work when their developers will update them to work on CarPlay. That or jailbreak and use CarBridge

oxy

Yes, I was referring to the Allocation Unit Size. I don't know if it makes a difference but I set it to "Default allocation size" option when I did a full format (I did not have the Quick Format option checked). Also I did a master reset on my Sync before I started the upgrade. Are you getting the file directly from the owner.ford.com website? I downloaded the zip from there after logging into my account. Then I extracted the .zip file directly to the formatted flash drive. It then had three items in it; a folder titled SyncMyRide, a file autoinstall.lst, and another file, DONTINDX.MSA. The folder has a bunch of different tar.gz files in it. I also unplugged everything from the usb ports and made sure nothing was connected via bluetooth (which should not be possible after the master reset.) The car has to be running the whole time. When it is finally done after almost 30 minutes you have to shut it down and wait at least 5 minutes before starting it back up to check that the updated worked. I hope this helps.
Man idk how the heck you got it to work. This is extremely frustrating. I have tried several times, and again just now following your instructions to a T.

EDIT: well, I found a custom .zip from another user here and it worked.

Attention Ford employees and/or lawyers: I am well aware that the link contains some copyrighted Ford software. However, the link doesn't contain a complete software package and only contains a Sync 3 v3.0 Nav voice file, which actually renders a Sync 3 v3.0 Non-Nav APIM less functional when used alone. Additionally, it only contains data which is freely downloadable from owner.ford.com by anyone in possession of a valid Ford VIN number. This is actually a modified intermediary installation package to free up space on the APIM, which is necessary because your installation process is quite frankly broken in an embarrassing way. It wouldn't be a good look to issue me a DMCA takedown request. If you do that, you're sending the message that you do not want your paying customers to be able to keep their software up to date, and I will roast the shit out of you on social media if you decide to go down that route.

Last edited: