Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Update Sync3 to v2.2 for navigation and non-navigation units - AndroidAuto and AppleCarPlay (download links inside)

tardis101

You have a '17+? Then I believe it's pretty straight forward, not as feature rich as Android Auto but Apple is coming up with a big upgrade I hear.
My car is a 2016 Mustang ecoboost. Sync 3 is now version 3.0. My phone is an Iphone 6 with verizon as my carrier. It's all supposed to work, I just have to figure it out. I'm not as techy as I used to be [scratch].

Edit: It looks like I need to buy the new USB/Transceiver (HU5Z-19A387-A).

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My car is a 2016 Mustang ecoboost. Sync 3 is now version 3.0. My phone is an Iphone 6 with verizon as my carrier. It's all supposed to work, I just have to figure it out. I'm not as techy as I used to be [scratch].

Edit: It looks like I need to buy the new USB/Transceiver (HU5Z-19A387-A).
Yep, need the USB hub, it's only $40 on eBay

Peterson

Premium Account
I'm on sync 2.2

Is there a newer version? I'm reading that you can use Waze on screen now, but I have yet to figure it out.

Hey guys. I am new to this forum. I leased a 2018 non-nav FiST last week. It has Sync 3, version 3.0, build 18093 but does not have Android Auto. I have read through about 20 pages of this thread. It seems to be mostly about upgrading from ver. 2.3 and car play. Does anyone know how to get AA onto 3.0 without doing a Sync upgrade? I am surprised the car does not already have it installed. I looked through the settings and it is not installed as an option. I am familiar with AA. I have it in my Camaro. My car definitely does not have it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize if this has already been discussed in this thread. If so, I did not find it.

Thanks

Bluedrank

Hey guys. I am new to this forum. I leased a 2018 non-nav FiST last week. It has Sync 3, version 3.0, build 18093 but does not have Android Auto. I have read through about 20 pages of this thread. It seems to be mostly about upgrading from ver. 2.3 and car play. Does anyone know how to get AA onto 3.0 without doing a Sync upgrade? I am surprised the car does not already have it installed. I looked through the settings and it is not installed as an option. I am familiar with AA. I have it in my Camaro. My car definitely does not have it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize if this has already been discussed in this thread. If so, I did not find it.

Thanks
You'll want to talk to Ford. Any sync version after 2.2 should without a doubt have Android Auto built in. Sync 3 definitely has it, 1000 percent. So it's either been disabled somehow from the factory (not normal) or you're doing something wrong. Either way, see what the dealer says.

Jus tto be clear, you went into the settings and don't see the Android auto option there when you swich to the next page? I seem to recall it being on the second page of settings. Also, try making sure mobile apps is turned off, you can have mobile apps OR Android auto, not both.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Thanks
That's REALLY weird, it should launch as soon as you plug your phone into the USB hub, you have the latest main update available, and it's been on the FiST since '16... RE: the last post, never heard anything about having to disable mobile apps, it's always just worked for me.... And to clarify, this is a phone that has the AA app installed in it and works as-is on your Camaro? Definitely need to talk to the dealer, it was one of the features that sold me on it!

That's REALLY weird, it should launch as soon as you plug your phone into the USB hub, you have the latest main update available, and it's been on the FiST since '16... RE: the last post, never heard anything about having to disable mobile apps, it's always just worked for me.... And to clarify, this is a phone that has the AA app installed in it and works as-is on your Camaro? Definitely need to talk to the dealer, it was one of the features that sold me on it!
Sorry, you are right. All I had to do was plug it in and the AA icon appeared on the screen. What threw me off was, on the Camaro, the AA icon was on the screen before I plugged it in for the first time. The app was hidden on the FiST until I plugged it in. It works as expected. I guess I should of stuck with the old adage, try the simple solutions first.

Thanks

You'll want to talk to Ford. Any sync version after 2.2 should without a doubt have Android Auto built in. Sync 3 definitely has it, 1000 percent. So it's either been disabled somehow from the factory (not normal) or you're doing something wrong. Either way, see what the dealer says.

Jus tto be clear, you went into the settings and don't see the Android auto option there when you swich to the next page? I seem to recall it being on the second page of settings. Also, try making sure mobile apps is turned off, you can have mobile apps OR Android auto, not both.
Yeah, it was not on the second page. Once I plugged the phone in, it appeared. Strange, but I am just happy it works.

Thanks

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Sorry, you are right. All I had to do was plug it in and the AA icon appeared on the screen. What threw me off was, on the Camaro, the AA icon was on the screen before I plugged it in for the first time. The app was hidden on the FiST until I plugged it in. It works as expected. I guess I should of stuck with the old adage, try the simple solutions first.

Thanks
No prob, never knew that cars even offered the icon without a phone plugged in first, that would have surprised me to even see that on your Camaro! LOL But yeah, I'm pretty happy with what Sync can do just over Bluetooth as well, I mostly use AA just to use the phone Nav apps, but I SWEAR it seems like my phone charges faster with AA active vs. just plugged into the hub without AA active too so there's that... Enjoy your new ride, welcome!

clorbager

does anyone have the file to version 3.0 and above? i recently got a 2016 st and it had sync 3 1.0 on it updated to 2.2 last night. i have an iphone xs and im try use mobile apps but nothing seems to pop up i connected to usb and bt but i dont get anything. any help is appreciated,

danbfree

3000 Post Club
does anyone have the file to version 3.0 and above? i recently got a 2016 st and it had sync 3 1.0 on it updated to 2.2 last night. i have an iphone xs and im try use mobile apps but nothing seems to pop up i connected to usb and bt but i dont get anything. any help is appreciated,
How did it update to 2.2? Automatically? You can always update with a USB package and can check for the latest version on the Ford owners web site. Can also park where there is WiFi available and try to force it to check for updates again.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Maybe it's just the non-nav I don't recall at this point, but I've read too many horror stories about trying to update the 2016 Non-Nav to 3.0. The nutshell is, there is too little available space or RAM... I think it was RAM. So you'd get a somewhat cryptic error message. There are custom solutions that involve making minor changes to the flash drive content and updating it in stages. There were a number of folks that had reported failures mid-update, resulting with a crippled or disabled system. That would annoy me to no end and don't have the time to deal with such a problem should it arise. After reading all the ins/outs I took the first steps toward updating and it was basically falling in line with one of the horror stories; so decided not to mess with it any further. My 2016 non-nav will stay on 2.2 for the forseeable; since Ford, obviously is only testing it with the latest and greatest hardware. Microsoft, their former partner before they went Open Source, has a crap load of experience about getting stuff to work consistently on a range of hardware. They don't, and it shows.