Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shift Effort

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
The ST supplement owners manual, Page 24 lists 1.8 quarts of Motorcraft Dual Clutch transmission fluid or equivalent that meets XT-11-QDC. I guess the transmission was designed for this type of fluid.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
The ST supplement owners manual, Page 24 lists 1.8 quarts of Motorcraft Dual Clutch transmission fluid or equivalent that meets XT-11-QDC. I guess the transmission was designed for this type of fluid.
^^^ This. The Motul DCTF seems to work worlds better than the Ford synthetic fluid that comes from the factory.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
^^^ This. The Motul DCTF seems to work worlds better than the Ford synthetic fluid that comes from the factory.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Mine sometimes hesitates going from 4th to 3rd. It wants to stop right before engaging. Only happens going from 4th to 3rd not 2nd to 3rd. Just don't want to go back to a damn dealership. Ugh.

At almost exactly 10,000 miles mine went notchy. I took it in because it was so sexy-buttery-smooth before that. Got the same response "I don't feel anything, feels totally normal to me". I argued with the service manager after he took a new FiST on a test drive. Things got heated, he told me to try another dealership. At least taking it in wasn't a total loss, I learned that the dealer doesn't want to do warranty work as easily as the salesman suggested. Drove it home and started modding. Motul 300, boomba bushings, short shift adapter. Nothing helped. I have a feeling it is simply a product of the clutch breaking in.

On a side note, I have noticed that my shifter is a great way for me to determine my current mood. When I am feeling happy and life is sailing along, I don't think about the notchiness and am happy with the shifting. When I have a bad day I feel like I am driving a crashbox 1955 VW bug. Goes to show some car problems are in your head.

I actually thought the same thing, shifting changed for me around 10k miles. I attributed it to everything being broken in, and so I had my transmission flushed today and had it refilled with the normal motorcraft dctf and am very satisfied. Shifting feels great, very quiet, and sort of does a silent 'click' into gear (is this the notchiness everyone is complaining about?), very much the kind of feedback you get from a mechanical keyboard I find.

Feels great to me.

I'm at 37k and shifting is clunky as hell. Did a motul swap about 10k miles ago. Every gear is notchy. Almost feels like my shitty 97 corolla now. Any thoughts?
Hey kjohn09e,

Have you had a chance to have this inspected by your Ford Dealer? They'll be best to look over your concern and diagnose. Send over a PM with your name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll take a look to see how I can help.

Mine sometimes hesitates going from 4th to 3rd. It wants to stop right before engaging. Only happens going from 4th to 3rd not 2nd to 3rd. Just don't want to go back to a damn dealership. Ugh.
Hey Kip2MyLou,

Let me know if you decide to schedule an appointment with your Ford Dealer to have this looked at. If you do, I'll gladly look further into this to see how I can help get your ST shifting smooth again.

I actually thought the same thing, shifting changed for me around 10k miles. I attributed it to everything being broken in, and so I had my transmission flushed today and had it refilled with the normal motorcraft dctf and am very satisfied. Shifting feels great, very quiet, and sort of does a silent 'click' into gear (is this the notchiness everyone is complaining about?), very much the kind of feedback you get from a mechanical keyboard I find.

Feels great to me.
Glad to read this has been resolved, InsTwin! :) Don't hesitate to reach out should you ever need anything down the road; you know where to find me.

Nick

JasonHaven

I noticed my car got a bit 'notchier' lately, I just passed 3k miles. Should I take it in for a fluid change as part of 'break in'?

I noticed my car got a bit 'notchier' lately, I just passed 3k miles. Should I take it in for a fluid change as part of 'break in'?
I didn't take mine in and fordservice's comment is a bit misleading. I paid for a transmission fluid flush and was quite satisfied with the results, if I were you I'd wait a while longer though, just to make sure break in is really complete.

Hey JasonHaven,

Have you had a chance to speak with your Ford Dealer about this? They'll be best to insect and diagnose. Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll take a look to see how I can help.

I didn't take mine in and fordservice's comment is a bit misleading. I paid for a transmission fluid flush and was quite satisfied with the results, if I were you I'd wait a while longer though, just to make sure break in is really complete.
My apologies - I wasn't trying to be misleading. I was just saying that I'm glad your issues were resolved, and to feel free to reach out if you ever need anything in the future.

Nick

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thanks for all your help Nick. Sometimes we forget not to shoot the messenger [wiggle]

Those of us who have internal and external customers we need to respond to, on occasion, (as well as others in this forum) appreciate the work you and all the other Ford reps do aiding the Fiesta ST owners get resolution to their problems. Sometimes the problem doesn't get resolved to our satisfaction, but I for one have not had any major issues that could not be eventually addressed by my dealer. Sometimes its good to hear an attaboy once in a while. so ATTABOY!!!!!

No problem! Just trying to clarify that my transmission fluid flush was not covered under any kind of warranty, but did improve my situation.

The service department where I bought my car wont get a dime of my money. From trying to bait and switch prices to nickel and diming you for taking every second of time you spend in the parking lot waiting. Screw them. I'd pay more through any other dealership to avoid them making any extra money off me.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Kjohn09e, it sounds like you need a shifter cable adjustment. If you have the manual, rhe steps to do this are in there. You just need access to the cables that mount on top of your transmission. If you don't, PM Rodmoe and he can provide you with the link to where he posted the steps from the Ford Manual.

You can then take this to another dealer or a mechanic you trust, if you don't feel like DIY.

I've had some poor experiences the two times I took my FiST to two different dealers, so I feel your pain. I only take it to them for warranty work, or problems with bleeding antilock solenoids when I installed the Willwood BBK. Net result was one dealer putting in DOT 3 brake fluid, when DOT 4 is specified for a brake flush. I had to go in twice to get this fixed. Last time was for a leaking slave cylinder. Technician cross threaded the M10 x 1.5 x 110 bolt that attaches the Cobb roll mount to the tranny. This bolt was broken on the way home. I had to remove the threaded part of the bolt from the tranny mount. It broke flush to the boss and required a left hand drill to remove. I ended up getting temporary bolts from Bolt Depot until the Ford ones come in on Saturday. Stuff happens. I'm still loyal to my dealer. I had them talk to their technician about which bolt goes in first, (bolt that attaches to tranny) and how you may need to rock or move the engine to get the Cobb real roll resistor hole to line up with the frame bracket. There was evidence a BFH was used to get the tranny bolt to go in.

Ford sends you a survey, and they really act on these things. I got a call from my service rep, and he's promised to mail me another bolt, expressed his apology. I told him it wasn't his fault. I'll probably have the permanent fix in before the free bolt arrives. This bolt is, for whatever reason, on national back order. I ordered the bolt from 3 different places. one backed out, but I'll have 2 sets of bolts here by next week.

Keep trying to find a good dealership. It will pay off in the end. I'm at 26K so problems will crop up the more mileage you get on your car. My dealer did fix all my squeaking issues, even if they caused one problem, so I'll still go back to them.

Thanks for all your help Nick. Sometimes we forget not to shoot the messenger [wiggle]

Those of us who have internal and external customers we need to respond to, on occasion, (as well as others in this forum) appreciate the work you and all the other Ford reps do aiding the Fiesta ST owners get resolution to their problems. Sometimes the problem doesn't get resolved to our satisfaction, but I for one have not had any major issues that could not be eventually addressed by my dealer. Sometimes its good to hear an attaboy once in a while. so ATTABOY!!!!!
Thanks for the shout-out, westcoaST! :) You know where to find me should you ever need anything - don't hesitate to reach out.

Nick

So I just had to add that I hit 5k last weekend and changed the transmission fluid to Motul DCTF and wow! It feels like the transmission is filled with butter, the shifts are so much smoother feeling. The stuff made a huge difference, I'd really recommend anyone switch over to it!

Gotta question, and this may be normal but its something I noticed since the first test drive. I currently have 4.5k miles so still really new. BUT anyone else notice that if you are IN 1st gear and the RPM's are climbing but slowly and get to about 4500/5000 rpm , the shifter feels like its going to vibrate apart, it reminds me of an old truck with 100k miles on it. NOW I KNOW to shift well before those RPM's but if youre at a light or somewhere you do no need to accelerate that fast and you stay in 1st that long it just doesn't feel right, the vibration on the shifter is bad and the trans sounds a bit loud, but back to normal once you shift to 2nd. (with obvious RPM drop lol), anyone know what I'm asking? seems to me that its almost like the RPM's are rising but no power to be had??? I dunno... tell me its ok!! someone! HA.. time for sunday night football...

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
So I just had to add that I hit 5k last weekend and changed the transmission fluid to Motul DCTF and wow! It feels like the transmission is filled with butter, the shifts are so much smoother feeling. The stuff made a huge difference, I'd really recommend anyone switch over to it!
Are they are the same or did you use a certain type? And how often are you suppose to change transmission fluid?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Gotta question, and this may be normal but its something I noticed since the first test drive. I currently have 4.5k miles so still really new. BUT anyone else notice that if you are IN 1st gear and the RPM's are climbing but slowly and get to about 4500/5000 rpm , the shifter feels like its going to vibrate apart, it reminds me of an old truck with 100k miles on it. NOW I KNOW to shift well before those RPM's but if youre at a light or somewhere you do no need to accelerate that fast and you stay in 1st that long it just doesn't feel right, the vibration on the shifter is bad and the trans sounds a bit loud, but back to normal once you shift to 2nd. (with obvious RPM drop lol), anyone know what I'm asking? seems to me that its almost like the RPM's are rising but no power to be had??? I dunno... tell me its ok!! someone! HA.. time for sunday night football...
Why would you be in that gear and rpm range but only 'climbing slowly'? You're abusing your drivetrain, to begin with. Shift earlier or accelerate harder if you're going to be near the top of the rev range.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Let us know how it works. I think I will do mine next spring. Should be at around 30k km or 19k miles by then. I changed it in the Aveo every 100k km, but I feel with the extra abuse/fun it should be done sooner. Hearing it made a difference add confidence.