Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Leaking axle seals common?

Found first that the passenger side was leaking, now discovered the driver's side leaking. This is on a car with ~7500 miles and is very lightly driven by my wife. Also saw another board member reference leaking seals here. Please check, if you can, and share if you also have leaking seals.

Most importantly, if you have had them repaired successfully at a dealer please indicate the name of the dealer who performed the work or, potentially, why they may have declined to perform the work.

Rhinopolis

The worrying part to me is that once I noticed the leak and the source (it wasn't puddling under the car at the time), I was low by 1/2 a quart of transmission fluid! My car only had 2700 miles when I noticed the leaks, and think how much damage could potentially happen to a transmission that is driven for longer periods with low fluid.

Found first that the passenger side was leaking, now discovered the driver's side leaking. This is on a car with ~7500 miles and is very lightly driven by my wife. Also saw another board member reference leaking seals here. Please check, if you can, and share if you also have leaking seals.

Most importantly, if you have had them repaired successfully at a dealer please indicate the name of the dealer who performed the work or, potentially, why they may have declined to perform the work.
Hey Joe Schmoe,

Have you had a chance to schedule an appointment with your Ford Dealer to have this diagnosed? Send over a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll take a look to see how I can help.

Nick

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
My personal Fiesta ST of 12,500 miles had leaky axle seals from both sides; sold the car before addressing the issue. Our shop car Fiesta ST on the other hand is bone dry.

OP
J
Thread Starter #5
Have you had a chance to schedule an appointment with your Ford Dealer to have this diagnosed? Send over a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll take a look to see how I can help.
I appreciate the offer but for now I'd like to hear from other owners first to try to understand the scope of the problem. I'm also hesitant to associate my real name and VIN with the mods I've described as having installed or other information I've disclosed on the board. That would allow warranty denial to become real easy. Hope you understand, and thanks.

Exactly why I won't do mods.Warranty problems.Not worth it to me until warranty is over.

Rhinopolis

Exactly why I won't do mods.Warranty problems.Not worth it to me until warranty is over.
My car is modified, and Ford gave me no problems in dealing with the axle seals. I am dropping my car off Monday aft work to the service manager and he's going to make certain that the axle seals are replaced/repaired correctly this 2cd time around.

FYI- The dealership didn't fix the leaking seals the 1st time they had the car

I appreciate the offer but for now I'd like to hear from other owners first to try to understand the scope of the problem. I'm also hesitant to associate my real name and VIN with the mods I've described as having installed or other information I've disclosed on the board. That would allow warranty denial to become real easy. Hope you understand, and thanks.
Understood, Joe Schmoe. If you decide to schedule an appointment with your Ford Dealer, please feel free to send over a PM with the previously requested info, and I'll take a look to see how I can assist.

Nick

Add another to those having leaky axle seals. I noticed a lot of grime buildup just under the axles as I was under the car tightening up my boost piping....again.

So far....not impressed with Ford. My clutch is loud and weak, and now leaking axle seals still under 20K miles.

Chris G

Add another to those having leaky axle seals. I noticed a lot of grime buildup just under the axles as I was under the car tightening up my boost piping....again.

So far....not impressed with Ford. My clutch is loud and weak, and now leaking axle seals still under 20K miles.
Are you going to take yours in? Sounds like we are having the same issue.

My car had 500 miles on it when both seals decided to leak. Warranty claim, fixed next day no issues since. Car now has 6k. Car Had COBB RMM. Resonator delete. Dealer never said a thing. I know no-one at the dealer so no special favors involved.

On another note. I get confused but either the shocks/or struts have to be replaced in the rear and they also ordered bushings. Both on back order. My car feels like it has 100k miles on it and it's 6 months old and has 6k miles. Also rocker panel on driver side broke . Dealer had to order new one, still has to paint it. This will be my 5th time the car has to go in for warrenty work in 6 months. It's starting to suck.

Chris G

My car had 500 miles on it when both seals decided to leak. Warranty claim, fixed next day no issues since. Car now has 6k. Car Had COBB RMM. Resonator delete. Dealer never said a thing. I know no-one at the dealer so no special favors involved.
Yeah I have the Mountune RMM and I wonder if they will say anything.

Are you going to take yours in? Sounds like we are having the same issue.
I don't know yet.

I just had it in for an oil change/inspection at the dealership, so that I could have this issue documented. I was hoping that I was crazy and that the seals weren't leaking, but sadly, they are. Now I have it documented at least.

The reason I haven't decided if I want to deal with it or not is because I may just get rid of the car rather than try to deal with Fords bullshit customer service and service departments. I already had the car in due to loud/chattery and weak clutch, which they claim is "normal" and within spec (I have one inch of play to feather the clutch) at 20K miles. Why try to deal with warranties when they are complete bullshit, and only honored when the tech/shop manager is having a good day? I'm concerned that as time goes on, more issues are going to crop up past my warranty period and then I'll be completely out of luck.

I asked the tech today how often they see vehicles come in with leaking axle seals at 20K miles, and he said never. Clearly this car has either quality control issues, or a fair amount of us simply have lemons. I've read of enough people having fairly major problems to scare me off. I need a car that will last me. Not one that will be breaking down at 50K miles.

I LOVED this car. I was eagerly awaiting the day for the FiestaST to hit the sales floors, and picked one up as soon as I could. I am regretting that decision, and regretting owning a Ford.

end rant.

Decided to take it into a different dealership, to see if they'll fix this along with a multitude of other issues. Best of luck [MENTION=1447]Chris G[/MENTION]

So the dealership called today, and tells me that my seals aren't leaking, and that there are literally no problems with the vehicle. Guess I'm going to have to take their word for it, even though the other dealership told me they were leaking. Hell if I know......

Here's a pic. Is this not a leak?

My car has just under 25000 miles and my passenger side seal is just starting to go. But it is a seal so I dont think its common Ive never seen one come in to my work for that, regular fiestas included.

I don't know yet.

I just had it in for an oil change/inspection at the dealership, so that I could have this issue documented. I was hoping that I was crazy and that the seals weren't leaking, but sadly, they are. Now I have it documented at least.

The reason I haven't decided if I want to deal with it or not is because I may just get rid of the car rather than try to deal with Fords bullshit customer service and service departments. I already had the car in due to loud/chattery and weak clutch, which they claim is "normal" and within spec (I have one inch of play to feather the clutch) at 20K miles. Why try to deal with warranties when they are complete bullshit, and only honored when the tech/shop manager is having a good day? I'm concerned that as time goes on, more issues are going to crop up past my warranty period and then I'll be completely out of luck.

I asked the tech today how often they see vehicles come in with leaking axle seals at 20K miles, and he said never. Clearly this car has either quality control issues, or a fair amount of us simply have lemons. I've read of enough people having fairly major problems to scare me off. I need a car that will last me. Not one that will be breaking down at 50K miles.

I LOVED this car. I was eagerly awaiting the day for the FiestaST to hit the sales floors, and picked one up as soon as I could. I am regretting that decision, and regretting owning a Ford.

end rant.
Never heard people be such drama queens about something as small as leaky axle seals.