Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler upgrade on stock tune

Curious if anything about the stock tune, such as fuel maps would cause the engine to run lean if I upgraded my intercooler.

Any thoughts or other downsides to an upgraded intercooler prior to tune?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wouldn't hurt anything at all. Cooler charge temps are always a good thing.

There is alot of misconceptions about bolt-ons and needing a tune. Simple fact is the stock ecu (or tune) is able to change several perimeters depending on condition, temp, air flow....you name it. So upgrading your exhaust or intake side will not negatively affect your vehicle (within reason). The only way you then benefit from these bolt-on's is to change the tune to better accommodate. So for your specific question, its perfectly fine... you will just have cooler air temps (which is a good thing) but you won't necessarily fully benefit from the intercooler without a tune.

OP
A
Thread Starter #4
That's what I figured. I'm just mildly concerned with denser air leaning A/F and retarding timing. Because it sounds like only a tune will add fuel to correct A/F.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's what I figured. I'm just mildly concerned with denser air leaning A/F and retarding timing. Because it sounds like only a tune will add fuel to correct A/F.

The denser the air....more power and be developed consistently!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

zanethan

Notable improvement on mine with the stock tune and an intercooler upgrade. It no longer feels like a slug at ambient temps above 90.

What about coolant Temps? More efficient intercooler typically cuts down on radiator efficiency and higher coolant Temps from what I've seen in the past.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

coolant temps will be fine. No need to worry about anything leaning out, the oem computer on modern cars can correct a/f so fast you'd never notice or do damage. That's what the engine management system does.. when it comes to intake and exhaust stuff.... the better it breathes and the cooler it runs, the better, stock tune or not (sure there is the extreme cases where this isn't true but for the most part).

zanethan

What about coolant Temps? More efficient intercooler typically cuts down on radiator efficiency and higher coolant Temps from what I've seen in the past.

I don't have an AP yet so I can't be specific to the degree in which my coolant temps have increased. That being said, I have noticed oil temps (true oil temps, I installed a gauge) increased slightly when under load but they drop back quickly when not under load. They also have not gotten to a temp where I was concerned (230 max on a 98 degree day while driving up a mountain with spirited driving). My dummy gauge always says 4 blocks once up to temp even in the 95+ degree days.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

I definitely believe that my coolant temp is less under control with my upgraded IC than with the stock IC. It only makes sense. 95F ambient is about the limit of what the stock cooling system can handle with mild/aggressive hooning.

coolant temps will be fine. No need to worry about anything leaning out, the oem computer on modern cars can correct a/f so fast you'd never notice or do damage. That's what the engine management system does.. when it comes to intake and exhaust stuff.... the better it breathes and the cooler it runs, the better, stock tune or not (sure there is the extreme cases where this isn't true but for the most part).
Eh considering that you can overheat a Stock FiST on a hot day ... the stock cooling system is NOT fine imo. And just adequate on a stock car.

Quisp

1000 Post Club

Charge temps are lowered more in cold climates than any intercooler will and all's well.

Occasionally, it gets to -30/40 degrees C here, it really livens up the power, but traction is a bitch!

I’ve had -40 C inlet temps on my commute? That air is so dense it’s near fluid. Pretty sure that the FMIC options available shouldn’t affect anything tuning related, just enables more consistent inlet charge temps, in the summer(of course)...

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni