Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Used Oil Analysis Reports

I will say that I pulled the oil filler cap on mine tonight with 300 miles on it and I can smell the fuel. I need to drive it a bit longer with longer trips and see how it goes and maybe lay off the boost a bit. Maybe get some of that to evaporate in to the PCV. The idling from today and when we got all that snow probably didn't help.

so I recently bought a 2016 fiesta st I did an oil change at 4000 miles using mobile 1 full synthetic. my car now has 5000 miles on it I checked the oil today and also checked to make sure the vehicle didn't have any blow by in the top end. I removed the oil cap while the engine was running and put my hand over where the oil cap would be. and I did in fact feel some pressure coming through. I don't run the car hard and I was just wondering if this was normal. im very concerned about this and was wondering if anyone else has ran into / heard of this before. a response would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Rhinopolis

I will be sending in my 1st UOA at 7k miles. The oil that I will be sending was added in new during my 2cd oil change at 3500 miles, and I have utilized AMSoil 0w-30 with an EA filter since 500 miles new which was when I 1st changed out my oil.

I believe that the analysis should be interesting since during the last 3k miles I have tuned and ran the car on E30 with the stock turbo, and then also upgraded to the X37 turbo which is on an E30 tune as well.

I'm looking forward to the reports and to seeing how the car is holding up to a more aggressive tune with a higher peak hp turbo. I'm also hoping that Blackstone gives me the blessing to run 5k miles (once yearly for me) oil changes. If not no biggie, and mainly all I care about is that the engine is holding up and the oil as well.

PS: I have 6300 miles on the car now and I'm waiting till 7k to change oil and send in the sample.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I am changing my oil this weekend after the 6 month mark. I know I'm not there by mileage or time but I do a lot of city/urban driving so I'm following the more "severe" service guides.

I changed the original oil at 150 miles to Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 and will roughly be at 3,000 miles when I change it on Saturday. There will be a sample sent to Blackstone and based on what they tell me, I will run it longer if they feel it can go for longer. I am also curious about fuel dilution as I've ran through a few different tunes as well as two dyno days. Now I'm on an E85 tune so I'll see what they say about that.

Rhinopolis

Nice report! I sent in my 1st sample for UOA plus TBN, and it arrived at Blackstone today. I sent in a sample with 3500 miles on the oil and 7000 miles on the engine, and it was my 3rd oil change since my 1st at 500 miles. I upgraded my turbo during this 3500 mile sample and have been running an E30 tune, so I am looking forward to seeing what the report comes back with.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Since I do not believe in spending the money on UOAs, despite once being a hard core bitoger, I will not do so.

I'd rather put that coin into more frequent oil changes, or better, more costly oil/filter, since there is little that can be done about a "bad" report anyway, save for switching brands/types, or tuning for less fuel dilution, etc.

I will change out the factory fill at ~1K miles, and replace with the high starting TBN Castrol Edge EP 5W-20 and a Fram Ultra filter, and then change that out late spring to probably the Motul 5W-20 full synthetic which meets the Ford spec. (The local tuner shop parts counter guy has a '14 MO FiST, so they now stock this right on the shelf!)

Rhinopolis

View attachment Blackstone Report Nov 2016.pdf
I will be sending in my 1st UOA at 7k miles. The oil that I will be sending was added in new during my 2cd oil change at 3500 miles, and I have utilized AMSoil 0w-30 with an EA filter since 500 miles new which was when I 1st changed out my oil.

I believe that the analysis should be interesting since during the last 3k miles I have tuned and ran the car on E30 with the stock turbo, and then also upgraded to the X37 turbo which is on an E30 tune as well.

I'm looking forward to the reports and to seeing how the car is holding up to a more aggressive tune with a higher peak hp turbo. I'm also hoping that Blackstone gives me the blessing to run 5k miles (once yearly for me) oil changes. If not no biggie, and mainly all I care about is that the engine is holding up and the oil as well.

PS: I have 6300 miles on the car now and I'm waiting till 7k to change oil and send in the sample.
See attached report above quote^ Sample sent in at 7k miles on engine. Curious about the elevated iron and if that is normal for engine break-in, or a consequence of the extra grunt from power adders and tune.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was doing some research online and saw a few articles stating that high levels of molybdenum can contribute to elevated iron in UOA.
I do not believe that the current formula of 0W-30 Signature Series has all that high a moly content, whether it be the old 'dimer' type moly (which Red Line uses), which requires a higher concentration, or the latest 'trimer' type moly which requires less of a concentration to be effective (like Mobil 1 uses).

Red Line, Motul 300V, Torco SR5, JGD, Millers NT, and the Royal Purple racing series have a very high molybdenum content, and higher than almost any of Amsoil's products, save for maybe their Dominator/racing series.

Rhinopolis

I do not believe that the current formula of 0W-30 Signature Series has all that high a moly content, whether it be the old 'dimer' type moly (which Red Line uses), which requires a higher concentration, or the latest 'trimer' type moly which requires less of a concentration to be effective (like Mobil 1 uses).

Red Line, Motul 300V, Torco SR5, JGD, Millers NT, and the Royal Purple racing series have a very high molybdenum content, and higher than almost any of Amsoil's products, save for maybe their Dominator/racing series.
What's a "high" moly content? Per my UOA I seem to show more elevated levels of moly than the other UOA that I've seen in this thread, and I'm just trying to find a reason for why my results show more elevated lead. The rest of the report looks good to me though.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What's a "high" moly content? Per my UOA I seem to show more elevated levels of moly than the other UOA that I've seen in this thread, and I'm just trying to find a reason for why my results show more elevated lead. The rest of the report looks good to me though.
A high VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis) content amount is starting at ~450 ppm and up for dimer type moly (Red Line's 'street oils' contain from ~550 ppm up to about 950 ppm of the dimer type moly as an example), and ~150 and up for the trimer type moly.
Since molybdenum (EITHER form) is a 'sacrificial' type of anti-wear/anti-friction additive, it SHOULD deplete over time, and during the course of an OCI (Oil Change Interval), and show that in a UOA (Used Oil Analysis).

As for the elevated lead in your UOA; does Ford use a lead alloy for the main and crank bearings in these engines?
If so, then I would expect to see some higher levels in the UOAs, maybe even up until the 20K mile mark.
(How many miles on yours currently?)

Also, if you used an oil with a higher STARTING moly content than the UOA you are comparing to, obviously you will show a higher level than the UOA you are citing, even after an OCI depletion.

As far as I know, the Amsoil Sig Series oils DO have a higher moly concentration (as well as more ZDDP, and other additives like boron, calcium, magnesium, etc.) than almost ALL of the 'on the shelf at Wal Mart', API approved, 'Starburst' labelled, and manufacturer specced, oils.
(Otherwise, this line of oil would HAVE those approvals, if the additive levels were lower, AND Amsoil wanted to pay for the VERY CO$TLY certifications.)

So the higher moly ppm in your used oil sample does not surprise me in the least. ;)

Rhinopolis

A high VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis) content amount is starting at ~450 ppm and up for dimer type moly (Red Line's 'street oils' contain from ~550 ppm up to about 950 ppm of the dimer type moly as an example), and ~150 and up for the trimer type moly.
Since molybdenum (EITHER form) is a 'sacrificial' type of anti-wear/anti-friction additive, it SHOULD deplete over time, and during the course of an OCI (Oil Change Interval), and show that in a UOA (Used Oil Analysis).

As for the elevated lead in your UOA; does Ford use a lead alloy for the main and crank bearings in these engines?
If so, then I would expect to see some higher levels in the UOAs, maybe even up until the 20K mile mark.
(How many miles on yours currently?)

Also, if you used an oil with a higher STARTING moly content than the UOA you are comparing to, obviously you will show a higher level than the UOA you are citing, even after an OCI depletion.

As far as I know, the Amsoil Sig Series oils DO have a higher moly concentration (as well as more ZDDP, and other additives like boron, calcium, magnesium, etc.) than almost ALL of the 'on the shelf at Wal Mart', API approved, 'Starburst' labelled, and manufacturer specced, oils.
(Otherwise, this line of oil would HAVE those approvals, if the additive levels were lower, AND Amsoil wanted to pay for the VERY CO$TLY certifications.)

So the higher moly ppm in your used oil sample does not surprise me in the least. ;)
Thanks for the break down, and my engine had right at 7k miles at the time that I sampled the oil.

XanRules

at the risk of admitting i didn't read the full thread, are we starting to show a clear winner as to which oils the car likes and which it doesn't? I know after years of research people found that Rotella T6 got along with turbo Subarus and the BRZ/FRS/86 got great results with Eneos Sustina. Just curious if we had a clear winner on these motors, too.

First American car, apologies for the silly question. :)

Quisp

1000 Post Club
at the risk of admitting i didn't read the full thread, are we starting to show a clear winner as to which oils the car likes and which it doesn't? I know after years of research people found that Rotella T6 got along with turbo Subarus and the BRZ/FRS/86 got great results with Eneos Sustina. Just curious if we had a clear winner on these motors, too.

How would a winner be determined? I don't think you could go wrong with Rotella.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

IF it were not almost $20.00/quart, even on ebay/amazon (OR if Sparktec would EVER bother to pick up their damned phones AT ALL! [mad]), and were more widely stocked/distributed, I would definitely use the Sustina 0W-20 in the winter for this car, as it has the very highest V.I. of any available oil, AND a very high starting TBN as well. [wink] [thumb]

XanRules

How would a winner be determined? I don't think you could go wrong with Rotella.
"best" would be consistently great results on UOAs and very few motor problems. I think folks determined Rotella was great in the Subaru motors after people running it at very high power levels had minimal oil consumption/blow-by, putting lots of trouble-free miles on heavily modified engines, and getting great results on UOAs.

The ST takes 5w20, right? I know Rotella is a 5w40 so I'm curious as to how that would impact things like fuel economy, especially for those of us in cooler climates.

IF it were not almost $20.00/quart, even on ebay/amazon (OR if Sparktec would EVER bother to pick up their damned phones AT ALL! [mad]), and were more widely stocked/distributed, I would definitely use the Sustina 0W-20 in the winter for this car, as it has the very highest V.I. of any available oil, AND a very high starting TBN as well. [wink] [thumb]
That's all I ran in my BRZ and I just figured that's what oil cost now. Imagine my surprise when I saw that Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 was $12.95 on Amazon for a five-quart jug. [8]