Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Burning smell when going over 100

Anyone experienced a faint burning smell entering the cabin, like that of plastic, when going 100mph or more?

It's not oil, and I don't see anything burned in the engine bay.
Started smelling this when I hit 120mph, slowed down to 95mph, went away, slowly increased speed to 100-105mph, and started smelling this again.

I have a HUD, warning me if I hit 95mph, so keep it at below this speed for now, until I know where the smell comes from...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anyone experienced a faint burning smell entering the cabin, like that of plastic, when going 100mph or more?

It's not oil, and I don't see anything burned in the engine bay.
Started smelling this when I hit 120mph, slowed down to 95mph, went away, slowly increased speed to 100-105mph, and started smelling this again.

I have a HUD, warning me if I hit 95mph, so keep it at below this speed for now, until I know where the smell comes from...
That is the smell of speed....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Do you have snow tires? Snow tires generally have a low speed rating so they will get hot and start to smell above 100MPH. I had this happen on an old car I had that was running General Altimax Arctics, pretty much the exact situation you are describing.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Isnt the oil change like 15k and takes like 5 people to do it? Why isn't that car in your profile? [giggle]
I felt like it would be sort of tacky to put it in my profile if I didn't actually own it. Your comment about the oil change reminded me of an article in Jalopnik I read that talked about some of the ridiculous costs of owning the car. According to them, the cost for a tire change? $87,000!
Maybe the burning smell is your money burning up.

The Veyron uses special Michelin PAX tires found on no other car. They were designed specifically for the Bugatti's capabilities and can only be removed from the wheels in France, a process that costs $70,000. The tires themselves cost $17,000 per set.

https://jalopnik.com/5534842/why-the-bugatti-veyron-costs-17-million/