Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thermal R&D exhaust keeps coming loose

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I
Took the car to St Louis, little over 600 miles round trip. Longest drive I've done with it, usually take my wife's car on trips. Encountered some horrible roads and a large piece of a semi tire, which hit the thermal crossbrace.

Exhaust is holding up well. I figured if it was going to come loose again it would have happened on this trip.

Couple things I learned, stock suspension is awful on long trips. Also the recaro seats are great but I need more up angle under my legs, my right leg was killing me. I'm thinking of adding spacers to the front seat bolts to get a little more angle.
Interesting how tall are you? Also how long are your legs? My experience witht the Recaros was I wanted to space them down a bit in front . Though I would like to drop the seating position down a inch or two overall as compared to sitting in my Focus I do sit higher in the ST.
Back on the topic have not had any problems with my Thermal so far., as far bolts loosening. We did use my stock hangers as my car just hit the 1k Mark mileage wise and my pipes are close to the underside of the bumper cover.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I'm 6'3" and drove 24 hours to Long Island, NY and was perfectly fine besides my butt being sore but I blame that on my boney butt.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm 5'10 drove from Mpls to key west Florida in the FiST...boney but here also....never thought they would be as comfortable as they were

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #24
I

Interesting how tall are you? Also how long are your legs? My experience witht the Recaros was I wanted to space them down a bit in front . Though I would like to drop the seating position down a inch or two overall as compared to sitting in my Focus I do sit higher in the ST.
Back on the topic have not had any problems with my Thermal so far., as far bolts loosening. We did use my stock hangers as my car just hit the 1k Mark mileage wise and my pipes are close to the underside of the bumper cover.
I'm only 5'10" but longer legs and shorter torso.

I'm getting old and need the support under my legs.

I do wish there was a way to lower the seats but not really possible.

I put 3/4" aluminum spacers and long bolts in my scion xb on the seats, to lift the front up and it made a huge difference.

I'm thinking of doing 1/2" on just the driver side seat on the fiesta.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #25
Hahaha bony butt club here too. I also have a right knee injury and that could be why my leg was cramping.

The muscles could be over working. I just couldn't get comfortable.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm only 5'10" but longer legs and shorter torso.

I'm getting old and need the support under my legs.

I do wish there was a way to lower the seats but not really possible.

I put 3/4" aluminum spacers and long bolts in my scion xb on the seats, to lift the front up and it made a huge difference.

I'm thinking of doing 1/2" on just the driver side seat on the fiesta.
Ya I am shorter more F1 driver sized at 5’7” my problem with the Recaros was the raised my legs up more at the front causing a lean back effect. Otherwise I love them for the fit and do feel they make the interior more sporty and less econobox.

I looked at stock seat bases vs the Recaros and figured out the Recaros have around a inch and a half raise at the front part of the mount bracket. Which is partially responsible for people feeling like the Recaros sitting you higher than the base seats.

This actually could be trimmed down as its literally a 2-2.5 inch piece of sheet metal on each side that could be sectioned down and inch or so.

The rest is the fact that even the base seats position a person higher in the car than most Sports cars and even Focuses. That is in part due to the platform being based on a econobox and the actually floor mounting positions are raised up off floorpan by close to two inches.

If one wanted to go all custom you could size down the floorpan mount position to place seats lower. Its the kind of thing Raamaudio has mentioned doing in other cars and could be done in ours if one is handy with a welder.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #27
Update: it came loose again, I tightened it up on 10/7/18, made it almost 3 months. Time to figure out a more permanent solution.

koozy

3000 Post Club
It's an unfortunate reality of slip-fits. You really have to crank and crush down on the pipes, use exhaust paste sealant, tack-weld, etc.
Any of those solutions will probably pose difficulties when trying to remove the system later.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Update: it came loose again, I tightened it up on 10/7/18, made it almost 3 months. Time to figure out a more permanent solution.
How tight did you crank it down? When it first slipped off on me I cranked it down pretty good, without being too overbearing, and so far its been fine and hasn't moved. I got a paint marker and put lines on each side of the slip clamp to make sure it wasn't moving in any direction and so far it hasn't budged.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
How tight did you crank it down? When it first slipped off on me I cranked it down pretty good, without being too overbearing, and so far its been fine and hasn't moved. I got a paint marker and put lines on each side of the slip clamp to make sure it wasn't moving in any direction and so far it hasn't budged.
I'm gonna climb under the old poop box tomorrow I think...grab some blue loctite and let it rip.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #31
Didn't use a torque wrench. Can't find a decent one I can afford. But I used a 24" breaker ratchet deal and really gave it my all. I am going to probably tack weld it. I want vband but it will be costly. $150 for 2 vibrant vband clamps plus whatever it costs to have them put on. It's too bad cause I love the exhaust, it's perfect but I'm considering going with something else too.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I took the time to Write Thermal R& D to enquire of a recommendation of a torque spec or use of a thread locker on the clamps. I will keep you all posted when I hear back from Thermal.[wrenchin]

dmb

are you saying the nut and bolts come loose? and you didn't use a lock washer or nut? or if the clamp worked its way loose? try some exhaust sealant around the whole clamp then let it set overnight. Cat exhaust sealant is the best p/n 2p2333 but at $140 a can? i'd try the cheepie auto zone stuff. if for some reason you didn't use a lock washer try that too. Good Luck Dennis

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #34
are you saying the nut and bolts come loose? and you didn't use a lock washer or nut? or if the clamp worked its way loose? try some exhaust sealant around the whole clamp then let it set overnight. Cat exhaust sealant is the best p/n 2p2333 but at $140 a can? i'd try the cheepie auto zone stuff. if for some reason you didn't use a lock washer try that too. Good Luck Dennis
I haven't had time to get under it. I just know it's getting louder and the exhaust tips are sticking out more than normal. I'm calling a couple shops tomorrow to see about adding vband clamps. If it's crazy expensive I'm going to tack weld the clamps on and double nut or lock washers to be safe. Thanks for the help.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Didn't use a torque wrench. Can't find a decent one I can afford. But I used a 24" breaker ratchet deal and really gave it my all. I am going to probably tack weld it. I want vband but it will be costly. $150 for 2 vibrant vband clamps plus whatever it costs to have them put on. It's too bad cause I love the exhaust, it's perfect but I'm considering going with something else too.
Ah, I see. Yeah I used my Ingersol Rand 1/2" drive cordless impact to snug them up. It definitely helps.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #36
Ah, I see. Yeah I used my Ingersol Rand 1/2" drive cordless impact to snug them up. It definitely helps.
I use a corded 1/2" Milwaukee impact and finished up with the 24" bar. But I don't know how much it's helped since I keep having issues.

Would it work to slide the clamp out of the way and drill a small hole through both pipes at the joint and pop in a steel rivet, then reclamp over it?

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Would it work to slide the clamp out of the way and drill a small hole through both pipes at the joint and pop in a steel rivet, then reclamp over it?
If it worked at least it could be drilled out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
My sheet metal shims are still working. Could give them a try.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ford Community Posts