Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Flywheels

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Being as I have had my Lightweight Flywheel for all summer I can say that when i do take it out around town it is really no different than the heavy factory unit for drivability. My milage clutch release and NHV all were a non issue for me as it was not much different than stock. I will say I never drove it with the stock turbo as it went in with the big turbo upgrade and to me that was a little bit of a learning curve with less spool as early but nothing I could not live with. IF I recall the Spec Unit i have took off about the same weight from 24ish to 10ish lbs and pedal feel is the same and grab and release felt the same.. Hope yours works out as good.. Nice looking unit all steel where as the one I have is Aluminum with a steel friction face on the clutch disk area.
In for the Good results too ;) Im sure you will find bliss also ..
Who sells the flywheel you have [MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] ?

What you guys are describing is what I hear a lot with the really light flywheels (7.5 lbs or less). I had an 11 lb flywheel on one of my cars and it wasn't any less drivable than it was at the OEM 17 lbs, the RPMs just dropped faster if you weren't quick to shift.
[MENTION=3220]TheGreenOne[/MENTION], you are correct, the RPMs will drop faster because of the lower rotating mass, but only when you push the clutch in. When you're coasting in gear, you don't notice it because it's the forward momentum of the car in relation to the many points of drag (friction) on the car that keeps you coasting, not the rotating mass of the engine (as much). I didn't even notice the difference when coasting in my other 2400 lb car when I went from 17 lbs to 11 lbs.
TIL. Thanks for the informative reply.

kevinatfms

I wonder how forgiving this flywheel is in traffic.
If its anything like the switching of a GT500's DMF to SMF then its going to suck major balls. Chatter and unforgiving in slow maneuvers. Noisy as hell and extreme vibration also a problem. No more silky smooth power delivery. You will feel every instance of engine feedback. Also, has the company done testing on the transmission durability with the SMF? I would be quite frightened to think that the excessive NVH caused by a SMF could lead to trans failure later down the road.

On the good side, massive rotating weight reduction and not having to worry about total failure in the event the DMF internal spring does collapse.

Im sticking with the DMF but would love to see how well this responds during competition.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Who sells the flywheel you have [MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] ?
I got my through Chalon at PCA-1 He was very helpful.

If its anything like the switching of a GT500's DMF to SMF then its going to suck major balls. Chatter and unforgiving in slow maneuvers. Noisy as hell and extreme vibration also a problem. No more silky smooth power delivery. You will feel every instance of engine feedback. Also, has the company done testing on the transmission durability with the SMF? I would be quite frightened to think that the excessive NVH caused by a SMF could lead to trans failure later down the road.
I have not seen nor felt much if any of this major ball sucking that you speak of [wink].. and have not felt much in the way of NVH change but YMMV everyone has a different level of NVH they like.. As for testing I can not say what did or did not happen but to take 15lbs or so off the rotating mass of the engine does make the car as a whole lighter and allows the engine to rev up or down quicker. And if you have a issue with rpm dropping too much tween shifts why not have your tuner or you if so equiped add a smidge of rev hang to keep the turbo on spool. Much like FFS does at WFO. So many things we can do with these cars today in the ECU to rework the drawbacks of yesterday.. Just my two cents. ;)

kevinatfms

Glad it has worked for you so far. I am sure more NVH was introduced but at your build level it may not be apparent due to other increases in NVH from stiffer mounts, dampers, wheel/tire setup(this could actually help NVH with 16's and 15's). It is all relative to the original NVH level though.

Let us know the long term and keep us updated.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Glad it has worked for you so far. I am sure more NVH was introduced but at your build level it may not be apparent due to other increases in NVH from stiffer mounts, dampers, wheel/tire setup(this could actually help NVH with 16's and 15's). It is all relative to the original NVH level though.

Let us know the long term and keep us updated.
That is so very True I will keep everyone posted if anything should run amiss. ;) So far so good though very happy with the stock like feel

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I got my through Chalon at PCA-1 He was very helpful.

I have not seen nor felt much if any of this major ball sucking that you speak of [wink].. and have not felt much in the way of NVH change but YMMV everyone has a different level of NVH they like.. As for testing I can not say what did or did not happen but to take 15lbs or so off the rotating mass of the engine does make the car as a whole lighter and allows the engine to rev up or down quicker. And if you have a issue with rpm dropping too much tween shifts why not have your tuner or you if so equiped add a smidge of rev hang to keep the turbo on spool. Much like FFS does at WFO. So many things we can do with these cars today in the ECU to rework the drawbacks of yesterday.. Just my two cents. ;)
Thanks for the info! [:)]

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
I finally got the car back on the road after what seemed like endless dramas. It must be about 5 or 6 weeks but I have lost track of time.

The flywheel, well I definitely like its characteristics. It free revs considerately quicker. With the different turbo and catless down pipe it almost barks at you when you prod the throttle. Rev hang, zero.
I have not had any trouble with stalling and I can't feel any great change in NVH but I am running a stiff lower torque mount that did create a little vibration before the flywheel was installed.

I am running a solid friction disc even though I said I would not do this. Because of this is a some initial vibration on clutch take up and I will need to take a little care in this regard.

I have no tune yet for the BT so I have not run it at full load but I am surprised at the lack of difference in the NVH. WOT 4 gear with wastegate spring pressure (15psi) up to 3500rpm produce really no real noticeable difference in NVH.

I don't have a tune yet for the BT

MOFiST

I finally got the car back on the road after what seemed like endless dramas. It must be about 5 or 6 weeks but I have lost track of time.

The flywheel, well I definitely like its characteristics. It free revs considerately quicker. With the different turbo and catless down pipe it almost barks at you when you prod the throttle. Rev hang, zero.
I have not had any trouble with stalling and I can't feel any great change in NVH but I am running a stiff lower torque mount that did create a little vibration before the flywheel was installed.

I am running a solid friction disc even though I said I would not do this. Because of this is a some initial vibration on clutch take up and I will need to take a little care in this regard.

I have no tune yet for the BT so I have not run it at full load but I am surprised at the lack of difference in the NVH. WOT 4 gear with wastegate spring pressure (15psi) up to 3500rpm produce really no real noticeable difference in NVH.

I don't have a tune yet for the BT
Wow you've doubled down and then some. Will you be documenting any of this saga in your build thread?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Transmission & Drivetrain 7