Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Piercemotorsports Fiesta ST Rear Torsion Bar!

Trader history for Piercemotorsports (0)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Hey guys---they're finally done at powdercoating and we picked them up this morning/starting to unload them---they'll all ship out this weekend---the custom color requests should go out as well-I'll send tracking info to everyone when available-thanks again for your patience, the wait will be worth it!!!!

I know you're busy but I sent you a PM a couple days ago. Just wondering if you got it or it. Thanks!

Waterfan

The product description page for the STREET Suspension Package states "The package contains our rear torsion bar which settles down the nervous rear/helps control rear bump steer".

I am a brand new owner of a 2014 CPO (4 days only) and I've noted some "jitteriness/nervousness" on a particular on ramp/righthand sweeper at, well, let's call it "freeway speeds". I'd like to hear more how the rear torsion bar helps "settle down" the rear end. (or if it is just a simple case of me and the FiST getting to know each other)

OP
P
Thread Starter #85
Hey congrats on your new car!!! So when comparing the FIST to other cars with a torsion beam, the Fiesta is brilliant!!! When comparing it to IRS suspension in other cars it's a bit like you've described. The torsion beam is an economical way to get the rear suspension handled and it imitates IRS by twisting---unfortunately it's not able to truly eliminate toe change from side to side over bumps because they build it with toe in from the factory. So when your cornering and you hit a bump the rear is going to move more than an IRS car---the torsion bar stiffens the beam and helps to eliminate the toe change/twisting which settles things down a bit. It also helps improve the overall balance/handling of the car---they're built with understeer for the average driver---the package helps bring the car closer to neutral balance.

Waterfan

Hey congrats on your new car!!! So when comparing the FIST to other cars with a torsion beam, the Fiesta is brilliant!!! When comparing it to IRS suspension in other cars it's a bit like you've described. The torsion beam is an economical way to get the rear suspension handled and it imitates IRS by twisting---unfortunately it's not able to truly eliminate toe change from side to side over bumps because they build it with toe in from the factory. So when your cornering and you hit a bump the rear is going to move more than an IRS car---the torsion bar stiffens the beam and helps to eliminate the toe change/twisting which settles things down a bit. It also helps improve the overall balance/handling of the car---they're built with understeer for the average driver---the package helps bring the car closer to neutral balance.
Wow, thanks.

For the record, I'm comparing my experience in other non-IRS cars, which I have nothing against (for a street driven car, I don't think I can tell the difference). Most recent ride was a B5 Passat with Neuspeed Sports and Bilsteins, which has none of the nervousness in the rear, but the chassis is MUCH softer than the FiST and the wheelbase MUCH longer (exactly 10"? And also 16 year old suspension components contributing the the softness :))

To say the FiST is more planted and fun in everyway is a gross understatement and this is the first car I've ever owned where I have no idea how to improve upon it without destroying some other aspect. Still in the honeymoon period, maybe?

The car is far more capable as a car than I am as a driver. I may not do anything other than short shifter and 16" lightweight wheels and sports tires when the stock REs poop out. But I'm strongly leaning towards mild chassis stiffening as a "safe" next step (STREET package looks really attractive, maybe the rear lateral brace too).

Thanks for listening and thanks for the elaboration on the rear torsion bar purpose.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Wow, thanks.

For the record, I'm comparing my experience in other non-IRS cars, which I have nothing against (for a street driven car, I don't think I can tell the difference). Most recent ride was a B5 Passat with Neuspeed Sports and Bilsteins, which has none of the nervousness in the rear, but the chassis is MUCH softer than the FiST and the wheelbase MUCH longer (exactly 10"? And also 16 year old suspension components contributing the the softness :))

To say the FiST is more planted and fun in everyway is a gross understatement and this is the first car I've ever owned where I have no idea how to improve upon it without destroying some other aspect. Still in the honeymoon period, maybe?

The car is far more capable as a car than I am as a driver. I may not do anything other than short shifter and 16" lightweight wheels and sports tires when the stock REs poop out. But I'm strongly leaning towards mild chassis stiffening as a "safe" next step (STREET package looks really attractive, maybe the rear lateral brace too).

Thanks for listening and thanks for the elaboration on the rear torsion bar purpose.
I have the 2 pt brace that pierce offers and will soon be getting their street torsion bar and front tower strut brace. All that will be plenty for my spirited daily driving I do. I never plan to track it.

Waterfan

I have the 2 pt brace that pierce offers and will soon be getting their street torsion bar and front tower strut brace. All that will be plenty for my spirited daily driving I do. I never plan to track it.
I'm not even comfortable in the car yet, but once I am, I'm pretty sure I'm headed your direction :)

Chris G

Received the torsion brace - beautiful piece. Hopefully it'll go on this weekend...

Mine arrived yesterday.

On the Install, what Torque should I torque the bolts to?
Should I use Loc-Tite?

Install instructions not necessarily needed, but It would be nice to know how much of a gorilla arm I should use when tightening the bolts.

--Max

OP
P
Thread Starter #91
Hey Max-guys 80lbs of torque is fine---it's a grade 8 1/2" fine thread bolt. You can get over 80lbs with a wrench/by hand so it's marginal gorilla arm!

I am very interested in getting the PM street suspension package. I do a lot of autocrossing and within this year I make take it to a couple track days. Is this the kit to go with then? I'm hearing good stuff about this kit.

P.S. Any special offers or pricing happening at the moment? :)

I just ordered the trunk strut tower brace and the torsion bar brace about 2 days ago. I wanted the street spec'd torsion bar but really don't remember checking that option. Is there any way you can check that for me? And correct it if necessary. Looking forward to the products!

OP
P
Thread Starter #95
I just ordered the trunk strut tower brace and the torsion bar brace about 2 days ago. I wanted the street spec'd torsion bar but really don't remember checking that option. Is there any way you can check that for me? And correct it if necessary. Looking forward to the products!
Hey there-thanks for the order! It shipped and went with the STREET Version Torsion---we wont send the RACE version unless someone specifically requests it-thanks!

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Which pieces do you recommend for a spirited weekend driver?

OP
P
Thread Starter #100
Yes, we have both the street and track packages in stock usually all the time and ship daily---the race packages are typically built to order/a few weeks out.