Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stealthy Frankenfiesta

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Based on what mountune suggests, this tune will add a TON of torque -- especially in the mid-range. The HP also appears to come on earlier and hold up longer (nearly to redline). That's going to be noticeable at the track in 3rd and 4th gear. Third is the primary corner exit gear (where the torque will come in to play) and 4th is where the car gets to stretch out a little on a longer straight (HP will come in to play there). I was short shifting a little bit in the MP215 tune to sustain TQ, we'll see if I need to do that now.

Around town, I don't really notice much difference. It's very civil. It does go like the devil when asked to accelerate in third. I'm sure I've shocked a few folks that were thinking, "don't do it...don't do it" as I made a right turn merge in front of them onto a nearby arterial that has some runway to allow me to air it out a bit. Realistically, I can really only air out 2nd gear in this setting. By the time I'm into third at all, I'm easily over 60 (speed limit is 45 on that stretch...it is wide open with no cars *normally* turning, entering, or exiting in front of me as I accelerate, but is a bit of a speed trap as well).

This is not a car I drive much, so it's going to be difficult to really assess any difference until I'm out on a closed-circuit road course. That won't happen until late spring soonest.

Having said that, it is quite sporty with the MR230 setup and I am very happy with the adjustment. It is a little louder in the 3300 RPM range under WOT with the high-flow cat, but I have not really noticed any drone with the mountune cat/Borla combination. Second gear WOT exhaust sounds are very nice; I have not had a chance to air it out third yet, but I suspect that will be very pleasant as well.

Aside: Considering a couple of cosmetic bits, too. :blushes: [shhh]
Thank you for to update on the MR230. I don't track the car so getting the perspective of a street/highway drive is great. The downpipe is the only piece I am missing to upgrade to the MR230. I will wait a bit for it (maybe). [shhh]

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #82
Thank you for to update on the MR230. I don't track the car so getting the perspective of a street/highway drive is great. The downpipe is the only piece I am missing to upgrade to the MR230. I will wait a bit for it (maybe). [shhh]
If you're not going to take this car to the track, personally, i would not do it. In truth, most of what I've done to this car I would not have done if I wasn't planning on taking it to the track. I almost certainly would not be putting in the oil cooler and radiator upgrades. Why would I really need an oil catch can? Coilovers? Track wheels and pads? Brake cooling? Braided brake lines? Tow hooks? Extinguisher? OMP pedals? Even the MP 215 (although that might be worth having even on the street)? Really none of that is needed for around town to enjoy this car.

The only things that might make sense are mostly, if not solely, cosmetic. Well, except the all-weather floor mats and the all-weather tires and maybe the Turbo Transformer. LOL.

Hah. All that #$@%ing $$$$ for a few days a year at the track. Sigh.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
If you're not going to take this car to the track, personally, i would not do it. In truth, most of what I've done to this car I would not have done if I wasn't planning on taking it to the track. I almost certainly would not be putting in the oil cooler and radiator upgrades. Why would I really need an oil catch can? Coilovers? Track wheels and pads? Brake cooling? Braided brake lines? Tow hooks? Extinguisher? OMP pedals? Even the MP 215 (although that might be worth having even on the street)? Really none of that is needed for around town to enjoy this car.

The only things that might make sense are mostly, if not solely, cosmetic. Well, except the all-weather floor mats and the all-weather tires and maybe the Turbo Transformer. LOL.

Hah. All that #$@%ing $$$$ for a few days a year at the track. Sigh.
I understand and agree the car is great stock. I myself am keeping the car for many many years(maybe 10) and replacing wear items with better or before they wear (CBE is an example of better). The OCC is catching blow by, the MP215 (MTUNE more precise) helps me keep an eye on thing (temp etc...). In order to protect me car I have gotten the skid plate, mudflaps and planning on the breaking line as gravel can chew them up. The down pipe will simply be an update when the stock is older instead of another stocker. If I did not have this hobby of working on the I would be doing something else likely not as much fun. :p

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #84
I understand and agree the car is great stock. I myself am keeping the car for many many years(maybe 10) and replacing wear items with better or before they wear (CBE is an example of better). The OCC is catching blow by, the MP215 (MTUNE more precise) helps me keep an eye on thing (temp etc...). In order to protect me car I have gotten the skid plate, mudflaps and planning on the breaking line as gravel can chew them up. The down pipe will simply be an update when the stock is older instead of another stocker. If I did not have this hobby of working on the I would be doing something else likely not as much fun. :p
That's all good reasoning -- especially the hobby part. And it's true about the catch can actually doing something whether on the street or on the track. But, really, there are a lot of cars running around without catch cans doing just fine. Hah.

Nonetheless, I am happy with the car and it is a lovely distraction from the insane world we live in today. Our technologies have so surpassed our social/cultural abilities to come together in a rational way, it is truly mind-boggling (on both ends of the technological-sociological scale).

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I very much appreciate that your mods are almost totally for actual performance instead of just style statements:)

I do have to differ on the oil catch can as not many street only cars have a lot of miles on them yet and it seems a good if not perfect way to help prevent build up on the valves which will reduce performance and induce other issues then finally have to be dealt with which will be a big pain in the arse and wallet. Time will tell of course but I think it prudent to install one on all the FiST cars no matter the use.

I do also agree about the distraction from the insane world we are in, now that I have been retired for 3 years helping very cool people make their cars better and RVing since July and no shop to work in I have become a bit depressed though I have an incredible life with a wonderful wife....I need to get to the track and around real people more but been too busy to go all year:(

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #86
I very much appreciate that your mods are almost totally for actual performance instead of just style statements:)

I do have to differ on the oil catch can as not many street only cars have a lot of miles on them yet and it seems a good if not perfect way to help prevent build up on the valves which will reduce performance and induce other issues then finally have to be dealt with which will be a big pain in the arse and wallet. Time will tell of course but I think it prudent to install one on all the FiST cars no matter the use.

I do also agree about the distraction from the insane world we are in, now that I have been retired for 3 years helping very cool people make their cars better and RVing since July and no shop to work in I have become a bit depressed though I have an incredible life with a wonderful wife....I need to get to the track and around real people more but been too busy to go all year:(
Regarding the oil catch can: I have one now, so, prophylactic applied.

I also appreciate all the ideas you're providing separate from this thread, Rick. I'm trying to get on top of my spending on this thing and enjoy it a little bit in 2016.

You never know, it might get another Ford product to share its garage space in the coming year or so. That, however, would get almost zero modifications. Brake lines, performance fluids, track pads, probably a fire extinguisher. I think it comes with a tow hook. Eh, tune? Maybe with a K&N or other filter. I think I'd get that with the full on forged-wheels/Michelin tire package and the nav package -- but probably no moon roof. Then pickup a true, 17-inch winter wheel package. Done. Hah.

Update: I have come to my senses and will not be pursuing the AWD Ford beast headed our way in 2016. Instead, I will probably save up my familial good will on the topic of car futures and spend it at some point on a sporty RWD roadster to replace my daily driver wagon. This is a "potential" future, as in maybe, maybe not, but definitely not the Nitrous Blue monster I had in mind for a little while.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #87
Finally dropped the car off to get the Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler installed. While visiting the shop, car is getting ready for track season, plus a few other odds and ends were bolted on. Here's a couple pics from the shop of the new 3D carbon spoiler and mountune lip.

When I get the car back, I'll snap some pics of some of the bits that have been added since the last time I took pics of the car, from tow hooks to fire extinguisher and OMP pedals. Lots of odds and ends. Some things are a little trickier to actually capture now that they are installed.

Coming: TTR mounts and Sico vents ordered.

Almost to fhe finish line with this thing. [raceflag]

Woohoo! Time to enjoy it before they put me out to pasture completely.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #88
Just about set for 2016 track days!

Got the car back Friday and snapped pics of various visible changes since late last summer.

This is my fire extinguisher mounting setup. I got it JUST before [MENTION=3366]Motorstate[/MENTION] started offering his bolt-on option. I probably would have purchased his if I didn't already get this done. His is MUCH more cost effective. I won't mention how much mine cost or the cost of getting it welded to the seat frame. It does stay in *relative* position as the seat slides and is quick to extract (pull pin shown out). Water under the bridge, but this one from our member is very nice for the cost.

OMP pedals and the Boosted Designs dead pedal. I have to say that the OMP pedals coupled with the [MENTION=678]no-pistons[/MENTION] throttle lifter make heel-toe throttle blipping very easy. I really use the side of my foot, but in any event, much easier than the stock pedals. Makes up a little for the cluster @#$% of $$$ spent on the Auto-Blip BS that never worked for this car.

Pierce Motorsports front tow hook (requires stock crash beam). Props to [MENTION=1301]Piercemotorsports[/MENTION] for being easy to work with and a very nice piece.

Rear tow hook (Pierce sourced the hook for me, but Cantrell Motorsports did the mounting bit locally). Using a little velcro to keep the thing from flopping around at the track.

Lathe Werks knurled hybrid shift knob (excuse the lint, dust etc., as you can tell I'm kind of lax about that stuff). VERY nicely made and comfy, but not cheap.

Down view of Mishimoto fan shroud. Can't really see the new radiator or the oil cooler in there, but they're both in (whew). All things considered, looks stock! I like. Can't wait to get this setup out to the track.

The car as it sits now. Looks pretty stock, which I like (with a few personalized bits).

Frankenfiesta won't be a tire shredding monster at the track, but maybe I can sneak up on some unsuspecting Elise drivers at my next Lotus day. That's always fun.

Just waiting on the TTR mounts and the Sico vents. After that? Well, actually there are those 15x8 TD PR 1.2 wheels coming from Discount too and some possible odds and ends (Schroth harness and a Simpson "hybrid" HANS thing) under consideration, but otherwise, just track day and seasonal consumables going forward (which are bad enough).

Keeping fingers crossed I can hold to that, but really feels like this is as far I'm wanting to go with the little tin can.

Got the car back Friday and snapped pics of various visible changes since late last summer.

This is my fire extinguisher mounting setup. I got it JUST before [MENTION=3366]Motorstate[/MENTION] started offering his bolt-on option. I probably would have purchased his if I didn't already get this done. His is MUCH more cost effective. I won't mention how much mine cost or the cost of getting it welded to the seat frame. It does stay in *relative* position as the seat slides and is quick to extract (pull pin shown out). Water under the bridge, but this one from our member is very nice for the cost.

OMP pedals and the Boosted Designs dead pedal. I have to say that the OMP pedals coupled with the [MENTION=678]no-pistons[/MENTION] throttle lifter make heel-toe throttle blipping very easy. I really use the side of my foot, but in any event, much easier than the stock pedals. Makes up a little for the cluster @#$% of $$$ spent on the Auto-Blip BS that never worked for this car.

Pierce Motorsports front tow hook (requires stock crash beam). Very nice piece.

Rear tow hook (Pierce sourced the hook for me, but Cantrell Motorsports did the mounting bit locally). Using a little velcro to keep the thing from flopping around at the track.

Lathe Works knurled hybrid shift knob (excuse the lint, dust etc., as you can tell I'm kind of lax about that stuff). VERY nicely made and comfy, but not cheap.

Down view of Mishimoto fan shroud. Can't really see the new radiator or the oil cooler in there, but they're both in (whew). All things considered, looks stock! I like. Can't wait to get this setup out to the track.

The car as it sits now. Looks pretty stock, which I like (with a few personalized bits).

Frankenfiesta won't be a tire shredding monster at the track, but maybe I can sneak up on some unsuspecting Elise drivers at my next Lotus day. That's always fun.

Just waiting on the TTR mounts and the Sico vents. After that? Well, actually there are those 15x8 TD PR 1.2 wheels coming from Discount too and some possible odds and ends (Schroth harness and a Simpson "hybrid" HANS thing) under consideration, but otherwise, just track day and seasonal consumables going forward (which are bad enough).

Keeping fingers crossed I can hold to that, but really feels like this is as far I'm wanting to go with the little tin can.
Thanks for the shout out! Car is looking good. I've got my first autocross coming up this Sunday. Can't wait to get out there again!

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #90
Thanks for the shout out! Car is looking good. I've got my first autocross coming up this Sunday. Can't wait to get out there again!
I was hoping to join the Alfa kids in Portland this coming weekend, but it's looking more and more like rain. Sigh. Well, the TTR mounts are made and queued for shipping. I'll get them installed when the shop has a window. Step by step.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #91
"Last" bits coming together. These landed today via Fedex. Won't go on for a couple of weeks, but getting closer.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #92
This weekend I visited a local race shop, 425 Motorsports, with my niece's husband. He's got a 2015 Focus ST and is looking to get into HPDEs and autocross. My sister is 12 years older than me, so my niece and her husband are not kids. Anyway, he got a helmet and a head sock. I left the shop ruminating about harnesses and HANS devices. Today I ordered a Schroth Quick Fit Pro harness and a HANS Sport II Model 20L. 425 had a little sale going. Close to done now! Hah. Just waiting on the last bits to come in the mail. I know not everyone is in agreement regarding HANS devices (or harnesses), but I'm going this route.
[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION]: I could not resist. I guess it's too late to cut up my credit cards because all the bits are already bought.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #93
TTR passenger-side and transmission mounts are installed!

Thanks [MENTION=4448]amarweb@sithracing[/MENTION] of SITH Racing for the great intro price on the things. They are stout. There is zero torque steer on WOT in 1 and 2 for my mildly tuned track toy. I suspect they'll really help the big HP cars.

Schroth Quick Fit Pro harnesses went in as well. Really cool how they can be completely clipped in and out so easily.

For anyone else thinking of getting these, I'd recommend adjusting the harnesses to a loose position that allows you to REALLY torque down on the lap belt tensioning straps once your are situated the way you want to be. Cinch down on the shoulder harnesses AFTER you are really secure with the lap tensioners. The 4-strap harnesses like to ride up a little if you do not do that.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #96
Stealthy Frankenfiesta is nearly done

After a 2-month wait, I finally received the Sico vent assemblies/templates/grills. Another week, then finally them mounted on the car a couple of weeks ago. The fitment is good, not quite factory (unlike the somewhat amazing 3D Carbon ducktail spoiler and mountune splitter fitment), but certainly good enough for my purposes.

Local body shop owner Mark Israel of Eurotech Bodywerkes did the painting and installation.

Mark used 3M 8115 panel bonding adhesive to attach the vent frames in place and the grills were secured using 0.032 inch thick stainless safety wire threaded through tiny holes drilled into the underside of the frames in four places.

Here are some images of the results:

Overall Hood:

Overall car:

Close up of vent frame and grill installed:

Underside view:

Close up of grill attachment with wire:

Mark's comment while we inspected the installation: "Almost looks stock."

Considering I'm trying to keep this thing as stealthy as possible, while still making a few visual and performance adjustments, that's a good thing.

This car is close to being done. Time to have a little fun with it. I did get a couple of track days in last month at The Ridge. I've been meaning to do a brief write up about that, but I don't have any data and my lap times were not particularly quick, reflecting my newness to the circuit. Hoping to get out at least for a couple more days at The Ridge and one or two at Portland.

pics are not working for me.
So without data, how were your track days? :) don't hold out on us :)

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #99
pics are not working for me.
So without data, how were your track days? :) don't hold out on us :)
I reassigned the pics to a public folder. Do they show up for you now? I could always see them.

As for my thoughts on the car at the two track days, I'll write up a few notes and maybe drop them into the "tracking" subforum and link to that from here. My POV is mostly just seat of the pants and anecdotal, so not sure how useful it will be to anyone really.