Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Traction Control Preference for Driving on the Street

Traction Control Preference for Driving on the Street

• Traction Control On (I do not press the ESC button)

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Sport Mode (Press ESC Button)

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Traction Control Off (Hold ESC Button for 4 seconds)

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Jamie Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May, Davide Cironi, and Savage geese are the only Automotive journalist I care about. You have a big ass chip on your shoulder.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Pat Bedard actually competed in SCCA and IMSA sanctioned road racing (and even Indy/CART oval racing) during his auto journalist career, so I take his word/opinions over most all others in his field, even though he retired from BOTH endeavors long ago. ;)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Pat Bedard actually competed in SCCA and IMSA sanctioned road racing (and even Indy/CART oval racing) during his auto journalist career, so I take his word/opinions over most all others in his field, even though he retired from BOTH endeavors long ago. ;)
Jamie Clarkson is my hero in the car world. Just like Ozzy Osbourne is my hero in the music world.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
What we're trying to say is it doesn't matter your experience. We don't care, because your attitude is in the gutter and quite frankly, true skill and experience don't always go hand in hand.

But all of that probably just went right over your head...
That's the best you got? The truth hurts, doesn't it? It's all true, look it up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Pat who? Some has-been old man that likes to lecture people on the Internet with his mightier views?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
What we're trying to say is it doesn't matter your experience. We don't care, because your attitude is in the gutter and quite frankly, true skill and experience don't always go hand in hand.

Yes attitude is everything. I agree hundred percent on that. Some of us have the skill but never had the opportunity to earn the experience.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Agreed 100%. [emoji106][emoji106]
Yes attitude is everything. I agree hundred percent on that. Some of us have the skill but never had the opportunity to earn the experience.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=9629]Ford ST[/MENTION]

By the way, I apologize if I offended you earlier. That wasn't really my intention. I probably should have used a different example to get my point across, but I honestly had nothing against your comment to begin with and I wasn't trying to say that you shouldn't drive like that at all. The country is pretty open after all.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=9629]Ford ST[/MENTION]

By the way, I apologize if I offended you earlier. That wasn't really my intention. I probably should have used a different example to get my point across, but I honestly had nothing against your comment to begin with and I wasn't trying to say that you shouldn't drive like that at all. The country is pretty open after all.

It's all good man but I appreciate it.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Yeah, he was a great driver and automotive journalist. I read his work growing up and later in life had the pleasure of meeting him. He was and is one of my heroes.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club

You don't even have experience to talk about. LOL. Kids, nothing but kids talking shit to the guy with the experience. That's all you guys can do is talk shit but nothing to back up your comments with experience because you have little to none. Not one of you posted anything close to having any professional experience, schooling, driving, etc. I rest my case. I know the difference between pushing your car on the street and the track and on the street you endanger not just your life but innocent people as well. Take it to the track! If you want one modification that is more important than anything you can add to you car, try high-performance driving school and then talk to me. Over and out!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Thanks for proving me right. Have a good day.
You don't even have experience to talk about. LOL. Kids, nothing but kids talking shit to the guy with the experience. That's all you guys can do is talk shit but nothing to back up your comments with experience because you have little to none. Not one of you posted anything close to having any professional experience, schooling, driving, etc. I rest my case. I know the difference between pushing your car on the street and the track and on the street you endanger not just your life but innocent people as well. Take it to the track! If you want one modification that is more important than anything you can add to you car, try high-performance driving school and then talk to me. Over and out!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
This dude is not Pat Bedard. He is a nobody.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Pat who? Some has-been old man that likes to lecture people on the Internet with his mightier views?
Car Guy is NOT Patrick Bedard!! [nono]
(Who was an actual race driver AND journalist for Car & Driver, and never really "lectured" anyone about anything, except for the importance of seat belt use, from first hand HARD crash experience, which I personally agree with. [wink])

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I just leave Traction Control alone...
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/14598-Traction-Control-caught-napping?p=247437&styleid=10
...it seems to take a LOT to get it to kick in. (and that's not a complaint)

Re Stability Control (a.k.a. Sport Mode):
I suspect that it's chief goal is just to keep the rear end in check.
Approximately 18 years ago I had an apartment in a different city. I opted to travel home during a snow emergency when everyone was told to stay off the roads. (because, bored) So being the only one on an untreated highway I could push the limits a bit. Well, I eventually found it... and managed to do a straight-line 360. I've driven under the same conditions before and after that time. That was *the* *only* time I've *ever* lost the back end. I knew and understood exactly what I did to initiate the 360. Putting too much torque to the wheels in attempt to accelerate too fast, I lost traction on one wheel, tried to accelerate harder for the speed loss, vehicle starts to pull to the side that has traction, while holding throttle I attempted to (over) compensate and (too) quickly turn into the side that doesn't have traction, then (too) quickly tried to straighten out and... it flings back in the other direction initiating a 360 as I attenuate throttle control.

Even playing around with the hand brake I've never come close to loosing the back end. Bottom line, I leave SC alone too. I already know how to drive. The car isn't RWD, doesn't have an ass to speak of, is lighter weight and doesn't have enough power in stock form to really justify TC and SC on dry pavement.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^So what you are saying is turn all of them as far off as the switch will allow (or not)?? [???:)]

I do this more so to try and save the factory brakes for as long as possible, than for any of the other 'performance' reasons. [wink]

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I learned to drive many years ago and I prefer to control my car myself.
The only automated driving control that I have resolved to live with is ABS.
I do prefer to keep the ESC off unless during in times of inclement weather or where the road surface is adversely compromised.

I am not advocating that automated driving controls are not a good thing.
I fact I believe there are very many drivers out there that should rely on them.
As for me, if I am not in control, I should be in a taxi or bus.

Dave

Last edited:

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I was driving one of the work vans a couple of weeks ago, some kind of Hyundai. I turned into a corner too quick, wet road, crap tyres and I was hurry. The thing started to go into a huge understeer, almost immediately the ESC came in. You could actually feel it brake the outside front wheel and I suspect One of the rear wheels as well and the vehicle straighten up.
Now if I could control the brakes like this and react as fast I would switch ESC off too.