Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 2 Tune with Stock Intake, any Concern?

So after reading a bunch of threads I have gone ahead with mods that everyone seems to agree give the most bang for the buck -- RMM, Accessport with Tune, and Intercooler for safety/consistency.

I have a 2017 so between the evap issue (seriously not trying to open that can of worms) and a lot of evidence that the factory intake has good flow to start, I would rather not spend $200-400 on an intake. On top of that I've got warranties to think about and intakes tend to get noticed. Also I'd prefer to put those funds toward chassis upgrades or lowering springs for a more balanced car that can handle.

My question is simple: would any harm come of running a Stage 2 tune, say Cobb 91 Stage 2, or Stratified E30 without upgrading the intake first? I reckon I'd just leave a few peak HP and lb. ft on the table, but the intercooler is really the more critical prerequisite to using one of these more aggressive tunes.

For now I'm running Cobb Stage 1 91 and haven't upgraded the intercooler yet, and can I just say DAAAAMMMNN it's incredible what this car can do with just $650 spent and an OTS tune.

SrsBsns

I don't think you need an intake. If anything, just go with a drop in filter for $30-$50 and keep your stock airbox. Doing this also lets you go back to stock very easily.

I just picked up a Ramair foam drop in filter from Woosh and I'm happy with it.

That said, I was running the Cobb OTS Stage 2 before I added the filter without any problems. I don't have my IC installed yet either but I keep a close eye on my charge temps.

just run an induction hose with the evap fix kit and drop in filter. I spent $80 for all mine, but I didn't need the evap fix kit since mine is a 2015.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So after reading a bunch of threads I have gone ahead with mods that everyone seems to agree give the most bang for the buck -- RMM, Accessport with Tune, and Intercooler for safety/consistency.

I have a 2017 so between the evap issue (seriously not trying to open that can of worms) and a lot of evidence that the factory intake has good flow to start, I would rather not spend $200-400 on an intake. On top of that I've got warranties to think about and intakes tend to get noticed. Also I'd prefer to put those funds toward chassis upgrades or lowering springs for a more balanced car that can handle.

My question is simple: would any harm come of running a Stage 2 tune, say Cobb 91 Stage 2, or Stratified E30 without upgrading the intake first? I reckon I'd just leave a few peak HP and lb. ft on the table, but the intercooler is really the more critical prerequisite to using one of these more aggressive tunes.

For now I'm running Cobb Stage 1 91 and haven't upgraded the intercooler yet, and can I just say DAAAAMMMNN it's incredible what this car can do with just $650 spent and an OTS tune.
Your thought process is correct and you do not need to touch the intake to run the Cobb Stage 2 OTS Tune. You should, however, install the intercooler before you flash the Stage 2 Tune. As to your comments about the Stratified E30 Flash Tune - it will be built to your specific modifications so that will not be a problem either. I would recommend paying for a Stratified Flash Tune for both 91 (assuming you don't have 93 because California) and E30 in two separate map slots. You will love the car even more after that.

I actually had the same question and was going to post. I am looking at my next mods. I have MBRP exhaust only so far. Love the car and the sound now from the exhaust. I also changed from 89 to 93 octane so the car is more lively, combination of the exhaust and 93 octane.

So next I am thinking definitely the Cobb Accessport. And from what I am reading the drop in filter versus the intake. Should I also get the intercooler now or can that wait? Is there a tune I can go with for the exhaust and drop in filter, then change it once I get the intercooler?

Also will these mods hurt my gas mileage? I get a whopping 39.5 average now (it went up with the MBRP and change to 93 octane fuel). I keep my foot out of it most of the time and use CC a lot.

That will be all the mods I am going to do to the car- well maybe a RMM. It's a blast to drive now and such an awesome commuter. I can only imagine it getting better.

Jerickson88

Not if its a ST200 Box from Whoosh! [dunno]
So, I reverted back to stock to sell the car. I will be buying another ap3. Do you notice a difference in any numbers from the stock vs st200? Charge/intake temps? I probably won’t touch the intake this go around, nor filter. Probably will do AP3, symposer delete, AWR RMM, and a Depo or Whoosh FMIC, and Stratified and just be done.

I say that to say to the OP, there’s no magic formula. It’s all about the tuning when it comes down to a stock turbo car. You need the FMIC to keep everything stable. You’ll get cool noises from an intake. Save yourself a few bucks, do a symposer delete and a “high flow” filter and get nearly the same noises.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
So, I reverted back to stock to sell the car. I will be buying another ap3. Do you notice a difference in any numbers from the stock vs st200? Charge/intake temps? I probably won’t touch the intake this go around, nor filter. Probably will do AP3, symposer delete, AWR RMM, and a Depo or Whoosh FMIC, and Stratified and just be done.

I say that to say to the OP, there’s no magic formula. It’s all about the tuning when it comes down to a stock turbo car. You need the FMIC to keep everything stable. You’ll get cool noises from an intake. Save yourself a few bucks, do a symposer delete and a “high flow” filter and get nearly the same noises.
The ST200 airbox has a unique factor to it because it's a Ford part that was built for the ST200 overseas. I have one it's not a noise making intake. I don't know if Ford did it just for the hell of it? or if it really does have a benefit that they seemed was necessary.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Booster
Thread Starter #9
I actually had the same question and was going to post. I am looking at my next mods. I have MBRP exhaust only so far. Love the car and the sound now from the exhaust. I also changed from 89 to 93 octane so the car is more lively, combination of the exhaust and 93 octane.

So next I am thinking definitely the Cobb Accessport. And from what I am reading the drop in filter versus the intake. Should I also get the intercooler now or can that wait? Is there a tune I can go with for the exhaust and drop in filter, then change it once I get the intercooler?

Also will these mods hurt my gas mileage? I get a whopping 39.5 average now (it went up with the MBRP and change to 93 octane fuel). I keep my foot out of it most of the time and use CC a lot.

That will be all the mods I am going to do to the car- well maybe a RMM. It's a blast to drive now and such an awesome commuter. I can only imagine it getting better.
Do the RMM before the Accessport, you can’t put the power down without it. You’ll run the Cobb Stage 1 93 octane map which comes free and already loaded up.

Jerickson88

The ST200 airbox has a unique factor to it because it's a Ford part that was built for the ST200 overseas. I have one it's not a noise making intake. I don't know if Ford did it just for the hell of it? or if it really does have a benefit that they seemed was necessary.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Interesting! I wonder if there’s any data on it. I know that there’s minimal if any from other intakes on the market, with a stock turbo that is.

SrsBsns

Do the RMM before the Accessport, you can’t put the power down without it. You’ll run the Cobb Stage 1 93 octane map which comes free and already loaded up.
This. RMM makes a big difference and should definitely be done before you add any power.

Also, I'd do the IC before buying a tune. You can definitely have them change the tune once you've installed the intercooler, but you're going to be spending some extra $ to do it. I guess it depends on when you're planning on doing the IC.

I just bought the Stratified tune and I asked them to tune it for the mods I have, plus an intercooler which I'll be picking up in about 2 weeks. I'll just run the Cobb OTS Stage 2 until the FMIC comes in and then I'll switch over to the Stratified tune.

OP
Booster
Thread Starter #12
This. RMM makes a big difference and should definitely be done before you add any power.

Also, I'd do the IC before buying a tune. You can definitely have them change the tune once you've installed the intercooler, but you're going to be spending some extra $ to do it. I guess it depends on when you're planning on doing the IC.

I just bought the Stratified tune and I asked them to tune it for the mods I have, plus an intercooler which I'll be picking up in about 2 weeks. I'll just run the Cobb OTS Stage 2 until the FMIC comes in and then I'll switch over to the Stratified tune.
Yes I’m doing the same thing for the most part, although I don’t know why you would run Cobb Stage 2 w/o the intercooler because the map was made to work with the intercooler upgrade.

Anyways I ordered some more parts tonight: whoosh intercooler, ramair drop in filter, and ethanol test kit.

Then I finally filled out the tuning form including these parts for my Stratified flash tune with 91 and E30.

I’ll probably run the Strat 91 map for a week just to see how much better their tune is than Cobb OTS like everybody says. Then it’s E30 and no looking back.

No more parts until the new year, I swear!!!

SrsBsns

Yes I’m doing the same thing for the most part, although I don’t know why you would run Cobb Stage 2 w/o the intercooler because the map was made to work with the intercooler upgrade.

Anyways I ordered some more parts tonight: whoosh intercooler, ramair drop in filter, and ethanol test kit.

Then I finally filled out the tuning form including these parts for my Stratified flash tune with 91 and E30.

I’ll probably run the Strat 91 map for a week just to see how much better their tune is than Cobb OTS like everybody says. Then it’s E30 and no looking back.

Based on conversations I've had with people on the forum, it sounds like the Cobb OTS Stage 2 isn't as aggressive as tunes like Dizzy's or Stratified's. So as long as you're able to keep an eye on your charge temps, it shouldn't be a problem. I haven't gone out to the canyons to run the car hard for an extended period with the OTS Stage 2. I've only just had a little fun around town and I haven't seen my charge temps rise much more than 10-15' over ambient.

I am waiting to run my stratified tune until I install the intercooler.

Also, the "no more parts until the new year..." haha, good luck! I told myself I wasn't going to mod the FiST, but that is not going well at all. I do think I'll be happy for a while once the intercooler is installed. Then, next year, I'd like to start doing some auto-x.

Jerickson88

Based on conversations I've had with people on the forum, it sounds like the Cobb OTS Stage 2 isn't as aggressive as tunes like Dizzy's or Stratified's. So as long as you're able to keep an eye on your charge temps, it shouldn't be a problem. I haven't gone out to the canyons to run the car hard for an extended period with the OTS Stage 2. I've only just had a little fun around town and I haven't seen my charge temps rise much more than 10-15' over ambient.

Also, the "no more parts until the new year..." haha, good luck! I told myself I wasn't going to mod the FiST, but that is not going well at all. I do think I'll be happy for a while once the intercooler is installed. Then, next year, I'd like to start doing some auto-x.
I’m thinking a RMM, AP3, and FMIC with income tax.. I just de-modded, and realized how bad stock sucks lol

OP
Booster
Thread Starter #15
So I ended up waiting for the IC before flashing the Stratified tunes. I installed my MAP intercooler and flashed the Stratified tune. Holy Santa Claus Sh*t this thing is fast now, and yes traction or lack thereof becomes an immediate problem. I ran the 91 tune for 2 days and then went e30 since that was my main reason for buying the AP3 from Stratified.

The engine is happy and so am I. It builds boost and revs so much faster, especially in first and second. I'm seeing 27.64 psi max boost. Ignition correction 4 degrees or less. AFR at WOT is good. FPR is good. I know I'll get flamed for writing this, but I was playing with my gauge monitors on a canyon run yesterday and I saw Est. HP and Est. Tq. and I turned them on for the hell of it. It maxed at 192 hp and 292 lb ft. Based on other's dyno experience those numbers are very credible with this level of boost and no "breather" mods save for the air filter.

Stock or even Cobb Stage 1 it made more sense to rev out to at least 5,500 rpm. On the Strat e30 tune the torque from 3-5k is immense and so usable I'm finding it's better just to short shift and keep it in the sweet spot.

If I had to do it again I would probably choose linear instead of aggressive throttle calibration. It's just so damn touchy around town and in stop and go. It's still fun though, just slightly less "streetable". I find I am a lot less likely to bog the launch since more throttle is available at less angle. Feels more like a tuner car now if you know what I mean. Turning off the shift light was a good choice, I don't miss that. Now if I only Ford had made an LSD as a factory option. I've already done some accidental peg-leg "burnouts" launching uphill. Overall very happy with the car and feeling content with the power. Now I can move onto suspension and shifter mods in the next phase.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

I’m thinking a RMM, AP3, and FMIC with income tax.. I just de-modded, and realized how bad stock sucks lol
Cobb OTS stage 2 is SO conservative that all you need is step colder plugs to handle the power it makes mainly through timing corrections, they make up to 6 degrees compared to 4 or less with a "real" tune... Yes, positive corrections are good! Stratified already is touchy enoughwith linear throttle, I'd have them change that but indeed Stratified makes crazy power, personally I find how Dizzy modulates boost a little more conservatively helps it rev smoother all the way to 6000 without feeling out of steam... And hell to the YES, e30 from any tuner is just incredible, REALLY brings the car to life. I use Cobb TC at set at 3 by default on Dizzy and Strat TC on Stratified... No IC yet, but will in the spring! Glad you are enjoying all the new power now Booster, it only sucks having to go back to 91/93 when you can't find corn juice. :(

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So I ended up waiting for the IC before flashing the Stratified tunes. I installed my MAP intercooler and flashed the Stratified tune. Holy Santa Claus Sh*t this thing is fast now, and yes traction or lack thereof becomes an immediate problem. I ran the 91 tune for 2 days and then went e30 since that was my main reason for buying the AP3 from Stratified.

The engine is happy and so am I. It builds boost and revs so much faster, especially in first and second. I'm seeing 27.64 psi max boost. Ignition correction 4 degrees or less. AFR at WOT is good. FPR is good. I know I'll get flamed for writing this, but I was playing with my gauge monitors on a canyon run yesterday and I saw Est. HP and Est. Tq. and I turned them on for the hell of it. It maxed at 192 hp and 292 lb ft. Based on other's dyno experience those numbers are very credible with this level of boost and no "breather" mods save for the air filter.

Stock or even Cobb Stage 1 it made more sense to rev out to at least 5,500 rpm. On the Strat e30 tune the torque from 3-5k is immense and so usable I'm finding it's better just to short shift and keep it in the sweet spot.

If I had to do it again I would probably choose linear instead of aggressive throttle calibration. It's just so damn touchy around town and in stop and go. It's still fun though, just slightly less "streetable". I find I am a lot less likely to bog the launch since more throttle is available at less angle. Feels more like a tuner car now if you know what I mean. Turning off the shift light was a good choice, I don't miss that. Now if I only Ford had made an LSD as a factory option. I've already done some accidental peg-leg "burnouts" launching uphill. Overall very happy with the car and feeling content with the power. Now I can move onto suspension and shifter mods in the next phase.
So yeah, you can definitely have them change the throttle to linear, it's still very responsive to the point that I prefer Dizzy for it's smoothness still... What idle did you have set? I've found that depending on what mounts you have that the sweet spot is 850-900... Also consider having the Strat TC added and on by default, putting it into Sport mode allows it to take over from the Ford factory crap... Ignition correction max is set in the tune and very much helps make power, infact, Cobb uses lots of timing (6 degrees) and little boost while Strat has a 4 degree max set to go along with all their boost. Also, there are definitely LSD's available, but you are looking at $650, plus install kit of $250 plus labor, ouch... Shift light is at least "fixed" with ANY tune, definitely far less annoying when it's telling you to shift into 6th at 45 instead of 38 to bog it down and it's small enough I kept it as a reminder if I'm in traffic and have the radio cranked. :)