Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Will a mountune catted DP void an engine warranty

Cobb ap with mountune tune on. Intercooler and bypass valve come tomorrow, volousa big mouth and RMM sitting in a box, and st200 intake, mountune short shifter, and whoosh symposer delete installed.

One lingering question is keeping me awake. I can uninstall the tune, the RMM and st200 should be fine as with the short shifter. The intercooler should slide as all it is is a passive hear exchanger. But, can Ford deny motor warranty with a downpipe? Mountune catted looks like a good middle ground between smelling like 'merica and making good power (I had a turbo busa, sometimes you get sick of smelling like crap).

What say the hive? To DP or not DP while keeping warranty a priority?

And no, probably done modding after this aside from tint and a rear sway bar, possibly traction bar and trunk bar but that caused a lot of feels in another thread so stock turbo and stock exhaust... I'm a torque fiend but drive a lot so want to keep it quietish from drone

me32

1000 Post Club
They could void engine warrenty if the part caused the failure. Such as a clogged or bad cat could cause too much back pressure an cause engine failure which then ford would void the warrenty. More then likey you will be fine.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Theoretically speaking, would they be more pissed about a catless downpipe?

Contradicting my OP, they don't test in Michigan and I don't know what the power gains are from catted to catless

Cobb ap with mountune tune on. Intercooler and bypass valve come tomorrow, volousa big mouth and RMM sitting in a box, and st200 intake, mountune short shifter, and whoosh symposer delete installed.

One lingering question is keeping me awake. I can uninstall the tune, the RMM and st200 should be fine as with the short shifter. The intercooler should slide as all it is is a passive hear exchanger. But, can Ford deny motor warranty with a downpipe? Mountune catted looks like a good middle ground between smelling like 'merica and making good power (I had a turbo busa, sometimes you get sick of smelling like crap).

And no, probably done modding after this aside from tint and a rear sway bar, possibly traction bar and trunk bar but that caused a lot of feels in another thread so stock turbo and stock exhaust... I'm a torque fiend but drive a lot so want to keep it quietish from drone
My local Ford dealers installed my Mountune Dp, intercooler and charge pipes. My dealer seems very mod friendly, they even fixed a problem caused my my MBRP exhaust under warranty. I don't think they would give me a problem if any of the mountune parts caused a problem especially since they installed them

Ask a dealer that you don't take your car to if it would void warranty. I've gotten warranty claims on cars in MI by swapping everything back to stock before going in (mazdaspeed3 and GTI).

Magnusson Moss Act is your protection on this issue. If the part you install causes failure of anything else your claim can be denied. However, the dealer has to prove that it in fact caused the problem. I'm not saying that the Act is a magic wand to get everything fixed, I'm just saying the law is on your side. So if your MAP sensor goes out and you have a catless dp they may try to avoid paying, you can cite the law, and then if they don't work with you...get a lawyer. You don't have to sue, sometimes a $50 letter from a lawyer can get things done.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Magnusson Moss Act is your protection on this issue. If the part you install causes failure of anything else your claim can be denied. However, the dealer has to prove that it in fact caused the problem. I'm not saying that the Act is a magic wand to get everything fixed, I'm just saying the law is on your side. So if your MAP sensor goes out and you have a catless dp they may try to avoid paying, you can cite the law, and then if they don't work with you...get a lawyer. You don't have to sue, sometimes a $50 letter from a lawyer can get things done.
If you have a catless downpipe and the dealer discovers it the dealer can refuse to do anything with your car concerning the engine, it is illegal on the street and no longer covered by your warranty as such. If you have a friendly dealer no big deal....have an a-hole and you may have a problem. The minute you modify the emissions you are in danger of problems. Ford warrants your car to meet emissions to the EPA. So if you try to force repairs they have two options, return your car to meet factory emissions at your cost then do repairs, or just refuse to touch it. This is why people pay for the Mountune MP215, to insure no problems when under warranty, then after they may do other mods. The Magnuson Moss Act does not apply to bypassing emissions obviously. Replacing a catted pipe with an off road non catted pipe is on you and you alone, if you use a high flow catted pipe it will apply. The M-M Act basically covers "apple to apple"or "like to like" parts. A downpipe should not affect OBDII I don't think and they don't tailpipe sniff with OBDII they just go by codes here. But they do roll a mirror under the car to check for cat's in our TN County inspection at tag time. So, do you feel lucky? I don't so I will stay legal for a while. As to advice to "get a lawyer" the ACT provides for free arbitration that you may give up when you hire an attorney and if you lose the lawyer will still expect payment. And remember it will be Ford Corporation not the dealer you will be dealing with in arbitration. Ford warrants your car not the dealer. And trust me a letter to the dealer means zip, their only obligation under M-M Act is to refer you to Ford and they are well aware of that.