Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thermal R&D exhaust keeps coming loose

DangerMouse

The front clamp right after the downpipe won't stay tight.

I've redone it a couple times, had a shop redo it once and contacted thermal about it.

Thermal was awesome and sent out two new clamps free of charge. I took it to the shop to have them put on.

It's been about 6 weeks and it's loose again. Which makes it louder but not better sounding and the back of the exhaust bangs around.

The mom n pop shop wants to tack weld the clamp, I'm not really into that idea. I would like to be able to remove it easily if need be. Turbo swap.

I was thinking vband but I don't know anyone around that could properly weld it and I'm probably looking at a couple hundred in parts and labor.

Would a vband even work on that section? I'm assuming the pipes don't touch inside the clamp to allow for adjustability.

Open to suggestions, I'm tired of dealing with it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The front clamp right after the downpipe won't stay tight.

I've redone it a couple times, had a shop redo it once and contacted thermal about it.

Thermal was awesome and sent out two new clamps free of charge. I took it to the shop to have them put on.

It's been about 6 weeks and it's loose again. Which makes it louder but not better sounding and the back of the exhaust bangs around.

The mom n pop shop wants to tack weld the clamp, I'm not really into that idea. I would like to be able to remove it easily if need be. Turbo swap.

I was thinking vband but I don't know anyone around that could properly weld it and I'm probably looking at a couple hundred in parts and labor.

Would a vband even work on that section? I'm assuming the pipes don't touch inside the clamp to allow for adjustability.

Open to suggestions, I'm tired of dealing with it.
Thread locker? I ceramic coated my entire pipe....been on about a month + ....no issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #3
I don't think the nuts on the clamp are coming loose. The pipe end on the resonator is so short it's slipping out.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I actually experienced this exact same problem. I did some spirited driving one day and parked it for a few hours to go to dinner with some friends. Got back into the car and I guess over the time of it cooling down the downpipe slipped off the exhaust and I was full straight piped from the downpipe back [giggle]

I found out I was too careful when tightening the slip clamps. I didn't want to 'crush' the pipe. So I just tightened it more then I did last time. Put some paint marks on it so I could periodically check to see if its moving and its been fine for months now.

You might need to just tighten your clamp more.

after zipping mine on with a gun as far as it would go, i actually took a torque wrench to them. i wanna say i went to 15-16 ft/lb. even after the gun, i was surprised how many more turns it actually went before it hit my spec. my point being, you might think they're tight, but they might not be. i haven't had issues with mine (4-5 weeks now since install)

i did have an issue where the last ball/socket clamp popped out, but that was installer error :)

redmoe

I tightened the crap out of mine as well. Make sure you tighten each bolt a few turns then back and forth to even up the clamp. Also there should be little to no gap between the spacer and the band.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Don't know if it's the same type of clamp but on my cpe I would get both sides of the clamp touching and they would still be loose. It explains why the previous owner had a shop put a couple tacks on it to hold it together. I took a piece of sheet metal 1 inch wide by I think 9 inches long and put that in between the clamp and pipe like a shim. Worked great. Like danger mouse, I didn't want to weld it less I had to. I have a lil machine. It would take all but 2 minutes. Just didn't want the hassle later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Who else uses their stocker exhaust insulators for hanging the exhaust? If so did anyone else notice how close the tips sit to the underside of the rear bumper? Are the Whoosh insulators longer to allow the exhaust to hang lower? Ron this question is directed at you....

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #12
Who else uses their stocker exhaust insulators for hanging the exhaust? If so did anyone else notice how close the tips sit to the underside of the rear bumper? Are the Whoosh insulators longer to allow the exhaust to hang lower? Ron this question is directed at you....

I have the red hangers from whoosh. I think they are a smidge shorter. The tips are pretty close to the bumper but there is plenty of room.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #13
I got under it and the nuts were not tight at all.

I had to fiddle with both front and rear clamps . Just doing the front, the rear was still banging around. Glad I checked the rear clamp, nuts came off with a ratchet super easy. My 4 year old could have done it.

Finished up and drove home about 15 miles. Highway and regular roads. Plenty of bumps and all seems well so far.

I used the impact and then with a 24" ratchet bar I was able to get quite a few turns on them. Only time will tell. If this doesn't do it I might have 2 vband clamps put in.

Here are a couple pics prior to fixing it for those that asked. This is the first clamp right after the downpipe.

https://imgur.com/a/6YF0gXX

redmoe

I believe the clamps are made by torca. I found 45-60 ftlbs for the torque spec

dmb

I use these on truck exhausts all the time, but I use 5-6'' I use a 1/2 air impact and tighten it all the way till the nuts won't turn looks to me you got a long way to go. some of those clamps don't come with the half moon and they tighten all the way flat. afterwards if you want you can double nut it. they are stainless steel and are made to stretch to tight. I use USA and never had one tear on me.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #16
I use these on truck exhausts all the time, but I use 5-6'' I use a 1/2 air impact and tighten it all the way till the nuts won't turn looks to me you got a long way to go. some of those clamps don't come with the half moon and they tighten all the way flat. afterwards if you want you can double nut it. they are stainless steel and are made to stretch to tight. I use USA and never had one tear on me.
Double nut is a great idea. Where were before I fixed it hahaha.

Ill try that next if I continue having issues.

redmoe

I found similar torca couplers on a corsa system and the instructions stated 45ft lbs. So one site has a similar clamp at 45-60ftlbs and the corsa instructions have them at 45. I just retorqued mine to 45ftlbs and it took a couple full turns to get there (previously they were the best I could get with a regular 3/8 ratchet. I also ran the ball joint clamp to 20ftlbs which is full tight with the regular ratchet. Anymore and I was worried it would snap. The down pipe nuts are 35ftlbs.

Here’s where I found the torqu specs:
http://www.rogueengineering.com/Torca-Exhaust-Coupler-Sleeve-Clamps_p_222.html

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/200/255/255-14111.pdf

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #19
I found similar torca couplers on a corsa system and the instructions stated 45ft lbs. So one site has a similar clamp at 45-60ftlbs and the corsa instructions have them at 45. I just retorqued mine to 45ftlbs and it took a couple full turns to get there (previously they were the best I could get with a regular 3/8 ratchet. I also ran the ball joint clamp to 20ftlbs which is full tight with the regular ratchet. Anymore and I was worried it would snap. The down pipe nuts are 35ftlbs.

Here’s where I found the torqu specs:
http://www.rogueengineering.com/Torca-Exhaust-Coupler-Sleeve-Clamps_p_222.html

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/200/255/255-14111.pdf
Good info. I don't own a torque wrench unfortunately. I was going to buy one but most I can afford have bad reviews.

I was cranking on them pretty hard.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #20
Took the car to St Louis, little over 600 miles round trip. Longest drive I've done with it, usually take my wife's car on trips. Encountered some horrible roads and a large piece of a semi tire, which hit the thermal crossbrace.

Exhaust is holding up well. I figured if it was going to come loose again it would have happened on this trip.

Couple things I learned, stock suspension is awful on long trips. Also the recaro seats are great but I need more up angle under my legs, my right leg was killing me. I'm thinking of adding spacers to the front seat bolts to get a little more angle.