Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

P0454 code after tune

16 FiST with 11k miles I just got my accessport and installed a 93 tune. The next morning on the way to work check engine light. Checked it and p0454 cleared the code and it was fine for about a week then it popped again. I have been searching and know that it is evap but not sure exactly what it might be. I can go to the dealer but it is an hour drive and they had the car for a week for the blend door. Just trying to see if there is anything I can check before I take it in.

In my searching I have found some with codes similar like p0456. Same issues? When I first got the car I made the mistake of topping off. I have never had the stalling problems that I have read about.
Don't think it has anything to do with tune. I believe it's coincidence.
TIA for any tips

16 FiST with 11k miles I just got my accessport and installed a 93 tune. The next morning on the way to work check engine light. Checked it and p0454 cleared the code and it was fine for about a week then it popped again. I have been searching and know that it is evap but not sure exactly what it might be. I can go to the dealer but it is an hour drive and they had the car for a week for the blend door. Just trying to see if there is anything I can check before I take it in.

In my searching I have found some with codes similar like p0456. Same issues? When I first got the car I made the mistake of topping off. I have never had the stalling problems that I have read about.
Don't think it has anything to do with tune. I believe it's coincidence.
TIA for any tips
I currently still get the code randomly a week after fill ups. I fill up until it auto clicks off and that’s it. I made a post about it and the only recommendation that I got was to Check the evap box under the back of the car to see if it was damaged. Mine is fine so I just clear it when it comes up. Have no idea what is causing it still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I popped a P0454 on my way home tonight. It's the first time I've ever seen it after 3.5 years of owning the car. I filled up last night and I'm at 3/4 of a tank now. I've been running my latest tune for 3 weeks now so it doesn't have to do with the tune.

I cleared the code. We'll see if it comes back.

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
When I fill up mine usually comes on between 1/2 and 3/4 of tank left. If I clear it it will come on again around 1/4 tank. I guess I need to uninstall the AP and wait for it to come on so I can take it in. I really don't want to drive without the tune lol.

That code can relate to the gas cap being loose. I wonder if this has to do with the cap-less fuel system not sealing correctly. It's got a rubber gasket around the fuel door, is that actually supposed to seal somehow? maybe there's a wrinkle and it doesn't think the door is closed?

Well, it's the same fuel door design that's on my wife's 2012 Fusion, and that thing constantly throws evap codes after she fills it up. It seems to be a common issue on them and I've tried cleaning it, etc. We just kind of deal with it and the only real fix is to replace the whole fuel filler neck.

My P0454 came back again tonight and I'm at 1/4 of a tank now. It will only throw the P0454 after a couple of driving cycles, so something's going on. I may have to hook up my FORScan and monitor it to see what's going on.

Does anyone know where the Evap pressure sensor is on these things? I don't see a pressure sensor listed anywhere.

EDIT:

Found it. It's under the car somewhere near the Evap canister.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 11.05.47 PM.png

Very true. Forgot about that.

So my CEL turned off tonight, but the code's still there...

I take it I'll have to go back to the stock tune before I take it in? I cringe at the thought of driving the car on a stock tune now. lol

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Very true. Forgot about that.

So my CEL turned off tonight, but the code's still there...

I take it I'll have to go back to the stock tune before I take it in? I cringe at the thought of driving the car on a stock tune now. lol
Bump and looking for an answer for my FB buddy not on here... but I believe that since it's non-exhaust emissions related and has nothing to do with mods, they have to cover you, especially with the Focus recall now... But can anyone confirm or not that this is nothing to do with mods and will be covered under emissions warranty even if modded?

Well, mine never came back. The light went out but even after driving it for over a week, the code was still there. I guess even when the light goes out the code doesn't self-clear. I cleared the code and it hasn't been back since.

They would have to prove your mods caused the issue. The tune may be a more touchy subject, so I would go back to stock just to be safe (even though they can tell how many times it's been reprogrammed). Being as I don't have the OEM cat and a Vibrant J-spacer on the rear O2, I can see them giving me a hard time on anything emissions related because I messed with the emissions system, even though the cat and O2 have nothing to do with the Evap system.

Over the past few days I was driving my car around getting some stuff done to it (Oil change and new tires) and it was feeling really sluggish in 2nd gear. Just didn't feel like the car was pulling. After a couple days I figured I would connect my AP and see what is going on. At WOT I was only making 4.5psi of boost. So at least I figured out why the car felt sluggish. I checked to see if there were any CELs even though my dash light was not on. I had a P0454 code thrown. I looked it up and found it wasn't anything crazy. I cleared it tonight and was parked I reved the car and it made 12.5psi!

So long story short, do you guys think this code would put the car into some kind of limp mode? I am going on a 1.1k mile road trip this weekend. If it acts up during the trip I'll take it to a dealer.

OP
D
Thread Starter #14
I put a locking cap on back around Christmas time and cleared the code. The check engine light was off until this week. Guess I'm gonna have to take it in and see if they can find the problem.[thumbdown]

OP
D
Thread Starter #15
Took mine in as it would not pass inspection with the code. They said it was a fuel tank pressure sensor. I have an appointment for Monday to get it fixed so I will have a part number then for anyone still having the issue. I have FMIC, catback exhaust and tune and they have not said anything about it. YMMV

OP
D
Thread Starter #17
Any luck changing that fuel tank pressure sensor?
Popped the same code this week
No unfortunately they were not able to get the car to quit popping codes. They cleared the codes and I was able to get enough sensors ready, think 2 were not, to get it inspected. After 3 trips and they still couldn't fix it I traded the car.

Jerickson88

No unfortunately they were not able to get the car to quit popping codes. They cleared the codes and I was able to get enough sensors ready, think 2 were not, to get it inspected. After 3 trips and they still couldn't fix it I traded the car.
Damn that's some bull shit right there. Youd think that the age and dealer work would clear the inspection.

Any updates on how to properly fix this code? Everything I've read is either the capless system, pressure sensor, entire canister, or just the solenoid. Is this one of those you keep trying until it goes away codes or do I have to just live with it? Car seems to be running fine and it's the only code that keeps popping up on the accessport(no CEL).

Last edited:
Any updates on how to properly fix this code? Everything I've read is either the capless system, pressure sensor, entire canister, or just the solenoid. Is this one of those you keep trying until it goes away codes or do I have to just live with it? Car seems to be running fine and it's the only code that keeps popping up on the accessport(no CEL).
Gonna try and see this weekend, got P0454, 0456, and 061A. Best possible way is to smoke the EVAP system :/