Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FrankenTurbo

Trader history for FrankenTurbo (0)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ah P10’s and P11’s the Former being a British Touring champion several years in a row. Owned a setup P10 Ground Control coilovers few other things. Another awesome FWD car and quite honestly a strong challenger to the B13 SER.
Yup stick an SR20DET out of a Japanese Pulsar in place of the SR20DE and you had a monster.

I get this except I like how the car runs stock i just want the top end. Falling flat at 5500 has always been weak sauce. That was the problem with the KA24DE in 240sx’s ( another long stroke engine) . Gobs of TQ by nature but needed serious work to see revs above 5500. When people put Turbo’s on them which the responded to quite well. As the head is excellent flow wise and valve train wise, and the pistons came stock with oil squirters. it was almost as if Nissan had desgined the engine for Boosted applications Turbo or Superchargered. Both of which have been done by people with awesome results short of that 5500 rpm wall.

Now our engines are long stroke too as thats how Ford was able to get so much TQ out of them indeed we can go to 6500-7000 because of the smalll cc but again here is the tiny turbo holding it back.
Would you say then that the difference in the Fiesta is that it's held back by the turbo and in the KA24DE it was larger displacement and cammed for low end that holds back the turbo when added? Recall if they had any people re-camming them or anything? And sounds like you'd be the perfect candidate for the relaunch of that other one. :)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Would you say then that the difference in the Fiesta is that it's held back by the turbo and in the KA24DE it was larger displacement and cammed for low end that holds back the turbo when added? Recall if they had any people re-camming them or anything? And sounds like you'd be the perfect candidate for the relaunch of that other one. :)
Well first off with the KA amd cams it was cammed for NA, Turbo engines do tend to be cammed differently. Ideally a NA engine is cammed high to open the valves deep ( Lift) to allow you to pack denser charge into the cylinder amd shutting fast ( duration= time for valve to be open).

Whereas a Turbo engine does not really need to lift for the denser charge as the turbo is doing that job so it likes more cam duration to alllow more time for that charge temp to pushed in. Hence why we have Turbo cams and they tend to focus more on duration vs lift.

Now the KA is a big engine its a 2.4 liter and naturally will handle a bigger Turbo than the Stock SR20 turbo which we always considered to be small. Heh not as small as the Fiesta Turbo. Lol

So in a sense some cam but more long stroke big piston held the KA back in the revs. Put a Turbo on it and even at 7lbs people were in the mid 200’s hp wise with ease. Properly fueled at 11 lbs guys were seeing 325-340 wheel HP.
Of course the engine still did not have a lot of rev at 6k. Nature of the beast.

Our engines rev even though they are a long stroke still have some rev capability. Only because of the small diameter pistons amd overall displacement and even then its revability is modest for a 1.6 lol.

I had a L16 Datsun 510 engine with 240z pistons and valved and ported L18 head with a Delong cam and sidedraft webber that would,spin 8500 rpm.

CA18 DET’s would spin 9 grand all day long as would the Honda B16 and pretty much most Honda engines.

SR20DET’s could do those numbers as well as long as one had rocker stoppers. Lol and the VET version ( has bucket follow cam and is rockerless) could as well.

So there is no doubt in our engine the Turbo is holding it back it will spin to 7k but stock there is no real power up there to speak of.
oh and its because of that long stroke that our little 1.6 engines have so much torque.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Well Tim has released his batch of 3 - X37's for sale... I think it's safe to say that just about all of us agree, including Tim based on hos FB comments, that the x37 should be the defacto step up turbo upgrade ongoing and long-term, we all just have to convince PumaSpeed to keep doing them so hopefully Tim sells his 3 out fast and we end with regular production of them for when I'm ready for one myself next year!

Not trying to go off topic, definitely still interested in what FrankenTurbo ends up doing at what price and performance points for sure, more competition is always good! :)

pwnall1337

Vendor
Never even knew this one existed....good eye!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I'm kinda against it for two reasons. It makes x37 numbers (which I was expecting dyno day showed 292 whp on e30), and their main goal was an attempt to re produce an x47 as with more hybrids that will be coming out. I'll give credit to the vt330r at least they tried to be unique, but at the end of the day the x47r is $1599 and the x37 is $1359 both before the $140 cost of the turbosmart wastegate and price and proven history makes both turbos a better choice. The x47 has proprietary parts, it's sad that many people have tried to reproduce it, but even then they can't because the parts are not off the shelf.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm kinda against it for two reasons. It makes x37 numbers (which I was expecting dyno day showed 292 whp on e30), and their main goal was an attempt to re produce an x47 as with more hybrids that will be coming out. I'll give credit to the vt330r at least they tried to be unique, but at the end of the day the x47r is $1599 and the x37 is $1359 both before the $140 cost of the turbosmart wastegate and price and proven history makes both turbos a better choice. The x47 has proprietary parts, it's sad that many people have tried to reproduce it, but even then they can't because the parts are not off the shelf.
For those of us who just got our FiST's this year, can you summarize what happened in the past with the DHM fiasco? I heard that early x37's had a bad oil feed line or something and DHM covered them under warranty but PumaSpeed didn't and so DHM went under?

LaserWhisperer

Just to clarify, you're not in favor of the ff4545?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
For those of us who just got our FiST's this year, can you summarize what happened in the past with the DHM fiasco? I heard that early x37's had a bad oil feed line or something and DHM covered them under warranty but PumaSpeed didn't and so DHM went under?
I won't clutter this thread, but this is 100% inaccurate. I had nothing to do with Pumaspeed. Check the DHM threads for accurate info.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I won't clutter this thread, but this is 100% inaccurate. I had nothing to do with Pumaspeed. Check the DHM threads for accurate info.
That's why I asked, it's not easy getting a straight answer trying to decipher all those threads too, so instead you clutter this thread by not even answering... Can you PLEASE summarize in one sentence instead? Some of us are trying to determine what turbo to buy and want to know what went wrong. Thank you.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No it was on the Cyborg turbos that Sourskittle had been sending DHM. The Wrong oil seal was being utilized in the Turbo on assembly and DHM took it in the pants and bankrupted themselves and Sourskittle Disappeared and didn't make it right but some swear he still Rolls on here by a Different screen name with a low profile.[nono]

Woods247

2000 Post Club
That's why I asked, it's not easy getting a straight answer trying to decipher all those threads too, so instead you clutter this thread by not even answering... Can you PLEASE summarize in one sentence instead? Some of us are trying to determine what turbo to buy and want to know what went wrong. Thank you.
Does your mom still pull the edges off your bread for you? Look up C39 and DHM. The turbos had the wrong seals and they failed. The company that made them offered a warranty. DHM used it as an excuse to say they caused the business to fail, when in reality, it as poorly managed and he couldn't handle cash flow. There you go.

pwnall1337

Vendor
This is very dangerous information to spread. The x37 is a pumaspeed product and DHM was not an pumaspeed vendor. Like the fury turbo, and more "under development" companies are trying to replicate the pumaspeed turbos because of how they perform. DHM sold a turbo called the C39 that was built by a forum member named sourskittles. He took off running when he used the incorrect seal and the turbos started blowing.

Let's get this thread back on track, this is a frankenturbo thread guys and dedicated to the product development of the F series turbos.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is very dangerous information to spread. The x37 is a pumaspeed product and DHM was not an pumaspeed vendor. Like the fury turbo, and more "under development" companies are trying to replicate the pumaspeed turbos because of how they perform. DHM sold a turbo called the C39 that was built by a forum member named sourskittles. He took off running when he used the incorrect seal and the turbos started blowing.

Let's get this thread back on track, this is a frankenturbo thread guys and dedicated to the product development of the F series turbos.
Good call! [raceflag]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
No it was on the Cyborg turbos that Sourskittle had been sending DHM. The Wrong oil seal was being utilized in the Turbo on assembly and DHM took it in the pants and bankrupted themselves and Sourskittle Disappeared and didn't make it right but some swear he still Rolls on here by a Different screen name with a low profile.[nono]
This is all I wanted to know, it was the Cyborg's not x37, thanks for clarifying...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Does your mom still pull the edges off your bread for you? Look up C39 and DHM. The turbos had the wrong seals and they failed. The company that made them offered a warranty. DHM used it as an excuse to say they caused the business to fail, when in reality, it as poorly managed and he couldn't handle cash flow. There you go.

I was just asking for a clarification and never made any claims at all, is it really that hard to answer a question without being a dick? Instead I get attacked for asking about something that has never really been clearly summarized before and is directly related to aftermarket turbo's and what we need to consider... maybe it's never really been made all that clear in the first place when people just want to attack and say I'm spreading misinformation is why nobody wants to bother to ask! Is this a FiST "community" or just posturing of freaking know-it-all's here?

pwnall1337

Vendor
I was just asking for a clarification and never made any claims at all, is it really that hard to answer a question without being a dick? Instead I get attacked for asking about something that has never really been clearly summarized before and is directly related to aftermarket turbo's and what we need to consider... maybe it's never really been made all that clear in the first place when people just want to attack and say I'm spreading misinformation is why nobody wants to bother to ask! Is this a FiST "community" or just posturing of freaking know-it-all's here?
I agree with Dan, nobody should be attacking anybody, there is zero tolerance for personal attacks in my vendor forum. Now let's get this thread back on track from this point on or I'm going to have to ask a mod that this thread be cleaned up.

dmb

Hi there. We're a small company that specializes in hybrid turbos and I've been encouraged to join this community and learn about the platform. I've seen there are plenty of companies serving this market but I have to say the current pricing amongst them leaves a pretty big opening for our products. Is there a market on the Ecoboost 1.6 for a 300bhp turbo that costs under a grand? Maybe. It's worth a look.

Thanks

Doug Harper
FrankenTurbo

Isn't this your version of the Fury turbo, upgraded oem? but way cheaper than theirs. I think this was what got everyone excited. a low cost upgrade. their are always used bigger turbos for sale here. Are they fun at first but do they get old fast, do they need a rebuild every 10k and head gaskets, rings, pistons and bearings soon after. I'd like to hear from the people who had or has the after market snails what they think

pwnall1337

Vendor
Isn't this your version of the Fury turbo, upgraded oem? but way cheaper than theirs. I think this was what got everyone excited. a low cost upgrade. their are always used bigger turbos for sale here. Are they fun at first but do they get old fast, do they need a rebuild every 10k and head gaskets, rings, pistons and bearings soon after. I'd like to hear from the people who had or has the after market snails what they think
This project has been in the works way before fury started making their turbo, it just got stalled along the way. The Frankenturbo project isn't a hybrid it's made of different components and will not re use a stock core.