Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake Caliper Siezed - Car in shop over a month

Front left brake caliper is seized took it into the shop when I noticed breaking performance was way off.
It's also in for the mixer door being broke as well. (that lovely ticking noise every single time the car starts)
They found the driver front caliper to be seized and told me that it is covered under warranty and that this part will be ordered and fixed.

Car went into the shop around the 5th of October, the vehicle is still at the shop and they cannot provide me an ETA of when they can fix the vehicle.

2 weeks go by and I decide to call and find out how much longer I will be driving the F150 they gave me. They said that the caliper did not fit, nor does the hole line up or the break line.
Dealership ordered a few more and then escalate it to Ford Motor Co.
Dealership told me that Ford told them it was an engineering screw up and that they released a brake caliper that will not work on these vehicles or my 2016 Fiesta ST at least.
Ford has to re design a caliper from what I was told. Has anybody else heard of Fiesta ST calipers not fitting to their vehicle?

I called corporate and asked if they can give me an estimated time and they can't answer me either.
I will be calling my dealership to speak with the Manager and go from there.

Took the car in for a brake caliper replacement under warranty, they cannot provide a caliper, it could be another few months before I get this fixed. [like]

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I'd look up the part number and go order it myself.

No, never read of that problem here or elsewhere.

Have you seen the vehicle? Did an attendant screw up and wreck it and it's waiting for body shop repair?

OP
E
Thread Starter #3
The vehicle I have seen twice. It's on a rack with the tire off and the caliper off. It's confirmed there is no damage but they told me the caliper is wrong and have elevated the ticket level to Ford Motor Co which is what is kind of odd.
I know the vehicle is still there but the caliper being engineered wrong and or manufactured wrong, possibly bad tooling but still. One month to replace a caliper?

OP
E
Thread Starter #5
Yea, bought the car in 2016 and started looking at some local ones as of now. Will see if I hear anything back in the next few days.

brbauer2

I had my brakes seize up this last spring. Dealer ended up a going through 2 master cylinders, 2 break boosters, a caliper, and finally the ABS control block before getting it working.

As for the part not being correct...maybe they are ordering a caliper for a regular Fiesta and not a FiST? [emoji2371]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Yep I think they're putting the wrong caliper on this car. Someone doesn't know the difference between a regular Fiesta and a ST. I can order OEM ones off of RockAuto myself.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
E
Thread Starter #8
I have asked and would have to get the part # but I guess if I was to order a OEM caliper for my vehicle it would not fit. I cannot test due to them having my car still. They told me ford engineered the calipers wrong and I have a feeling them moving from Mexico to China is another thing I wondered about. I can't imagine Ford released a modified caliper update but it was engineered completely wrong... Who the hell knows man.

brbauer2

AY1Z-2B121-F Left Front painted
AY1Z-2B121-E Left Front non-painted

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

dmb

did you buy this car new? Lemon Law's might be time to talk to a LL attorney
Dude, quit fooling around and call a Lemon Law Attorney not the dealer, If you hate your car they will get your money back or another car. My sister got all her money back on a 2 year old SUV because the hands free phone didn't work half the time.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
There is a phone number for Ford Customer care in you manual or online. What have they told you?

OP
E
Thread Starter #12
There is a phone number for Ford Customer care in you manual or online. What have they told you?
Going to call a Lemon Law Attorney today and calling Ford Corporate again. I called corporate to ask what's going on, they asked the typical Make Model, concern, dealership it's at and what I ultimeately wanted and I kept telling her an ETA on my vehicle or take it back.

Calling the Manager at the local dealer to get a status update and to mention my escalated ticket. I will ask what part # is being ordered for my vehicle as well. When speaking with Ford Motor I didn't get any type of answer at all which I will escalate to a manager or higher on that side as well.

personally, as long as they are giving you a free car / truck to drive, I'd rock that for as long as they want. If you don't like having a truck request they give you a loaner car instead. take a bunch of road trips and rack some miles on up their dime.

OP
E
Thread Starter #15
Finally after speaking to a customer Service Manager at Ford Co about a week ago she said she would call me back today. I decided to call instead and get an answer. Ford indeed screwed up something and the caliper is being redesigned. The fix for the car won't be ready until some time in January..

Ford has yet to give me a different economical car, still driving a truck but now the CSM told me if I find an economy car at $30 a day Ford from Enterprise that I can pay that and they'll reimburse me.... [giggle] Time to look at new vehicles..

They asked what do I want and I said I was waiting to hear your reply to make my decision. Ford has done nothing for me at this point. Definitely not doing any favors at this point in time. I won't purchase another Ford again.

brbauer2

How did they tell you something is getting redesigned? Just a 'yeah, we need a new part' or did they give specifics?

I'm sure we would have heard about it from somewhere else by now as well if it's truly getting resigned.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

OP
E
Thread Starter #17
How did they tell you something is getting redesigned? Just a 'yeah, we need a new part' or did they give specifics?

I'm sure we would have heard about it from somewhere else by now as well if it's truly getting resigned.

I am not sure anymore, I dropped my car off for mixer/blender door and brakes not stopping as well. They told me caliper was seized... 2 weeks go by and I call to figure out what's going on, finally got an answer from my Dealer and now from this Customer Service Manager who I reached out over Ford Chat / Ford Twitter from the website. I spoke to the CSM who told me it was indeed going to be held up until January with no ETA.

They told me the caliper they ordered 2-3 times did not fit (brake lines didn't reach, holes did not align), then I called again to ask what the specific problem was and it was my Customer Service Rep who finally told me that my ticket was escalated 2 times now and they have been in contact with ford which told them it was engineered/designed wrong.

I know these Ford Reps are on the forums...

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club

Who at FORD, (not the dealer) gave you the info they were redesigning the part? I think all hell would be breaking loose with no calipers for many, many thousands of cars . The story does not make sense that they introduced a new caliper (that did not fit) and discontinued the old one prior to testing the new one. Does not sound like something Ford would do. You would have cars all over the place sitting and I would think the forum and car mags would be all over it. I believe they are made by Lucas, UK, if I am not mistaken as I remember being surprised as Lucas is normally bad electrics! Wonder if the world ST has new calipers and Lucas has no stock of the old but even that is hard to believe. I just checked Levittown Ford and they show stock on the fronts, unpainted or red, did not check rear. Strange. Keep us up to date please!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Very strange indeed even if the caliper was some how designed freakishly wrong on your car from the factory, they could just replace the caliper bracket and caliper together. it can't just be the caliper that's wrong on this car you can replace the parts around it to make a new OEM caliper fit. Just so many questions I would love to see it and work on it. Ford simply needs to buy back this car if it's designed in such a way replacement parts won't fit it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Part numbers get changed regularly and for various reasons including a change in supplier. But it'll be interesting check back on this in a year.

Redesigns. Are. Not. Done. Trivially.

The old part would be devalued... virtually worthless if the old design is deemed defective. So imagine if you're one of many resellers who are now, seemingly stuck with $50,000 worth of Motorcraft stock? Myself and others have our doubts, particularly IF the parts have remained unchanged since the introduction of the Fiesta ST. We're more inclined to believe that the standard Fiesta part, from a Focus, or maybe even wrong generation was being used. But if this is true, then this would be big. I also can't believe that the dealer would be willing to tie up a lift for several weeks to months, just waiting on a part. Plug the line, slap the wheel back on, throw the other parts in the trunk and roll that thing to a corner of the lot somewhere.

See the 12 minute mark on this 2013...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3DD136B50C80620B18273DD136B50C80&&FORM=VRDGAR
https://youtu.be/QJ5Q6-Ee0UQ?t=727

Speculation may be worthless, but I feel it helps the imagination; as well as confirm and eliminate the obvious. Calipers typically seize because there's too much heat. There are a few scenarios I can speculate about... caliper slide not working properly and thus, not allowing the pad to back off enough. This would be evident via grossly uneven pad wear. Description says hoses not reaching, holes not lining up. Holes for what? The calipers or the hoses or both? Why would the replacement part be any different than the original? Perhaps they do reach, but are getting kinked or pinched when the suspension maxes out. But if that's the case then why would the caliper need to be redesigned, as opposed to the hoses? Perhaps there are two independent issues that are being confused.

Bottom line is we don't have enough information for anything to make any sense.