Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Honest review X47 turbo

Hello great friend, I thank publicly your valuable advice with this topic ...., next week I will receive my x47R I do not see the time that arrives to start the installation at home ..... I will keep you informed ... good luck and Thank you

I know you. Glad to see you here. I told you to buy it in a hurry, I hope you did. Good luck with your install my friend. [cheers]

Please feel free to message me on Facebook any time during this process if you need answers to questions.
Hello great friend, I thank publicly your valuable advice with this topic ...., next week I will receive my x47R I do not see the time that arrives to start the installation at home ..... I will keep you informed ... good luck and Thank you

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #63
Made a few video reviews, these are on 93 pump gas, I have race gas reviews on my channel as well.

[video=youtube;c-sL8TVtraI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-sL8TVtraI&t=2s[/video]

[video=youtube;IJp0f2SvRUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJp0f2SvRUE&t=4s[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJp0f2SvRUE&t=4s

After doing these reviews and driving the car 6,000 miles now on the new turbo, I'm finding that the use of Cobb Traction Control is essential to get the enjoyment out of this car. Otherwise I am always smelling burning tires. Even when going easy on throttle, there is trouble getting traction, there is so much power, especially on the Race Gas concentrate tune.

[MENTION=3995]jeff[/MENTION]

Do you regret your X47R? Or do you only recommend the upgrade for track use?

I get mixed feelings reading your posts and watching your vids.

This isnt the turbo I’m contemplating, but I’m reading/watching all reviews to make sure my decision is the correct decision and I always feel talked out of it with you.

Nothing meant negative towards you

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #65
@<a href="http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/member.php?u=3995" target="_blank">jeff</a>

Do you regret your X47R? Or do you only recommend the upgrade for track use?

I get mixed feelings reading your posts and watching your vids.

This isnt the turbo I’m contemplating, but I’m reading/watching all reviews to make sure my decision is the correct decision and I always feel talked out of it with you.

Nothing meant negative towards you
Hey man,

No worries at all, ask away about anything. I was unhappy with the lack of honesty and detail in the other reviews I'd read, so I created my own honest review, which you have come across it seems. Yeah I have a nice ST but I don't see it as something that makes me more of a man, or as part of my identity....it's just a car, cars are my hobby, at the end of the day if it rolled off a cliff I'd be OK, it has no bearing on me as a person so maybe that's why you hear alot of MEH translated in my reviews. Also maybe I didn't say this anywhere but my experience in the ST comes in the wake of 4 years in a monster STi (actually a Forester XT with STi powertrain, faster than an STi in the end) which I also modded to about 300awhp. That car had similar power to my Fiesta....it was also heavier but it also had AWD which meant when I floored it at any time all 300awhp was applied and it just went forward in a straight line very quickly. Not so much with the ST. Honestly the ST is more fun that the Scooby was even though if the 2 cars raced from a stop the Scoob would probably pull ahead. 3rd gear pull, probably the ST would take it. But we'll never know.

BTW, I have the X47, not the R. My tuner recommended the base X47 over the R due to stock turbo housing limitations. A few folks I know with the R have said it's laggy compared to the regular X47 variant, so this matches up with my tuner's advice.

No regrets. I recommend it for street use. Only the user has to understand the the new power isn't real usable on the street. And they need to be responsible because going 80mph anywhere but the interstate is an unsafe and unintelligent thing to do. So the power gained by a turbo upgrade is useful for merging, on-ramps, and the occasional blast to speed on an open road. In daily (especially city) driving, it's not much use. The Fiesta ST even in stock form has plenty of power for that. The upgrades I've done are really for the enthusiast who wants to get more out of his/her car, and know that the performance is there if needed to have fun with a V8 or STi.

On the track, definitely it makes the ST a monster. But still it's good for the street assuming you are realistic and consider the things that I've said above.

I think you're wise to really think on this decision. Again, most of the reviews I've seen/read are testosterone-driven, people roasting their tires and grinning while they do it, talking about how ferocious the car is....yeah that's true, but I'm more practical. Is the car going anywhere while you're roasting your tires? No. Are you burning through tires that you probably put on your credit card and are paying interest on? Yes. Is your cerebrum engaging at this moment? No. Are you led by the need for attention, the approval of others, the quest for the biggest penis? Yes. I say those things to the reviewers in question, not to you.

So think on it. If it's going to put you in debt (credit/interest, which I don't believe in for the most part, certainly not for car mods), then don't do it. If it's going to stretch your wallet, don't do it. In my case I saved my money and bought all my mods cash. I waited nearly 2 years on the hybrid upgrade, planning and researching as you are. When the time was right I went for it and paid cash for everything, no bills.

No regrets, but there is realism. As I've said, if this car had AWD and the 300whp mark I'm at, it would be darn near perfect. As it is, it's still great. Just realize the limitations I've described. In the end of the day I've got $25k in the car ($20k car + $5k mods, about $1500 of which was for the turbo upgrade). For that money there isn't anything on the road, in my humble opinion, that has as much personality, driving experience, rarity, and fun factor, not to mention outright performance, let's not forget economy, as a Fiesta ST with a turbo upgrade.

Bug in your ear concerning turbo choice - again do your research...don't think about your HP goals - think instead about how you want the car to drive. From everything I've read about both the Garrett and Mountune options, you get turbo lag and then a ridiculous boost of power around 3500. Not what I want. The hybrid turbos really are fantastic and give you a fantastic smooth power curve, much more driveable IMHO. These options all put a Fiesta ST around 270-300 whp, but just because they have the same power doesn't mean they drive the same. Consider the driving experience. I've had a bunch of conversations with friends near and far who've tried 4 or 5 different turbo upgrades and settled on the Puma hybrid as the best choice because of the power curve.

Final thought, take a look at my video below on Cobb Traction Control with the turbo upgrade - whatever route you go, if you go, I highly recommend this - it reins in the power and really really helps cure some of my criticisms of the upgrade.

[video=youtube;f0UzpTzeJgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UzpTzeJgY[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UzpTzeJgY

Thanks for the quick response.

I am an evo man myself. Have had 3 over the past 10+ years all modded to different levels from forced performance green (8) to full bolt on (XMR) to lowering springs and intake (XGSR).

So I think we come from a similar place.

My original choice was the X37 but I feel what the MRX comes with is a great value and personally I am not huge on the low end torque punch of this car that I tend to find a bit unnecessary at times but manageable.

My goal for mods this year before the influx of cash wash stratifed e30 tune and a few exterior mods (risers, lip and wing extender). Now I’m looking at turbos and down pipe.

As I sit here writing this I’m leaning towards the tune just for the simple fact that I am a tad ocd for sticking to the plan I have laid out for my cars

An LSD is very high on the list and previously has taken precedent to the turbo as it was supposed to be the foundation for that install.

I feel like I know what I should do but have created doubts in my own mind

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #67
Thanks for the quick response.

I am an evo man myself. Have had 3 over the past 10+ years all modded to different levels from forced performance green (8) to full bolt on (XMR) to lowering springs and intake (XGSR).

So I think we come from a similar place.

My original choice was the X37 but I feel what the MRX comes with is a great value and personally I am not huge on the low end torque punch of this car that I tend to find a bit unnecessary at times but manageable.

My goal for mods this year before the influx of cash wash stratifed e30 tune and a few exterior mods (risers, lip and wing extender). Now I’m looking at turbos and down pipe.

As I sit here writing this I’m leaning towards the tune just for the simple fact that I am a tad ocd for sticking to the plan I have laid out for my cars

An LSD is very high on the list and previously has taken precedent to the turbo as it was supposed to be the foundation for that install.

I feel like I know what I should do but have created doubts in my own mind
Sure thing. Sounds like a good plan.

My buddy down the road has an X47R with meth and LSD and a lightweight flywheel. It's faster than my car no doubt. However (I rode in it a few weeks ago) when he floors it in 1st/2nd/3rd gear the tires still go crazy. Yes, even 3rd gear. So while the LSD helps in cornering at part throttle, it does nothing to end the traction problem. Too much power to one wheel, or two much power to two wheels, either way too much power. It's a nice mod if you're tracking or just want to go "all out", but aside from that, no. Not on my list.

Side note, people talk about controlling tire spin with throttle but I've found that that's too unpredictable. Adrenalin and/or cold tires and/or cold roads can affect how much throttle it takes to spin the tires, and there are too many variables at work, hence my praise for the Cobb TC.

I have another friend with the MRX and he loves it. I was a bit disappointed in Mountune for the way they released it with a poorly sized wastegate, then offered a wastegate upgrade literally a few weeks later, then pulled the offer, then offered it again. Then a bunch of people bought one and not one person has offered any good information on how the upgrade helped if at all. Something shady about that, feels like there wasn't much R&R put into that piece....that plus high price and late spool steered me toward the Puma product.

Good luck with the build.

I know the LSD isn’t a must. It’s just something I want.

My goal has always been having a well balanced car. I’m not looking for max power as my goal tops out @ 275ish.

I appreciate your honesty in your posts

Happy new years

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Jeff did you go with new oil and coolant lines with your install ?

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #71
Jeff did you go with new oil and coolant lines with your install ?
I did not!!!

Obsolete only if you want to spend double the money for 20 more Hp. No thanks!! That thing is $3000 out the door.

Edit, I dug a bit deeper, actually a whopping 3 hp more for double the price...the AE car made 347 with their voodoo turbo, the Puma car made 344 with the X47r...3 whole hp for an extra $1000-$1500???? Hardly makes the other options obsolete...

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #72
Time flies......did a one year later video...

[video=youtube;DyZy5E77Pg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyZy5E77Pg0&t=41s[/video]

Thanks for the thorough write-up, Jeff.

One of the proponent for keeping a car's turbo stock is that bigger turbo's higher horsepower often comes at the expense of low end response with the extra lag. Such was the case on my 600hp built Evo IX: When the power surged, the acceleration hurt your face. But at stop and go, it drove like ass. Or, donkey, I guess. While I hardly believe x47 would be like that, it does sound like you have not felt any noticeable lag with the upgrade?

Thanks again!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I don't know if I'll ever do an upgraded turbo or not, but If I did the x47R would be the one for me. The cost is good and it makes all the power you need without doing some upgrading elsewhere like the fuel system. Thanks for the review. The x37 would be plenty for me but it's discontinued. We shall see what the future holds.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pwnall1337

Vendor
I know I'm bias here, but I just wanted to clarify that I've never seen a vt330r make more power on the dyno than an x47r. SAE chassis dyno numbers vs. SAE chassis dyno numbers. There are a handful of guys on this forum running the vt330r and they are not making comparable numbers to the x47r, not too mention they cost around $600 more than the x47r when fully optioned up with the GFB DV+ and Turbosmart IWG-75. The guys over in the UK run both and they will admit the x47r puts more power to the ground. The x47r turbo will make around 275->280 whp at 24 psi and 93 gas and at 27 psi it puts down 325 SAE whp on ethanol.

I believe this graph here from the vt330r thread around 26 psi and vdyno is showing 292 whp.

I haven't seen a 3rd party dyno of a vt330r make 320+ whp SAE, but I'll remain optimistic.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #76
Thanks for the thorough write-up, Jeff.

One of the proponent for keeping a car's turbo stock is that bigger turbo's higher horsepower often comes at the expense of low end response with the extra lag. Such was the case on my 600hp built Evo IX: When the power surged, the acceleration hurt your face. But at stop and go, it drove like ass. Or, donkey, I guess. While I hardly believe x47 would be like that, it does sound like you have not felt any noticeable lag with the upgrade?

Thanks again!
Good stuff henry, like you I've done some stuff and afterward wondered if it was the best for my needs....that's part of why I'm content at 300, the car feels balanced like I said in the video. Check out my earlier video reviews on the X47 on YouTube where I discuss driving characteristics more. Short answer to your question is no there is no lag, I have full torque power down low just like on stock turbo. Looking at the graph below you can see that the X47 spools about 200rpm later than stock, but it's not enough to notice (note this is on 93 only):

I don't know if I'll ever do an upgraded turbo or not, but If I did the x47R would be the one for me. The cost is good and it makes all the power you need without doing some upgrading elsewhere like the fuel system. Thanks for the review. The x37 would be plenty for me but it's discontinued. We shall see what the future holds.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I have always appreciated your commentary especially in respect to upgrades and I respect your ideas here as well.

I know I'm bias here, but I just wanted to clarify that I've never seen a vt330r make more power on the dyno than an x47r. SAE chassis dyno numbers vs. SAE chassis dyno numbers. There are a handful of guys on this forum running the vt330r and they are not making comparable numbers to the x47r, not too mention they cost around $600 more than the x47r when fully optioned up with the GFB DV+ and Turbosmart IWG-75. The guys over in the UK run both and they will admit the x47r puts more power to the ground. The x47r turbo will make around 275->280 whp at 24 psi and 93 gas and at 27 psi it puts down 325 SAE whp on ethanol.
Yeah I don't want cause drama but I've quietly done the research comparing the Puma products to all the other newer offerings for our car and the Puma comes out ahead every time. Only by a few hp but it's still ahead. In the real world with apples to apples (fuel, supporting mods, etc.) comparison they probably feel pretty similar though. Not sure of other factors like durability and spool time, but I'm quite happy with the X47 for sure.

I'm blown away by how much 'respect' the V6 Camry gets. I'm looking into this car (Fiesta ST), a 16+ Camaro V6 and a Mk7 GTI and all that's mentioned by so many people is how a Camry V6 is faster than 'that' car, stock. (Which is horse crap for 16+ Camaro V6, but still.) Where are these roving bands of 16-25 year olds in V6 Camrys out revving at every person not in a V8? My job is driving, and I see a V6 Camry MAYBE once a week, and the person driving is almost always 50+, and they've never revved at me or anyone around me. Perhaps they save their drag racing in those high horsepower family sedans for the night time?

I'm just utterly blown away by the V6 Camry mentions. Muscle forums (I4/v6), Fiesta, Focus, Golf, WRX, BRZ/FRS/86. All of these people are to be shitting themselves in raw terror of the mighty Toyota Camry V6. Maybe I should skip my Fiesta ST or Camaro V6 and just get a Camry? (I already DD one, though it's a '99 I4.) Or at least a V6 Accord...

Well, that might not work. I'm actually going to be spending a majority of my time in the twisties. You know, where this car was designed to be? Where the suspension was tuned to be? I kinda feel sorry for the drag/roll racers. :( Isn't this car a bit of a square peg in a round hole, in that regard?

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #78
I'm blown away by how much 'respect' the V6 Camry gets. I'm looking into this car (Fiesta ST), a 16+ Camaro V6 and a Mk7 GTI and all that's mentioned by so many people is how a Camry V6 is faster than 'that' car, stock. (Which is horse crap for 16+ Camaro V6, but still.) Where are these roving bands of 16-25 year olds in V6 Camrys out revving at every person not in a V8? My job is driving, and I see a V6 Camry MAYBE once a week, and the person driving is almost always 50+, and they've never revved at me or anyone around me. Perhaps they save their drag racing in those high horsepower family sedans for the night time?

I'm just utterly blown away by the V6 Camry mentions. Muscle forums (I4/v6), Fiesta, Focus, Golf, WRX, BRZ/FRS/86. All of these people are to be shitting themselves in raw terror of the mighty Toyota Camry V6. Maybe I should skip my Fiesta ST or Camaro V6 and just get a Camry? (I already DD one, though it's a '99 I4.) Or at least a V6 Accord...

Well, that might not work. I'm actually going to be spending a majority of my time in the twisties. You know, where this car was designed to be? Where the suspension was tuned to be? I kinda feel sorry for the drag/roll racers. :( Isn't this car a bit of a square peg in a round hole, in that regard?
I think you missed the point. The reason the Camry is brought up is because you could be at a light or on the interstate feeling great about how fast your ST is, but then be easily outrun by a mom or 50 year old guy as you mentioned who didn’t even know they were racing you, they were just rushing to Walmart.

It’s not that people buy these vanilla cars to go fast. It’s that they can go faster than your car but they’re not even trying.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Lets be honest here, alot of cars, even if you have 300whp in your FiST will probably beat you at a stop light. These are not drag racing cars, good luck with traction from a dead stop. From a roll is a different story.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #80
Lets be honest here, alot of cars, even if you have 300whp in your FiST will probably beat you at a stop light. These are not drag racing cars, good luck with traction from a dead stop. From a roll is a different story.
Actually that's not true, in my case I have traction control added to my tune and customized, I can launch with little drama and be to 60 in 5-6 seconds easy. If I did it correctly and all the stars were aligned I bet I could get a low 5 from 0-60.

Still, a V6 Camry [facepalm] or heck a new Pilot will still be about neck and neck. That's my point, even with the FiST getting an upgraded turbo it's still not that fast when you compare it to what's out there.

If you want a fast hatch you can launch, get a used Golf R and put about $3k of mods into it, you'll do 0-60 in 4 seconds every time.

Put $5k in it and you'll do it in 2.99.

[video=youtube;oeF-52KPnF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeF-52KPnF4[/video]

Bottom line Fiesta isn't the fastest thing out there, even with upgrades. That was my point in bringing up the V6 Camry. I don't think my car is "fast" in the grand scheme of things. Just fun and pretty quick.