Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

No Superchargers?

There seems to be a lot of turbos out there, but I only found 1 for more recent models of the fiesta.
Looks like it is meant for the non turbo variety.

Does anybody know if there are any good options for the ST in terms of superchargers?

Having a slightly bigger turbo sounds good, but I keep hearing about all that lag.

I'm not sure how one would fit on the side of the engine bay though, it's a bit tight.

slopoke

There seems to be a lot of turbos out there, but I only found 1 for more recent models of the fiesta.

Does anybody know if there are any good options for the ST in terms of superchargers?

Having a slightly bigger turbo sounds good, but I keep hearing about all that lag.

I'm not sure how one would fit on the side of the engine bay though, it's a bit tight.
You really need to do your homework regarding turbos. Do a search for "hybrid turbos" for the Fiesta ST. Is your car an ST or a plain non turbo charged model?

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #5
Maybe I wasen't clear.

Yes turbo chargers are powered by exhaust gas from the exhaust manifold.
Superchargers are powered by a belt.

You guys haven't seen a few videos on-line of older fiestas with superchargers?
They aren't the big ass ones you would see on a truck or muscle car.

I'm actually a bit annoyed that you guys would jump on the "who is this idiot" bandwagon.

Here is a older Fiesta -> Supercharged, not turbocharged:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36xB86bOmQ8

Here is a mk7, probably not a ST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6EjpBe4eA

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
A large twin screw would make instant boost, but might not fit under the hood.

A centrifugal would be larger and less efficient than a turbo. And you still have to drive it with a belt.

A hybrid or a larger turbo is your best bet.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #7
Yeah, the superchargers I found were the centrifugal kind as you've probably seen.

I did know about how it saps hp from your engine, but I wasn't aware that it could be up to a 1/3, which is insane!

I also wasn't aware that centrifugal superchargers didn't do so well on the lower end.
I figured they would produce more boost sooner like the screw type ones. huh.

Yeah, you'll find that Ill ask a number of off the wall questions.
If I don't see anything to the contrary, Ill assume that the thing Im investigating is at least possible.

From both of your answers, it sounds like there are no kits for the ST (newer ones) involving super chargers.

And it sounds like there are no real benefits to having one on this car.

Right now, Im looking into what I would need to push my car up to ~300hp.

Im thinking of putting in a big ass inter cooler (with the charge pipes cross over pie etc), and oil cooler as well.
And engine mounts ...
That way when I get to the turbo, and the exhaust, I won't really have to think about the intake stuff.

Another odd ball idea was to look into a larger (Thicker) radiator. But looking in the engine compartment, that might not work.
Was going to replace the crash bar with one of those after market parts if it gives more room (Looks like it).

Im still early on in terms of planning things out.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Jeff can tell you exactly how to get to 300 horsepower as he's already done so. I'm not trying to be rude but you need to do more research they make an aftermarket radiator that fits.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Just for reference, the supercharger kit for the non-st would produce peak power of 170-80hp. Without direct injection. Programming the FiST fuel system to work with a supercharger, 100% custom. Expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #10
Oh, I definitely want to cap it at 300hp.
And the Idea of building my engine out of armour is definitely out of my budget.

I didn't look too far into radiators before hand, but I did check out the whoosh motorsports site.
The Mishimoto rad looks pretty good.
I think the whoosh brand IC looks like a winner.
After the mounts are replaced, I think Ill start with that (Plus the charge pipes).

As far as the turbos go, it looks like the X47, or the X47R is the best option for me.
Ill wait until I can afford the turbo, and a tune at the same time.

I have 0 intention to upgrade my fuel system. So if that limits me to less than 300hp, that's ok.
I use 93 in my car, so Ill stick with that.
250 - 280hp would be totally awesome in my books.

I can do the mounts fairly soon, especially since they're cheap.
The other stuff is a few months away for me.

Thanks for the info!

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Even 300 seems to be pushing it on stock fuel system. You'll probably need meth injection or aux fuel.

Theoretically you could compound charge the car (turbo and supercharger) but you'd have to use a roots style supercharger and a larger than stock turbo. I've seen it done. Volvo does it. But its not going to be cheap. Like everyone else said, just upgrade the turbo and shoot for your power goals!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Oh, I definitely want to cap it at 300hp.
And the Idea of building my engine out of armour is definitely out of my budget.

I didn't look too far into radiators before hand, but I did check out the whoosh motorsports site.
The Mishimoto rad looks pretty good.
I think the whoosh brand IC looks like a winner.
After the mounts are replaced, I think Ill start with that (Plus the charge pipes).

As far as the turbos go, it looks like the X47, or the X47R is the best option for me.
Ill wait until I can afford the turbo, and a tune at the same time.

I have 0 intention to upgrade my fuel system. So if that limits me to less than 300hp, that's ok.
I use 93 in my car, so Ill stick with that.
250 - 280hp would be totally awesome in my books.

I can do the mounts fairly soon, especially since they're cheap.
The other stuff is a few months away for me.

Thanks for the info!
You absolutely do not need aux fuel for ~275hp with an X47R on 93... Some tuners were squeezing up to 320 out of stock fueling, so anything under 300 is absolutely safe, you just might want to change out the cam follower ("bucket") every 60k at that point but no biggie at all otherwise... Also a hybrid spools very close to stock turbo, something like only 300 rpm difference... you have a solid plan and since you're up in Canada I doubt you would need a new radiator, maybe spring for the new Motorcraft 180 degree thermostat (down from stock 207) to get that coolant flowing sooner will likely keep temps down, especially since you won't be in like 110+ degree weather your overall cooling system won't be overwhelmed... (Sorry for the Murican Fahrenheit, just going off what I know, LOL)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

It's definitely possible, but I think it falls into the "more effort than it's worth" category. The car's already got a pretty good setup with a turbo, and it's a loooooot less work to simply install a larger turbo. You *can* do it, but it's probably not an economically feasible place to start. You'd be paying a lot more money than just upgrading the turbo, for a fairly negligible gain vs turbo, then the turbo would still probably win on the top end. If you supercharged and added a lot more torque down low it would just exacerbate the FiST's already-existing traction issues. No specific reason you couldn't do this, I just don't think it would be a good idea - if you *do* it, make sure you post about it because whatever happens - it would at least be interesting.

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #16
It's definitely possible, but I think it falls into the "more effort than it's worth" category. The car's already got a pretty good setup with a turbo, and it's a loooooot less work to simply install a larger turbo. You *can* do it, but it's probably not an economically feasible place to start. You'd be paying a lot more money than just upgrading the turbo, for a fairly negligible gain vs turbo, then the turbo would still probably win on the top end. If you supercharged and added a lot more torque down low it would just exacerbate the FiST's already-existing traction issues. No specific reason you couldn't do this, I just don't think it would be a good idea - if you *do* it, make sure you post about it because whatever happens - it would at least be interesting.

Oh, I'm not planning to do some turbo + supercharger combination, there's cheaper ways of making my engine explode.

The whole point of this thread is that there didn't seem to be any options for Superchargers, so I wanted to know if there was.

Didn't find much online, so I figured I'd ask here. Definitely seems like a mistake in hind sight.

From where I'm sitting, the answer to my question could have easy been "Oh yeah, here's a kit right here: <link> it actually bolts right on to block here here, and here. you just need to remove the turbo, and swap the exhaust manifold to fit to the down pipe ... and use a different tune."

Instead I got a variety of "Interpretations" of my question.

Thanks for the reply though, but danbfree, and Krug gave some pretty good information for me to go off of.

centrifugal superchargers are basically a turbo run by a belt instead of an exhaust side. They primarily exist in the aftermarket for the simple reason they are easier to retrofit to a car not designed for forced induction because of packaging. You get a self contained oiling system, no exhaust piping to work with so life is easier. I don't see any reason you would take a turbo car and add this when you can just swap turbos to one with the characteristics you are looking for to start with. You'll typically see roots style used for twin charging but it would just be so crazy to set all this up on a fiesta for little gain as these cars have such little tire that you can't use much more power down low in the rev band.

These are awesome cars for what they are, if you want something like a golf R, just buy that kind of car.

Last edited:
OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #18
centrifugal superchargers are basically a turbo run by a belt instead of an exhaust side. They primarily exist in the aftermarket for the simple reason they are easier to retrofit to a car not designed for forced induction because of packaging. You get a self contained oiling system, no exhaust piping to work with so life is easier. I don't see any reason you would take a turbo car and add this when you can just swap turbos to one with the characteristics you are looking for to start with. You'll typically see roots style used for twin charging but it would just be so crazy to set all this up on a fiesta for little gain as these cars have such little tire that you can't use much more power down low in the rev band.

These are awesome cars for what they are, if you want something like a golf R, just but that kind of car.
For sure, that car is pretty cool. A friend of mine has one and it's damn fast.

The reason I was thinking of the possibility of a supercharger (centrifugal) was the idea of having the boost of a large turbo, but without the lag.

There doesn't seem to be any bolt on kits, and I'm not going to jerry rig one on, and there seems to be some unpleasant side effects even if there was.
So the idea of a supercharger is dead.

Based off of the suggestions that I got here, I'm thinking of going with a X47, or more likely the X47R hybrid turbo.

I'm going to make all of my other mods first before doing the turbo + tune, so that's down the road.

Anyways, this thread is getting repetitive, so I'm going to stop posting here.

Thanks for the reply though!

superchargers cost a lot more wasted power than turbos and also have the big downside of being tied to rpm speed. It's why cars like the new mini went from S/C to turbo. Modern turbos like we have can almost spool instantly until you make them massive so that's not much to gain. Sequential turbos would make more sense if you really want something like that.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Stock tune supposedly limits 1st (and 2nd?) gear boost. On a relatively light weight stock FWD it just generates a lot of wheel spin anyway.