Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil life reset

So when I changed my oil at 1500 miles, I tried to follow the procedure to reset the oil life in the owner's manual and nothing happens. I've tried it a bunch of different ways. Door open, door closed, in gear, out of gear, no e-brake, with e-brake. Every combination. It still won't reset like the manual says it should. After some searching, I found this on another forum:

TSB 14-0202

FORD:
2014-2015 Fiesta
ISSUE
Some 2014-2015 Fiesta vehicles equipped with a 1.6L GDTI engine and built on or before 10/7/2014 may exhibit a
concern where the Oil Change Message cannot be reset.
ACTION
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 92.02 or higher. Make sure
you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may
also be obtained at Motorcraft Technical Resource.

How many others have experienced this? I don't want to have to wait for this thing to actually tell me that I need to change my oil in order to reset the oil life, and I sure don't want my vehicle health reports showing the incorrect oil life remaining. When I change the oil, I want the counter to be reset.

Ideas [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] ? Am I going to have to schedule a trip to my dealer to get my PCM reprogrammed? My build date is 08/14, so within the time frame the TSB states.

I can say that I have changed my oil on 2k mile increments and now have 9k miles on the car. The oil life monitor has not shown my oil needs changing. I'm gonna bring up the PCM reprogramming when I get my 10k/1 year servicing done.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I had this issue with my '11 Fiesta.
However I have never seen the oil change message on my FiST.
I got my FiST in Sept. of '13, and it was built 08/16/13.
I have currently have 23K miles and have had 5 oil changes with the next one coming up at 25K.

Dave

OP
Natedogg
Thread Starter #4
Can you guys run a health report and see what it says? From other reading I am seeing that there isn't an oil change reminder but people's health reports are showing the percentage drop as the mileage goes up and eventually hits 0% and stays there until the dealers reprogram the PCM. Then after that I can't tell if the reprogramming actually fixes it.

So when I changed my oil at 1500 miles, I tried to follow the procedure to reset the oil life in the owner's manual and nothing happens. I've tried it a bunch of different ways. Door open, door closed, in gear, out of gear, no e-brake, with e-brake. Every combination. It still won't reset like the manual says it should. After some searching, I found this on another forum:

TSB 14-0202

FORD:
2014-2015 Fiesta
ISSUE
Some 2014-2015 Fiesta vehicles equipped with a 1.6L GDTI engine and built on or before 10/7/2014 may exhibit a
concern where the Oil Change Message cannot be reset.
ACTION
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 92.02 or higher. Make sure
you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may
also be obtained at Motorcraft Technical Resource.

How many others have experienced this? I don't want to have to wait for this thing to actually tell me that I need to change my oil in order to reset the oil life, and I sure don't want my vehicle health reports showing the incorrect oil life remaining. When I change the oil, I want the counter to be reset.

Ideas [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] ? Am I going to have to schedule a trip to my dealer to get my PCM reprogrammed? My build date is 08/14, so within the time frame the TSB states.
I recommend setting up an appointment with your dealer to get this checked out. In the meantime, please PM me your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

OP
Natedogg
Thread Starter #6
Thanks.

Judging from the other forums that you are on, I don't see anyone getting a solution for it yet. I'm not the only FiST owner who has noticed this issue. Even those that have taken trips to the dealer(s) don't seem to get any resolution. This seems really prevalent on the FiST, and also regular Fiestas with MFT. Is there a way to see if engineering is aware of this issue?

If something goes wrong at 25k miles and I take it in for warranty work, I can see the dealer or Ford giving us trouble because the oil life in the VHR is at 0% and has been for some time.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I was told by my dealer that there is NO fix for this.
My car DOES have the latest update.

I just ran a health report and yes, my oil life is at ZERO.
I am NOT concerned as I have my car serviced at the dealer and they are aware of this.

Dave

Thanks.

Judging from the other forums that you are on, I don't see anyone getting a solution for it yet. I'm not the only FiST owner who has noticed this issue. Even those that have taken trips to the dealer(s) don't seem to get any resolution. This seems really prevalent on the FiST, and also regular Fiestas with MFT. Is there a way to see if engineering is aware of this issue?

If something goes wrong at 25k miles and I take it in for warranty work, I can see the dealer or Ford giving us trouble because the oil life in the VHR is at 0% and has been for some time.
My offer to look into this still applies.

Meagan

I recently had my first oil change. Before I did, I ran a health report which showed about 28% of oil life remaining. After the oil change, which I did at the dealer, I ran another report. It still showed the same percentage remaining. I did the reset procedure numerous times and nothing was showing on MFT. So, as the post above states......does this procedure only work if the wrench like comes on??? Thx.

me32

1000 Post Club
I recently had my first oil change. Before I did, I ran a health report which showed about 28% of oil life remaining. After the oil change, which I did at the dealer, I ran another report. It still showed the same percentage remaining. I did the reset procedure numerous times and nothing was showing on MFT. So, as the post above states......does this procedure only work if the wrench like comes on??? Thx.

You need the lasted tsb. It removes it in the health report

Hey Guaji,

Did you have a chance to speak with your Ford Dealer about this? Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number - I'll look this over and see how I can assist. Talk to you soon!

Nick

I phoned the dealer this morning and now I'm here to have the TSB done. Too bad they didn't realize the issue when I was here 2 weeks ago, if they even tried to reset the oil life monitor.