Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CP-E Nexus 3" vs Thermal 3" CBE

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I have the Thermal system and love it. I will admit at times I wish it was a LITTLE louder but those times are very rare. It by no means is quiet, its much louder then stock thats for sure. Let me put it this way, once you install it and first start it up you'll immediately hear a difference, even in the drivers seat. The reason is "quieter" then the other systems is because it still has a muffler and resonator and I'm sure the "resonator" is actually their "Helmholtz" system. But even then I still consider it loud even with all that still on it.

One thing I look for in exhaust is that it has little to no drone, which the Thermal is bang on with that. NO drone at cruising speeds. Second is that it keeps its composure throughout the rev range and doesn't go raspy/farty at wide open throttle. I can't emphasize on how the Thermal still sounds great even at wide open throttle, I realized this when I had my good friend drive it next to me.

You won't regret the Thermal I can promise you that.

Here's a video Thermal made explaining what the "Helmholtz" system is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3iA_UtUWt4

I'm more than happy to discuss the nexus system. The thermal system is for sure going to be quieter as it has the muffer and resonator, vs just a resonator and a stealth pipe. At the end of the day its really personal preference. I think they are both quality exhaust systems and are different.

The nexus exhaust was the reason I bought a fiesta. Drove the shop car to a show one day and was floored by the aggressive tone it had. My nexus exhaust was actually taken off our original shop car and put on mine. It is for sure loud. There's times when I've wanted it louder, in which case you do have the resonator delete. Also times it could be a little quieter. If you are looking for loud and mean, the nexus is the way to go. I think having a full muffler in the rear makes it too quiet (for my tastes, at least, again, opinion).

One thing someone mentioned on the hangers. The issue someone had with a hanger breaking off the focus catback has been resolved and hasnt had that issue since(those who had the issue were offered a fix and all exhausts from then on were fixed and reinforced). Generally, I suggest to people to just run a stiffer hanger in the rear most section (or both the rear hangers). Especially urethane hangers aren't great with the heat near the downpipe, and the front most hangers need to be able to move from engine movement and expansion heat. There's a good reason why OEM's use epdm, but I understand the need for a siffer hanger so the rear of the exhaust going crazy. I have been running like this for a few years now and havent had an issue. You can actually find OEM hangers/isolators from some of the trucks and SUV's are a good replacement as they are stiffer to hold onto the heavier OEM exhausts. I believe my rear hanger is from a fusion.

I'm more than happy to discuss the nexus system. The thermal system is for sure going to be quieter as it has the muffer and resonator, vs just a resonator and a stealth pipe. At the end of the day its really personal preference. I think they are both quality exhaust systems and are different.

The nexus exhaust was the reason I bought a fiesta. Drove the shop car to a show one day and was floored by the aggressive tone it had. My nexus exhaust was actually taken off our original shop car and put on mine. It is for sure loud. There's times when I've wanted it louder, in which case you do have the resonator delete. Also times it could be a little quieter. If you are looking for loud and mean, the nexus is the way to go. I think having a full muffler in the rear makes it too quiet (for my tastes, at least, again, opinion).

One thing someone mentioned on the hangers. The issue someone had with a hanger breaking off the focus catback has been resolved and hasnt had that issue since(those who had the issue were offered a fix and all exhausts from then on were fixed and reinforced). Generally, I suggest to people to just run a stiffer hanger in the rear most section (or both the rear hangers). Especially urethane hangers aren't great with the heat near the downpipe, and the front most hangers need to be able to move from engine movement and expansion heat. There's a good reason why OEM's use epdm, but I understand the need for a siffer hanger so the rear of the exhaust going crazy. I have been running like this for a few years now and havent had an issue. You can actually find OEM hangers/isolators from some of the trucks and SUV's are a good replacement as they are stiffer to hold onto the heavier OEM exhausts. I believe my rear hanger is from a fusion.
I had no idea you guys were so close to me. Good to know!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Mitch, is there ANY 'practical', or functional reason that the hanger mounts on the Nexus are not austenitic 304 stainless steel (304 'too brittle', whatever, etc. [dunno]).
What ARE they made of (409, tool steel, ? )?

I always thought that one MUST use the SAME type of stainless steel for the system AND the hanger mounts, along with the proper welding wire in order to get a permanent bond between everything, and prevent rust/corrosion. [???:)]

Mitch, is there ANY 'practical', or functional reason that the hanger mounts on the Nexus are not austenitic 304 stainless steel (304 'too brittle', whatever, etc. [dunno]).
What ARE they made of (409, tool steel, ? )?

I always thought that one MUST use the SAME type of stainless steel for the system AND the hanger mounts, along with the proper welding wire in order to get a permanent bond between everything, and prevent rust/corrosion. [???:)]
When 304 is cold worked, aka, drawn into a hanger and then bent, it actually becomes magnetic again.

Even so, while by technical standards, welding something like 409 to 304, is pretty common in exhausts. The filler or wire is still a 300 series and will resist corrosion at the weld and still penetrate and bond on both sides pretty well. The hanger also doesnt get as hot as the pipe, so it will oxidize slower. The quality of the weld is going to be much more important (gas coverage, heat, penetration, ect).

I think we have been using 304 hangers though. I have seen some pretty damn old CP-E exhausts and there still "hanging" on!

I would also like to ask Mitch how the stealth pipe works.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
for 1, it has packing in it so it absorbs sound, but also acts as a helmholtz resonator (someone linked a good video where thermal explains it).

Short explanation is that your exhaust comes out in pulses/pressure waves at a specific frequency relative to your RPM. They bounce back the opposite wave when they encounter a change in area, or a dead end. When 2 opposite sound waves hit each other they cause destructive interference, or in other words cancel it out. Hence, it being quiet at some RPM's when your cruising, and loud at others.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When 304 is cold worked, aka, drawn into a hanger and then bent, it actually becomes magnetic again.
OK, so the cold working which turns the hangers magnetic (YES, I did NOT know this, and just took for granted that the hangers were 409 {or less} steel, and not 304 when a magnet stuck to them), absolutely does NOT have ANY bearing whatsoever on the 304's corrosion/rust resistance, nor the 300 series rod welds?

Also, I have a spare tail pipe with the huge 'melon launcher' "JDM" tip (bought from haste on here), which I want to cut off, and then weld a NOT bead blasted, NOT same 'satin' finish, all 304 turn down tip, 3.0" inlet (from Ultimate racing) in it's place, onto the ball jointed tail pipe.

Is there ANY special prep/grinding which needs to be done to weld them together with 300 series wire?

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
for 1, it has packing in it so it absorbs sound, but also acts as a helmholtz resonator (someone linked a good video where thermal explains it).

Short explanation is that your exhaust comes out in pulses/pressure waves at a specific frequency relative to your RPM. They bounce back the opposite wave when they encounter a change in area, or a dead end. When 2 opposite sound waves hit each other they cause destructive interference, or in other words cancel it out. Hence, it being quiet at some RPM's when your cruising, and loud at others.
Thx. I have been curious as too how it would sound with the res removed against a regular straight pipe system.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

LILIKE16ST

I'm gonna bounce this back to the top because I too am trying to decide between these exact same exhausts and I had some questions as well. My mods are in my sig....I'm FBO with an x37 tuned by pd tuning on 93 and e30 vdyno has me over 280 on e30 and that'swhat I usually run. Now for my exhaust history with this car. I started out when I had just a drop in filter and livernois tune I had a res and muffler delete and I didnt mind it much I didnt really think it was too loud never got pulled over or whatever and ran this setup for 2 years. Then few months back when i installed the x37 I also installed a whoosh catless dp (thanks ron) so at this point the st was completely straight 3 inch into 2.25 no cat res or muff. It was too loud for me and I'm a guy who normally likes my exhaust a little on the loud side. On top of this I was pulled over on the freeway by a cop who was driving behind me and went to pass me I was going about 68 mph in 6th gear and it was so loud he heard it in his car with windows up so I got pulled over. I since installed my factory muffler to quiet it down and get the ticket dropped. Now I have catless dp res delete stock muffler and it is a little too quiet. I love how it dont drone but i want it louder when revving or at WOT but still little to no drone when cruising. I'm torn between these. I dont mind cpe being a tad louder so long as it cuts out on most of the drone at freeway speeds. But I dont want it to be as loud as the compete straight pipe was obviously.

Another question is which one weighs less I assume cpe based on pics. I like how both sound but I worry thermal might be a tad quiet for my taste. Does the cpe do a pretty good job at quiet the exhaust at free way speeds? I want cpe but if it's too droney I could go with thermal. How would each compare to my old complete straight pipe and how would they compare to my current setup any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Michael

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
The cp-e is a bit drony for sure. If you hate drone the the thermal is for you. I live my cp-e but I might go catted dp here soon for a couple reasons. Dont know if it will help the drone but I will find out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Every video I've seen with the CP-E system and interior sound, I agree....... Very droney. The Thermal doesn't seem to be at all from what I've seen. I'm just surprised the Nexus costs similar to the Thermal considering how much less stuff it is composed of.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I'm gonna bounce this back to the top because I too am trying to decide between these exact same exhausts and I had some questions as well. My mods are in my sig....I'm FBO with an x37 tuned by pd tuning on 93 and e30 vdyno has me over 280 on e30 and that'swhat I usually run. Now for my exhaust history with this car. I started out when I had just a drop in filter and livernois tune I had a res and muffler delete and I didnt mind it much I didnt really think it was too loud never got pulled over or whatever and ran this setup for 2 years. Then few months back when i installed the x37 I also installed a whoosh catless dp (thanks ron) so at this point the st was completely straight 3 inch into 2.25 no cat res or muff. It was too loud for me and I'm a guy who normally likes my exhaust a little on the loud side. On top of this I was pulled over on the freeway by a cop who was driving behind me and went to pass me I was going about 68 mph in 6th gear and it was so loud he heard it in his car with windows up so I got pulled over. I since installed my factory muffler to quiet it down and get the ticket dropped. Now I have catless dp res delete stock muffler and it is a little too quiet. I love how it dont drone but i want it louder when revving or at WOT but still little to no drone when cruising. I'm torn between these. I dont mind cpe being a tad louder so long as it cuts out on most of the drone at freeway speeds. But I dont want it to be as loud as the compete straight pipe was obviously.

Another question is which one weighs less I assume cpe based on pics. I like how both sound but I worry thermal might be a tad quiet for my taste. Does the cpe do a pretty good job at quiet the exhaust at free way speeds? I want cpe but if it's too droney I could go with thermal. How would each compare to my old complete straight pipe and how would they compare to my current setup any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Michael

We have cp-e systems in stock as well as Thermal
I've used both. The comments on here are accurate. cp-e is loud and aggressive, some drone comes with that
The Thermal on stock DP is super duper quiet. When adding an aftermarket downpipe it wakes it up just enough

I'll offer 3 free hangers (Powerflex or Torque Solution) if either of these exhausts are purchased through our store

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I love the outside the car sound of my CP-E Nexus system, but if I had to do it over again (or IF the Thermal was even available way back when), I would go with the Thermal. [wink]

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I do not own either. However, being married to an audiologist, being friends with an acoustic engineer, and spending way too much time (and money!!) designing my own exhaust using frequency cancellation and helmholtz math - there's obviously substantial acoustic engineering and sound design that went into the thermal. It's the better engineered solution, acoustically speaking. If I were interested in buying a premade exhaust I'd probably go thermal.

Last edited:

LILIKE16ST

great comments guys thanks! I hear the thermal has zero drone which is great and I'm catless so that should wake it up just enough as ron put it. would it be noticeably louder than a stock muffler setup with a resonator delete when revving or going WOT? I assume so. I love how I can get the 3 inch adaptor from ron and make it a full 3 inch system as well. It may not matter at my power level but it may help some if not with peak power then with overall power and maybe give me some extra kick at the top of the tach. I like how my current setup don't drone but when revving on WOT it isn't loud enough for my taste the stock muffler just quiets it too much imo even with a resonator delete and catless dp.

more questions...I know thermal comes with a resonator and muffler...the cpe has a resonator which is a helmholz correct? it has something else on it but it isn't a muffler is it sort of like a second resonator? Do either of these weigh less than the stock catback? I'm just curious what the weight difference is? I am sure neither will be as loud as my completely straight piped setup was so I'd honestly probably be happy with either...it was just a little too loud for me lol
Thanks to all!

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I believe the end piece that hides behind the bumper is a "j" pipe. There is muffler packing in the end of it. Its ment to help drone.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe the end piece that hides behind the bumper is a "j" pipe. There is muffler packing in the end of it. Its ment to help drone.

It does act/function as a Helmholtz resonator though, even though it does not kill ALL of the drone, in every sound pulse band width range. [:(]

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
It does act/function as a Helmholtz resonator though, even though it does not kill ALL of the drone, in every sound pulse band width range. [:(]
I thought it was but didn't want to state it as fact case I was wrong.