Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

If you are using it as a daily, are you really enjoying any of the benefits of the MRX?
Seems like the gains are all at higher RPMs.
As for data or experience with the Revo--I don't--but a couple popular tuners advised against the MRX. Your results confirm what they told me.
Regardless, the choice is obviously yours. I was just giving my opinion.
No offense taken, I was curious about the Revo kit as well and am excited to see some numbers posted on it hopefully. I have done some subsequent driving since the initial install and it's growing on me day by day. I am excited to do a track lapping day once I get my suspension installed (sitting in my garage at the moment). It's good to talk to a fellow owner local to me, we should have a meet for this area :).

The elevation for Everett Washington is essentially Sea Level. It's on Puget Sound.
What I wonder is why tuning time on the dyno was spent. I thought it came with a "base tune" right from mountune. ... I want to believe Randy's tune is better than what is being shown AND that sending data logs and having it custom tuned BY Randy will improve the situation. It's still on my to-do list. ..
At the time (and hindsight is 20/20) I thought that for a small amount more (relative to the price of the whole thing) tuning on an actual dyno would be more accurate and powerful in fine tuning than gleaning data from data logging the Accessport. For instance if Randy had the choice of tuning on a dyno or just using an Accessport data log, I would think he would prefer the former.

I probably will end up paying for Randy's services anyways and send him my data to see if it can be improved upon.

Is your dyno session sheet saying that you're pulling 100* ambient air? If so, that's probably not helping your cause much.
Yeah it was hot as hell @100F. I do wonder how much that played a role in my numbers. When I start data logging I think I'll wait until it gets cooler.

If you are using it as a daily, are you really enjoying any of the benefits of the MRX?
Seems like the gains are all at higher RPMs.
As for data or experience with the Revo--I don't--but a couple popular tuners advised against the MRX. Your results confirm what they told me.
Regardless, the choice is obviously yours. I was just giving my opinion.
No offense taken, I was curious about the Revo kit as well and am excited to see some numbers posted on it hopefully. I have done some subsequent driving since the initial install and it's growing on me day by day. I am excited to do a track lapping day once I get my suspension installed (sitting in my garage at the moment). It's good to talk to a fellow owner local to me, we should have a meet for this area :).

The elevation for Everett Washington is essentially Sea Level. It's on Puget Sound.
What I wonder is why tuning time on the dyno was spent. I thought it came with a "base tune" right from mountune. ... I want to believe Randy's tune is better than what is being shown AND that sending data logs and having it custom tuned BY Randy will improve the situation. It's still on my to-do list. ..
At the time (and hindsight is 20/20) I thought that for a small amount more (relative to the price of the whole thing) tuning on an actual dyno would be more accurate and powerful in fine tuning than gleaning data from data logging the Accessport. For instance if Randy had the choice of tuning on a dyno or just using an Accessport data log, I would think he would prefer the former. At this point if I employ Randy's services, it would give me a sigh of relief if he found some obvious places to improve even if I did waste money at the other tuner.

I probably will end up paying for Randy's services anyways and send him my data to see if it can be improved upon.

Is your dyno session sheet saying that you're pulling 100* ambient air? If so, that's probably not helping your cause much.
Yeah it was hot as hell @100F. I do wonder how much that played a role in my numbers. When I start data logging I think I'll wait until it gets cooler.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

At the time (and hindsight is 20/20) I thought that for a small amount more (relative to the price of the whole thing) tuning on an actual dyno would be more accurate and powerful in fine tuning than gleaning data from data logging the Accessport. For instance if Randy had the choice of tuning on a dyno or just using an Accessport data log, I would think he would prefer the former.

It played a yuge roll in the Air being thin and less dense. If you tuned when it's in the 70° range I'll put money your numbers would be more to your satisfaction also better butt dyno feel also. Not every tuner tunes the same...they all have found some turbos respond differently to different adjustments. I will just change things on my car just to see the reaction from the car. It's all a part of the performance game....As I always say...To go nowhere follow the crowd.!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Se7eN

Hey everyone,

I just had the MRX kit installed and with mixed emotions (regarding the power gains found) I have the hard data of the dyno tuning after installing. I'll get right to the chart first, the dotted lines are my prior run on the stock turbo and the solid lines are with the MRX turbo.

This is with Cobb intake, intercooler, IC piping, downpipe, and catback. I run 92 octane gas, and this is the best I was able to get in my tuning session =/. As a reminder, here are the gains Mountune claimed on 91 octane:

So my numbers are quite a bit lower... No torque gained and horsepower is a lot less than I was expecting. My tuner did however bump my rev limit to 7k because the turbo was still making good power up past 7k.

Regarding driving impressions, driving out of the parking lot for the first time was a bummer feeling the loss of power down low and in the midrange. I do understand the concept of it being a trade off from down low power/small turbo and up high/bigger turbo but this was my first endeavor in going small to bigger turbo so I guess it's just something I'll get used to over time. I definitely need to re-learn how I drive the car to take better advantage of the power band. I also think this car went from a light to light performer to a freeway performer (top speed is the only place I really feel a big difference). I have already done quite a bit of interstate freeway driving and it does pull hard on the freeway.

I spent quite a bit for the dyno and tuning time, but at this point I'm wondering if Randy could find any areas to improve if I sent him data logs and paid even more money for that. I was like a little kid on Christmas eve right before the install, and now I'm wondering if I should have done it at all.
You guys really need to stop looking at dyno numbers as a definite thing. It's a tuning aid. That dyno sheet looks like the dyno is a Mustang Dyno, which tends to reach much lower then usual dynojets and so forth. Also manufacturer estimated gains are rarely accurate.

Looking at the gains it's quite a bit, I installed a similar turbo to the MRX in my car (probably the from the actual manufacturer that provides the turbo) the low end loss is present, but you get used to it. The car feels great once you understand that you need to be close to 3k RPM to have fun. As for daily it's barely noticeable unless you do a lot of slow speed stuff.

I will admit to never driving a fiesta with the MRX, but giving up low end power/torque with this car makes no sense to me. I can understand why wraith is disapointed withe driving experience.

Even with my stage 3 setup 1st gear is pretty numb. I can't imagine giving up what is already there. I would hope upgrading the turbo would increase the performance noticeably all throughout the powerband.

Hey look I upgraded my turbo and I'm now being beaten off the lone by a Honda Odyssey, hooray!!!!

Se7eN

I will admit to never driving a fiesta with the MRX, but giving up low end power/torque with this car makes no sense to me. I can understand why wraith is disapointed withe driving experience.

Even with my stage 3 setup 1st gear is pretty numb. I can't imagine giving up what is already there. I would hope upgrading the turbo would increase the performance noticeably all throughout the powerband.

Hey look I upgraded my turbo and I'm now being beaten off the lone by a Honda Odyssey, hooray!!!!
You don't know how wrong your are with that statement, as with any turbo upgrade spool will never be as stock, and to add to this if you leave the power output in 1rst and 2nd as the rest of the gears you'll just have neutral first and second gears. Boost by Gear would fix it and make it usable, and it feels way better then it did with stock power. In my case the gain was around 60whp on just pump gas at 93oct which honestly isn't all that good in this area. The difference is mayor and made the car better all around. Later with Meth or Aux Fueling a lot more horsepower will be extracted from it. You shouldn't be afraid of a little lag if you get so much out of the top end.

Now that the weather has cooled off a little (low 70s) the midrange power has gotten better already. I'm still liking it more and more as I spend more time with it.

I also love the Turbosmart BOV that Mountune suggests with the kit. The sound is clean and just right in volume.

A couple of notes about the install, my Cobb piping was bigger than the hard pipe included with the MRX kit, so we didn't end up using it. The L-shaped fitting for the oil line to the turbo was missing, as well as an O-ring gasket for the v=band connection to the turbo. Luckily the shop was able to source these parts pretty quickly from other places. If you do buy this kit, make sure you check for all the parts!

Has anyone had Randy tell you your boost looks low after installing the MRX? I got the dreaded call a few days ago near the end of my tuning revisions (on rev. 3, only at 20 PSI). Havent found any loose clamps, running a MAP IC and he is wondering if the increased volume/size of the IC is part of the problem. Could also be my WG preload, going to check this tomorrow.

Has anyone had Randy tell you your boost looks low after installing the MRX? I got the dreaded call a few days ago near the end of my tuning revisions (on rev. 3, only at 20 PSI). Havent found any loose clamps, running a MAP IC and he is wondering if the increased volume/size of the IC is part of the problem. Could also be my WG preload, going to check this tomorrow.
Yea had that last year - said my CPE intercooler was too big and wastegate preload could be wrong. I've got the new upgraded billet one I'm going to install sometime this month to see if that changes anything

Yea had that last year - said my CPE intercooler was too big and wastegate preload could be wrong. I've got the new upgraded billet one I'm going to install sometime this month to see if that changes anything
Thanks man, what was your zero'd out WG initial tune boost at? He says we should be at roughly 11psi, I was at 8psi.

Zormecteon

All this time and not one person who has installed the MRX has given any real world times. 1/4 mile, .. 0-60, rolling 5 to 60, .. nothing. ... I'm hoping since the last time i asked for real world results, (not dyno numbers, or virtual dyno numbers) that someone will actually test their car and give results, not just seat of the pants impressions.

I'm not asking for anyone to flog their car or do anything they are uncomfortable about doing as far as wear and tear on their equipment, just some numbers... any numbers, as a result of real world testing. .. On the road, at the track, anything.

???

Thanks man, what was your zero'd out WG initial tune boost at? He says we should be at roughly 11psi, I was at 8psi.

I honestly don't remember my tuning ended a year ago and haven't really done anything since. I'm thinking of getting a new tune with stratified once my new wastegate is on

All this time and not one person who has installed the MRX has given any real world times. 1/4 mile, .. 0-60, rolling 5 to 60, .. nothing. ... I'm hoping since the last time i asked for real world results, (not dyno numbers, or virtual dyno numbers) that someone will actually test their car and give results, not just seat of the pants impressions.

I'm not asking for anyone to flog their car or do anything they are uncomfortable about doing as far as wear and tear on their equipment, just some numbers... any numbers, as a result of real world testing. .. On the road, at the track, anything.

???
I don't have a track anywhere near me, so no dice

I honestly don't remember my tuning ended a year ago and haven't really done anything since. I'm thinking of getting a new tune with stratified once my new wastegate is on

???
I don't have a track anywhere near me, so no dice

^^^ I have never done a hard launch, no will I ever as I belive this is hard on transaxles.... however, once I get fully tuned and my kinks worked out with boost and tuning, I will get you a rolling launch.

There are few vids on youtube of someone with an MRX doing some 1st-3rd gear WOT pulls. Lastly, I assisted someone recently with an install who said they will get some 1/4 mile times loaded after tuning is complete (I will not state their name in case they do not get the videos loaded).

Like you, I have been very curious as well for some times or slips and yes, I agree too many variables to capture true 0-60's. I just bit the bullet and bought it. Even at 20psi with potential boost leaks, this thing is tons of fun. I do not regret the $2k I spent for the kit.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Now that the weather has cooled off a little (low 70s) the midrange power has gotten better already. I'm still liking it more and more as I spend more time with it.

I also love the Turbosmart BOV that Mountune suggests with the kit. The sound is clean and just right in volume.

A couple of notes about the install, my Cobb piping was bigger than the hard pipe included with the MRX kit, so we didn't end up using it. The L-shaped fitting for the oil line to the turbo was missing, as well as an O-ring gasket for the v=band connection to the turbo. Luckily the shop was able to source these parts pretty quickly from other places. If you do buy this kit, make sure you check for all the parts!
The gas we have in W. OR/WA may say 92 minimum on the pump but I'm telling you that it's really closer to 94... This is my 3rd DI-T car in a row and every single tuner has said "This gas is NOT 92, I have room to push more from even a 93 octane base tune..." I just have a stock turbo with minimum mods but I can feel the difference in throttle response and pull running my 91 map vs. running my 93 map, yes I paid for 2 octanes on my Stratified tune just to be safe... Keep in mind that E30 most of the gains come from the higher octane, you take premium at 91-92 and add some 104 to it an voila, 95-96 octane fuel... yes there is more to it than that but look at the charts early on, they were getting a full 20 HP and 20-25 TQ more just moving from 91 to 93... If you ordered a 91 octane tune to go with your MRX, you are flat-out leaving free performance on the table... Yes, I've datalogged and my 93 tune stays at -1.00 year round, ultra minimal negative corrections, tons of positive corrections, I'm pretty sure the 94 octane option is made for us here in the NW! I'm almost 100% positive that the Blaine refineries were making 92 octane before the E10 mandate, so once they had to add E10, they literally said "screw it, let's not bother reformulating or re-rating the octane, it'll be cheaper and easier to just keep calling it 92 minimum and the cheap ethanol will lower our costs anyway"... Seriously, have a discussion with Randy about this and see if he can eek out some more response and power for you, please just let us know what happens!

Thanks, I started a conversation with Randy but I think I will wait until the cooler fall temperatures come before I start sending him logs (I haven't paid for his services yet). It's a shame Randy or mountune isn't a vendor on this site, we talk so much about it.