Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Savagegeese reviewed the FiST!

I’m a fan of his work, and I really appreciated what he had to say. All in all, it felt pretty accurate to how I feel,.. wanted to share.

[video=youtube;ir4TQwG41zY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir4TQwG41zY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Still don't agree that the interior is THAT bad for the price at all, and sorry '14-'15 owners, but the improvements for the '16+ are pretty significant... and the guy says "you don't really track a Fiesta ST..." huh?

Business6

Still don't agree that the interior is THAT bad for the price at all, and sorry '14-'15 owners, but the improvements for the '16+ are pretty significant... and the guy says "you don't really track a Fiesta ST..." huh?
I don't even know what the 16 improved upon outside of Sync. But the materials themselves for the interior are dog shit cheap. Again, I personally don't care but it's something that comes to mind when I touch them.

In regards to the tracking comment I was surprised by that as well as it seemed curiously dismissive. But I don't think there's any arguing that, especially in stock form, it's a far more sensible option for autocross over track.

Also surprised that he didn't mention the down low torque, heat soak (implied it in the shop section) and not even a complaint of the symposer, lol.

Even though he's consistently dour and is prone to attempts at humor that indicate he thinks his viewers are mainly homophobic bros, I think Mr. Goose (Geese?) is one of the best automotive YouTube reviewers for a couple of reasons: He can really drive (has extensive track experience and has owned a Lotus, S2000, etc.), so his assessment of a car's dynamics are far more credible than most. Plus he has a fairly objective consumer advice component to his reviews, which is better than being a relentless fanboy or purely snarky (Regular Car Reviews).

I agree that he may be a little too harsh about the interior materials, but given that he mostly reviews things at much higher price points (as does DeMuro), it's probably a shock to see so much low-grade plastic, etc. And he's not wrong about the ride, though things can be done about that. But given the credibility I think he has, it was great to hear how much he appreciates the FiST's driving dynamics. And considering that the car he borrowed overheated during the day he drove it, he was being fair by not bashing it for supposed reliability issues.

Of course, who cares what YouTube reviewers think, right?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I don't even know what the 16 improved upon outside of Sync. But the materials themselves for the interior are dog shit cheap. Again, I personally don't care but it's something that comes to mind when I touch them.

In regards to the tracking comment I was surprised by that as well as it seemed curiously dismissive. But I don't think there's any arguing that, especially in stock form, it's a far more sensible option for autocross over track.

Also surprised that he didn't mention the down low torque, heat soak (implied it in the shop section) and not even a complaint of the symposer, lol.
Re-designed head for better cooling, better axle seals that don't leak, revised suspension that is better balanced (mid '16+), better motor mount, more real rubber instead of plastic under the hood... https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...hanges-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years

But yeah no interior changes other than removing the lighting near the glove box due to glare while driving.. and yeah, it's econobox with cheap plastics but at least it's functional and modern design... Factory intercooler is actually better than most other turbo cars stock ones and is only an issue if you do multiple pulls in the heat. Only reason to worry about the Symposer at all is if you are tuned and want to eliminate a possible source of boost leak and/or have exhaust or intake mods for more noise, otherwise the hate on it is retarded... That said, I'm removing mine this weekend since I run a 27 PSI e30 tune and am simply swapping out the stock muffler for a glasspack to get a bit more sound.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Even though he's consistently dour and is prone to attempts at humor that indicate he thinks his viewers are mainly homophobic bros, I think Mr. Goose (Geese?) is one of the best automotive YouTube reviewers for a couple of reasons: He can really drive (has extensive track experience and has owned a Lotus, S2000, etc.), so his assessment of a car's dynamics are far more credible than most. Plus he has a fairly objective consumer advice component to his reviews, which is better than being a relentless fanboy or purely snarky (Regular Car Reviews).

I agree that he may be a little too harsh about the interior materials, but given that he mostly reviews things at much higher price points (as does DeMuro), it's probably a shock to see so much low-grade plastic, etc. And he's not wrong about the ride, though things can be done about that. But given the credibility I think he has, it was great to hear how much he appreciates the FiST's driving dynamics. And considering that the car he borrowed overheated during the day he drove it, he was being fair by not bashing it for supposed reliability issues.

Of course, who cares what YouTube reviewers think, right?
Heh, of course us as owners know all the fixes to little things, like if you want a bit softer ride and look better just go with Eibach springs... but the '14-'15 is under RECALL for the cooling issue, that means it's so bad it's a safety issue, he or the owner should know this...

A7xogg

I love his reviews especially like ksvtguy170 said abut his track driving background becasue you can truly appreciate a car that has a purpose at a price point.

Business6

Re-designed head for better cooling, better axle seals that don't leak, revised suspension that is better balanced (mid '16+), better motor mount, more real rubber instead of plastic under the hood... https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...hanges-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years

But yeah no interior changes other than removing the lighting near the glove box due to glare while driving.. and yeah, it's econobox with cheap plastics but at least it's functional and modern design... Factory intercooler is actually better than most other turbo cars stock ones and is only an issue if you do multiple pulls in the heat. Only reason to worry about the Symposer at all is if you are tuned and want to eliminate a possible source of boost leak and/or have exhaust or intake mods for more noise, otherwise the hate on it is retarded... That said, I'm removing mine this weekend since I run a 27 PSI e30 tune and am simply swapping out the stock muffler for a glasspack to get a bit more sound.
Ahh, interesting. If anything happens to my '14 I know what to look for, haha.

Regarding the interior I'm fine with it being cheap because I know what it is and what I got the car for. But that doesn't mean that, even for an econobox, they couldn't improve upon some stuff. And looking around at the rest of the interior the piano black plastic in the center is just terribly out of place. I'll disagree about the intercooler, though, because that thing is simply not up to the task of hot summers. No need to even qualify the poor performance from doing pulls: it can't deal with 120-140 degree surface temperatures on top of managing charge air temps. It's even worse at night because the roads haven't cooled down at all even hours after the sun sets and it's still 90º+ at 10pm. And before you ask yes, I have a new fmic waiting to be installed :p

I didn't mention the symposer as a concern but simply because it's brought up in almost every review and almost every review still gets it wrong in regards to it being "fake" sound. I personally didn't mind it but it was difficult to talk in the car at highway speeds when you needed any type of throttle as well. I'm glad it's blocked off now just for that specific reason and to remove a potential boost leak. I do think it gets too much hate as well

Business6

Even though he's consistently dour and is prone to attempts at humor that indicate he thinks his viewers are mainly homophobic bros
He must get some really weird messages because it comes up far more often than it should otherwise. All the reviewers have their faults and many of them simply try too hard at humor when it clearly isn't their strong point.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ahh, interesting. If anything happens to my '14 I know what to look for, haha.

Regarding the interior I'm fine with it being cheap because I know what it is and what I got the car for. But that doesn't mean that, even for an econobox, they couldn't improve upon some stuff. And looking around at the rest of the interior the piano black plastic in the center is just terribly out of place. I'll disagree about the intercooler, though, because that thing is simply not up to the task of hot summers. No need to even qualify the poor performance from doing pulls: it can't deal with 120-140 degree surface temperatures on top of managing charge air temps. It's even worse at night because the roads haven't cooled down at all even hours after the sun sets and it's still 90º+ at 10pm. And before you ask yes, I have a new fmic waiting to be installed :p

I didn't mention the symposer as a concern but simply because it's brought up in almost every review and almost every review still gets it wrong in regards to it being "fake" sound. I personally didn't mind it but it was difficult to talk in the car at highway speeds when you needed any type of throttle as well. I'm glad it's blocked off now just for that specific reason and to remove a potential boost leak. I do think it gets too much hate as well
I bet it's a combination of heat AND high altitude for you... up here in Oregon in the valley it will hit 100 in the summer sometimes, but it's always low humidity too when it get's that hot here, it took a 3rd WOT at 100 degrees to get the infamous heatsoak where charge temps hit 140... Dead serious, we just have SO many members that either live where it's hot or at altitude or both, and that's why you see so much hate on the intercooler, don't even most Audi's/VW's, hell, most other turbo cars have a crappy little square fender intercooler?

Every time I watch one of his videos. My wife says "It's that snooty guy with the wierd voice!" I'm good at imitating his voice. I just keep saying "Hey Scott!"

He pretty much summed up my feelings in regards to brakes with the letting air into the system comment. 20 piston callipers lol. I guess I'll try to research a less aggressive, occasional auto-x, pad for next brake change.

OP
N
Thread Starter #18
I love his reviews especially like ksvtguy170 said abut his track driving background becasue you can truly appreciate a car that has a purpose at a price point.
The interior all comes down to perspective imo as long as it’s still functional... I felt it was quite a nice place to be after spending years in an old accent

karp

It is a fair review, but the interior hate has become a cliche. The Fiesta ST has many touches that I've never had in a car.

I came from a 2014 Jetta SE "without connectivity". Talk about a drab and unpleasant interior. The plastics were diamond hard on every surface. At least the dash is soft touch in the Fiesta. Also, the Jetta had no automatic climate control, which I really appreciate, and no touch screen of any kind, just Bluetooth, buttons and knobs. It had no heated seats either.

The only thing I miss is the V-Tex leatherette seating. That stuff was indestructible, easy to care for, and looked as good as leather.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I think these interior biases are ridiculous Why? Its based off an economy car not a high end sports car. Its entry level again not mid or high end.
Now with all of that you start noticing it has stuff thats nice. Automatic Climate control, flawless sync in the 2017-2018 models i.e. the ones this jackass reviewed. In fact I plug my phone in and it recognizes it immediately and my nav apps appear on the cars screen. It also syncs the bluetooth fine. With the Recaros it looks good. The ambient lighting is a nice touch as well. In the end for the price its fine.

This guy is right up there with Doug DeMuro in the jackass reviewer department. Has driving experience but come off like opinionated amatuers.IMO.