Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking for a good intercooler that doesn't rely on stock mounting pieces.

Quite a while ago my front bumper was wrecked by a rabbit on the highway. Luckily the damage was center lower bumper, so I cut out the lower bar like some people do. There's no lower plastic or air dam anymore so the intercooler is only mounted using the two top holes. It's quite weak and it doesn't help that the mounting tabs are plastic.

So far, the way that the j-line mounts with the cmbuildz bracket looks excellent, but I keep seeing that it's a not so good intercooler. Any other ideas?

KKaWing

You can look at the Levels Performance intercoolers. There's street and race versions depending on what you need. They both mount via the two holes in the crash sensor bar.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You can look at the Levels Performance intercoolers. There's street and race versions depending on what you need. They both mount via the two holes in the crash sensor bar.
Good luck with LEVELS...a couple other members have had issues with them due to their lack of communication and delivery of product when stated....just an FYI...[ohcrap]

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
Good luck with LEVELS...a couple other members have had issues with them due to their lack of communication and delivery of product when stated....just an FYI...[ohcrap]
Any other ideas? If I’m left with creatively mounting one of the “direct replacement” options, I’m open to that too. I just think these plastic mounts have to go.

I'm with you on that one, the plastic mounts seem a little meh for anything much heavier than the stock I/C. I really like the looks of that pro alloy one with the whole beam, but its a little more involved.
or you can just cut a hole in your hood and put a top mount like a Subaru [:p]

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
I'm with you on that one, the plastic mounts seem a little meh for anything much heavier than the stock I/C. I really like the looks of that pro alloy one with the whole beam, but its a little more involved.
or you can just cut a hole in your hood and put a top mount like a Subaru [:p]
I also really liked the pro alloy when I first saw it, it’s the perfect solution and looks sick. And the installation doesn’t seem too crazy as I have to remove the crash bar to replace my radiator support anyways (damage from same rabbit, it went that far into my front end). My only conflict is it’s price for my untuned stock fiesta. I feel like it’s overkill. Now TMIC, that’s the perfect amount of overkill I think 🤔

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Which pro alloy one were you thinking of? is it the large one that covers more of the radiator ? if so....I would have to say its overkill for the stock snail...Now if you were going big turbo I would say sure...but remember when you go with a huge intercooler there can be a psi drop across the core due to its size. But if you were looking to use a different intercooler that doesn't use the stock hardware.... this one is pretty decent...you just have tt make sure you get it with the mounting kit....this one comes with it.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...a-st-intercooler-w-installation-kit-2014-2018

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Which pro alloy one were you thinking of? is it the large one that covers more of the radiator ? if so....I would have to say its overkill for the stock snail...Now if you were going big turbo I would say sure...but remember when you go with a huge intercooler there can be a psi drop across the core due to its size. But if you were looking to use a different intercooler that doesn't use the stock hardware.... this one is pretty decent...you just have tt make sure you get it with the mounting kit....this one comes with it.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...a-st-intercooler-w-installation-kit-2014-2018
just FYI both Pro Alloy options cover the entire radiator
the stage 3 is a little thinner and doesn't include a crash bar

I agree these intercoolers are not intended for stock turbo use but they are really not intended for big turbo applications either. They are widely used for competition purposes in the UK with X47, revo, and VUDU turbos...not really big turbos at all

OP
L
Thread Starter #9
just FYI both Pro Alloy options cover the entire radiator
the stage 3 is a little thinner and doesn't include a crash bar

I agree these intercoolers are not intended for stock turbo use but they are really not intended for big turbo applications either. They are widely used for competition purposes in the UK with X47, revo, and VUDU turbos...not really big turbos at all
Would you recommend the j-line for my purposes? I’ve heard negatives but if it’s better than OEM that’s all I care about. I’ve been happy with no power mods for 50k miles so if/when I do get an AP I probably won’t be getting anything aggressive as a tune.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Would you recommend the j-line for my purposes? I’ve heard negatives but if it’s better than OEM that’s all I care about. I’ve been happy with no power mods for 50k miles so if/when I do get an AP I probably won’t be getting anything aggressive as a tune.
I don't see any real negatives with the J-Line other than weight. It's a little on the heavy side but it's also rather large
There are owners that make great power and have logged efficient BAT's on 2860R's with that set up. It certainly has it's place on the Fiesta

My personal favorites are UK based intercoolers because I'm somewhat of a euro snob which derives from my VW days but I'm an equal opportunity modder
The J-Line probably performs better than any other intercooler on this platform for the money

My only conflict is it’s price for my untuned stock fiesta.
I think a good argument can be made that if your car is not tuned and otherwise totally stock, you really don't need to change the OEM intercooler. I doubt you will gain much, if anything, and you might very slightly introduce a bit of turbo lag since you will have a higher volume intercooler.

OP
L
Thread Starter #12
I think a good argument can be made that if your car is not tuned and otherwise totally stock, you really don't need to change the OEM intercooler. I doubt you will gain much, if anything, and you might very slightly introduce a bit of turbo lag since you will have a higher volume intercooler.
Very true, I agree with you. Like I mentioned though, my issue isn’t with performance it’s with the way that the oem intercooler mounts now that I’m missing the whole lower support for it. The plastic mounts are flimsy as hell and because my intercooler is fully exposed, any impact or even snow will probably tear this thing right off. Also because it’s exposed, the oem intercooler looks pretty bad so appearance kinda plays a part as well. I’m also thinking of tuning it in the future although it won’t be anything aggressive.

OP
L
Thread Starter #13
I don't see any real negatives with the J-Line other than weight. It's a little on the heavy side but it's also rather large
There are owners that make great power and have logged efficient BAT's on 2860R's with that set up. It certainly has it's place on the Fiesta

My personal favorites are UK based intercoolers because I'm somewhat of a euro snob which derives from my VW days but I'm an equal opportunity modder
The J-Line probably performs better than any other intercooler on this platform for the money
Thanks for the info. I think I’ll be going through you then. See ya next payday!