Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quiet 3" muffler?

koozy

3000 Post Club
my suggestion for the silencer comes from experience with my EVO VIII and a 3" exhaust similar in layout. The silencer on the tip worked. Can't hurt to try, he might have a buddy who can loan him one. They're not that expensive either. A used one would suffice.

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
my suggestion for the silencer comes from experience with my EVO VIII and a 3" exhaust similar in layout. The silencer on the tip worked. Can't hurt to try, he might have a buddy who can loan him one. They're not that expensive either. A used one would suffice.
I think i can order those from ebay or amazon for a few bucks. Gonna try that first.

And clit_beastwood, you sound like you've done your research. Very knowledgeable.

If i get some free'd up cash, im gonna look into the Greddy kit for the FiST. Im sure it sounds great.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Im currently running the "ebay" Tsudo 2.75" catback. Its not crazy loud, but the drone inside the cabin is noticeable.

Im expecting my newborn in early January, so i want to do something about the noise. I still have the stock exhaust, but i much rather change out out the Tsudo cannister muffler for something quieter.

Im thinking a Dynomax ultraflow or a magnaflow piece... unless you guys know of other options.

What say you?

Speaking from experience that drone if not too bad will knock that baby out on car rides. I have 6 kids, yes 6. And all them as babies my cars with exhaust would put them to sleep. Inside the womb is a very loud place so that mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the exhaust makes reminds them of it and calms them down. Dont worry about it being too loud or droney. I mean as long as it's not like nascar or dragster or crazy Harley loud you will be fine!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Just put a universal Magnaflow on it. They're not too loud and they don't drone.

But now for the shocker: Maybe try just a new tip if your main problem with the Tsudo is drone. When I switched just the tip on my setup, ALL of the drone disappeared. The cheap generic tip my exhaust shop used was exactly that - a cheap generic tip. The Milltek tip is engineered to not create drone and is worth every penny of the price. They're not cheap, but worth more than retail price imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Se7eN

I'm currently running a custom catback with a Vibrant Ultraquiet Resonator at the back. GTX2554 with catless DP and basicily straight pipe, that Vibrant quiets everything down to the point people think it's still catted.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1142-Ultra-Quiet-Resonator/dp/B001806YE2

PS. I know it's not a muffler but it's just about the quietest thing out there and it's compact so it can fit just about anywhere.

Se7eN

Just put a universal Magnaflow on it. They're not too loud and they don't drone.

But now for the shocker: Maybe try just a new tip if your main problem with the Tsudo is drone. When I switched just the tip on my setup, ALL of the drone disappeared. The cheap generic tip my exhaust shop used was exactly that - a cheap generic tip. The Milltek tip is engineered to not create drone and is worth every penny of the price. They're not cheap, but worth more than retail price imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I used to run a Universal Magnaflow resonator, once I went catless it was as if it wasn't even there. Have run Magnaflow Mufflers on other cars I've had and yes, they do make a bit of difference.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
ha its the same type of end cap a lot of motorcycle exhausts run - I launched one into a cars windshield once because the screw came loose :|

OP - use loctite!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I think i can order those from ebay or amazon for a few bucks. Gonna try that first.

And clit_beastwood, you sound like you've done your research. Very knowledgeable.

If i get some free'd up cash, im gonna look into the Greddy kit for the FiST. Im sure it sounds great.

I'm pretty well practiced in acoustics, simply working to apply it to car exhaust now :p

my current exhaust system I designed all by calculating the frequencies; other than making a mistake when I calculated the speed of sound inside the exhaust it's all pretty spot-on. I need to shorten my custom made resonator by about half an inch but thats hardly worth doing until I have something else I need to do down there.

I still owe forum people pics of my exhaust, but I tucked the helmholtz above the tailpipe so you can't see anything with the exhaust installed. it looks like the thermal with a vibrant ultraquiet added to the back :p

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
update? did you get the silencer?
Not yet, thanks for the reminder! Gonna order tonite. Just enjoying my exhaust for the time being.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
My 10 month old on Monday passed out twice damn near right away in the fist with a decat and cpe. I'm telling you from experience it's not going to bother the baby but comfort them. The womb if ridiculously loud. All 6 of my kids lulled off to exhaust sound of some sort many many times.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
My 10 month old on Monday passed out twice damn near right away in the fist with a decat and cpe. I'm telling you from experience it's not going to bother the baby but comfort them. The womb if ridiculously loud. All 6 of my kids lulled off to exhaust sound of some sort many many times.

Listen to the man he's got some experience.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
I think the wife dislikes the exhaust more than the baby ever will. LOL

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
Let's hear it! Got video? Made a difference?
Update: i havent done anything to the exhaust yet.

Ive driven with my baby in the car twice, and both times the baby fell asleep. I did drive more conservatively to keep noise down.

I drive alone 95% of the time. No reason to change anything out yet.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club

Ive driven with my baby in the car twice, and both times the baby fell asleep. I did drive more conservatively to keep noise down.

See. Your straight. Baby's love it.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

Still though, set up your phone with a spectrum analyzer app and drive around. If you see spikes below 120hz you are going to damage the baby's hearing with tones you don't even hear. Seriously man, this is what my wife does for a living, audiology and communicative disorders in children. That damage does not heal - at least download a full app and get a good picture of the sounds you can't hear. There's a free IOS app called "spectrum" which does a "good enough" job. Fire up a spectrum analyzer app, turn on "peak hold" (should be an option in just about any app) and drive around. If you aren't sure what you are reading, take a screenshot of the results and post up here.

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
Still though, set up your phone with a spectrum analyzer app and drive around. If you see spikes below 120hz you are going to damage the baby's hearing with tones you don't even hear.
Good to know. Thanks.