Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

You don't want more power, you want less grip!

I just bought a set of used fiesta SE 15" wheels with Westlake AS tires, basically to keep my chassis from dragging while I drove to work and back. These tires are truly crappy! I have the SCT 91 octane tune and a Quaife, and the tires spin in a second gear roll! I'm so happy I LOL every time it happens. And it happens a lot because I get such a kick out of it. I am a child!

So naturally I take the FiST to the track at my first opportunity. Oh my God what a blast! Sideways everywhere, and I had to actually manage the power exiting corners, it was spinning in third! I'm never buying sticky tires again!

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Safe it is not! I can't believe people drive around on these things thinking they're "good enough."

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sounds great IF you like spinning/smoking FRONT tires (I do NOT!). [nono]

I don't even like FWD/'import' drag racing, and as far as I'm concerned, if the front wheels NEVER spin (or 'light up') whatsoever, I will be HAPPY, as the ONLY reason I am willing to accept a FWD ride is IF there is traction, and some resultant good handling. [wink]

Jerickson88

I don't even like FWD/'import' drag racing, and as far as I'm concerned, if the front wheels NEVER spin (or 'light up') whatsoever, I will be HAPPY, as the ONLY reason I am willing to accept a FWD ride is IF there is traction, and some resultant good handling. [wink]
You mean to tell me it’s not a satisfying feeling to see the little light blink when you romp down on it in the dry from a roll? I don’t like my wheel being jerked around, but it’s neat when the car is recognizing a traction issue

A7xogg

There is satisfaction trying to tame 400whp through the front wheels with your right pedal

OP
A
Thread Starter #9

Not sure why you bought a FiST ... Anyway, no disrespect, we can all have fun in our own way.
It's taken me a long time and a lot of money to discover that lap times aren't MY key to automotive happiness. I get more enjoyment from driving at the limit on crappy tires while ultimately going slower. I think you secretly agree with me, judging by your signature picture. WRC cars are always sliding.

OP
A
Thread Starter #10
You mean to tell me it’s not a satisfying feeling to see the little light blink when you romp down on it in the dry from a roll? I don’t like my wheel being jerked around, but it’s neat when the car is recognizing a traction issue
I pulled my ABS fuse, so no blinking for me!

I only do this at the track, and I've been track driving for 30+ years. If you choose to try this please please please stay off the public roads, and be freakin' careful!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
So you are saying it is unsafe to drive a car without ABS? LOL okay

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Pshaw! ABS, air bags, crumple zones, seat belts... Buncha SNOWFLAKES!!!

"Ooh, I don't want to get hurt in an accident!" Man up, wimps!

OP
A
Thread Starter #14
Pshaw! ABS, air bags, crumple zones, seat belts... Buncha SNOWFLAKES!!!

"Ooh, I don't want to get hurt in an accident!" Man up, wimps!
Jeez, I can't win!
It's quite obviously safe enough for me, since I actually drive without ABS and stability control. The airbags and crumple zones stay. And I wear my seat belt!
I'm a former motorcycle road racer and motocrosser, XR, so safety is not at the very top of my priorities. I just don't want you to get hurt...https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Btw, I owned an XL650 many years ago, and loved it. Best wheelie/stoppie machine ever.

OP
A
Thread Starter #15
These kids and their ABS .. in my day we had to modulate the bake pedal ourselves! ..... Get off my Lawn! [rofl]

Actually jokes aside ya not having ABS =unsafe ? [hihi]
Not having ABS at the track was cool. ABS has been mandatory since 1990 or so, and I sort of forgot when the wheels are locked you can't turn! I habitually brake very deep into corners (especially FWD), and kept running wide of my apex until I remembered to release the brake a bit. What a blast!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Mandatory? Um, no. Passenger cars weren't mandated to have ABS until 2013.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
These kids and their ABS .. in my day we had to modulate the bake pedal ourselves! ..... Get off my Lawn! [rofl]

Actually jokes aside ya not having ABS =unsafe ? [hihi]
ABS is definitely safer but I wouldn't say it's unsafe to not have it. People got by for decades without it, and learned to "pump the brakes" if they ever locked up. I grew up on a track and am quite proficient at threshold braking. ABS is a nice safety net but I could live without it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not sure why you bought a FiST ... Anyway, no disrespect, we can all have fun in our own way.
It's taken me a long time and a lot of money to discover that lap times aren't MY key to automotive happiness. I get more enjoyment from driving at the limit on crappy tires while ultimately going slower. I think you secretly agree with me, judging by your signature picture. WRC cars are always sliding.
WRC cars are always sliding because they are carrying so much speed that it overcomes even the BEST tires for the given conditions, AND their very technically competent AWD /gearbox/limited slip diffs/traction control systems.

I would LOVE for this car to have been AWD, despite the added co$t and weight that most on here always put down so much. [wink]

And yes, the car 'moving around' during cornering can be (somewhat) fun, but I just CANNOT STAND FWD wheel spin, and then the severe torque steer once it eventually 'bites', and I HATE HATE HATE FWD burnouts (about the MOST 'ricer' thing one can do!).

I know that I am in the vast minority here (and everywhere), but to me, "hooning" around, as everyone labels it, requires either RWD, or AWD with a slight rear wheel power bias, regardless of how 'loose' the un-powered rear of a FWD car is set up. ;)

WRC cars are always sliding because they are carrying so much speed that it overcomes even the BEST tires for the given conditions, AND their very technically competent AWD /gearbox/limited slip diffs/traction control systems.

I would LOVE for this car to have been AWD, despite the added co$t and weight that most on here always put down so much. [wink]

And yes, the car 'moving around' during cornering can be (somewhat) fun, but I just CANNOT STAND FWD wheel spin, and then the severe torque steer once it eventually 'bites', and I HATE HATE HATE FWD burnouts (about the MOST 'ricer' thing one can do!).

I know that I am in the vast minority here (and everywhere), but to me, "hooning" around, as everyone labels it, requires either RWD, or AWD with a slight rear wheel power bias, regardless of how 'loose' the un-powered rear of a FWD car is set up. ;)
I’m with you HOWEVER, you can hoon fwd on select road surfaces. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not having ABS at the track was cool. ABS has been mandatory since 1990 or so, and I sort of forgot when the wheels are locked you can't turn! I habitually brake very deep into corners (especially FWD), and kept running wide of my apex until I remembered to release the brake a bit. What a blast!
Ah no it was not mandatory in 1990.

ABS is definitely safer but I wouldn't say it's unsafe to not have it. People got by for decades without it, and learned to "pump the brakes" if they ever locked up. I grew up on a track and am quite proficient at threshold braking. ABS is a nice safety net but I could live without it.

Not even unsafe to not have it. I am with you we learned to pump aka modulate the brakes ourselves. 510’s 240Z’s . I did not have ABS till I started driving 240sx’s and that crap was primitive compared to todays.

ABS is nice on the street. Though if you really want to late break you definitely do not want ABS in the picture.