Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Deleting reverse lockout

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Anyone have a potential write up on this? I am just curious. Mainly want to do this because I do not like the RLO and it really limits selection of shift knobs.

The only current solution is (I forget the maker) but it's a gated shifter for the low price of only 150. If you simply remove the lockout mech, good luck getting into first as you'll tend to fly by it and land in reverse. Have you looked at the reverse lockout adapters available out there? Basically a small extension to house the mech and an inch or so of shaft so you can have whatever knob you want

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I currently have an extension that fits over. It’s bulky and not that good looking. I deleted the lockout on my old zx3 without any issue as it was a simple plastic collar. There is no lockout on the SVT getrag which has a similar pattern. And I operated that for years before owning the fiesta st. It should be impossible to shift into reverse with the car moving. On my SVT it took a good smack to get into reverse when stationary.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I’m using the old svt knob that I cut down when I put a rediculous extension on that car for giggles.

DaveG99

Why even change the shift knob at all? I guess people run out of shit to do on their car?

Why even change the shift knob at all? I guess people run out of shit to do on their car?
LOL, I've thought about the same thing.... I think the stock one is great. I changed the stock one i had on my DSM years ago for a weighted one and in no way was it "way better" than the one i had. But since I've gotten older (29), I've grown to appreciate more of a stock-ish aesthetic. My philosophy on modifying is this.... "What did the engineers intend to do but the penny pinchers scaled back?"

Speaking for myself only, I really hate the square-ish shift knobs that are used on most manual transmission cars these days. Nothing feels better in the hand than a plain round ball type of shift knob. Got mine from CJ Pony Parts (with the reverse lock-out recess) and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club
LOL, I've thought about the same thing.... I think the stock one is great. I changed the stock one i had on my DSM years ago for a weighted one and in no way was it "way better" than the one i had. But since I've gotten older (29), I've grown to appreciate more of a stock-ish aesthetic. My philosophy on modifying is this.... "What did the engineers intend to do but the penny pinchers scaled back?"
Kinda feel the same way. I chose to get a Focus RS OEM knob just because its blue lettering instead of the red but besides that its identical to the factory ST knob.

I currently have an extension that fits over. It’s bulky and not that good looking. I deleted the lockout on my old zx3 without any issue as it was a simple plastic collar. There is no lockout on the SVT getrag which has a similar pattern. And I operated that for years before owning the fiesta st. It should be impossible to shift into reverse with the car moving. On my SVT it took a good smack to get into reverse when stationary.
Totally not that way with the FiST. Drove for a few months with a partially broken mech, to where it would decide when it wanted to actually engage or not. When it wouldn't engage, there was no difference in force to go into reverse or first. Here's an easy thing you can try (and you'll see what I mean...) pull the shift boot off which will also pull off the reverse lockout mech and try to go into first instead of reverse

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Some people just love the feeling of a big smooth ball or thick shaft between their hand.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 you know me too well.
I I personally don’t like the feeling of the stock shift knob. The stock one in the SVT was much better. Not to mention has actual leather on it. I plan on changing up the shift boot as well since the stock boot is flimsy vynil.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Totally not that way with the FiST. Drove for a few months with a partially broken mech, to where it would decide when it wanted to actually engage or not. When it wouldn't engage, there was no difference in force to go into reverse or first. Here's an easy thing you can try (and you'll see what I mean...) pull the shift boot off which will also pull off the reverse lockout mech and try to go into first instead of reverse
I can try that this weekend I guess. I usually slow to a stop in second. And unless you pull toward your knee to go into first, it shouldn’t go into reverse.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Some places make custom ones for are cars even. I like my cobb knob. I wasn't a fan of the stock shape.

Intuit

3000 Post Club