Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New 2017 FiST, 500 miles....clunk clunk on shift...

So today I finally got the shifting clunk disease everyone was talking about. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, clunk noise with each shift. I had no clue what the hell it was, and was actually worried something was wrong with my brand new car. I googled it and I guess it's a "normal thing" that FiST cars make? So yes, I searched for it on the forums, but just for my sanity, I'm asking anyway. This is a known issue right, and basically it's comes with the "character of the car" persona? And there is no fix, besides pretending i don't hear it and move on.

Buddy you are not alone. Got my clunks at 1,000 miles and at 4,000 Ford still has not come up with a answer. This week I took it in to the dealer and they ran a check on the clutch. Found a bad slave cylinder and replaced it. Same problem with the clunks. They had the transmission out on the bench and the axles off so this would have been the time to really do some checking and replacing of the axles as they are doing on the 2016's. When the service rep road tested it he wrote "Road tested and operating as designed".... Someone please contact Getrag to send me one of there poorly designed 6 speeds and they can have mine back.. Even Honda has had problems with a 6 spd and blew-off the owners for years. I guess all service departments come from the same mold.. Great little car but my last Ford. Good luck and if you find a dealer with the fix let me know and I'll drive across country to get mine fixed.
Dick- Venice, FL

Last edited:
I'm also getting a clunk shifting into 1st from a dead stop and at slow speeds tapping on the gas pedal. That could be a RMM but shifting into 1st while stopped has me fooled. Maybe tranny? Also the at higher RPM's no noticeable clunk when shifting. Have another appointment with the dealer to see what the "Tech Hotline" wants to try.

I'm also getting a clunk shifting into 1st from a dead stop and at slow speeds tapping on the gas pedal. That could be a RMM but shifting into 1st while stopped has me fooled. Maybe tranny? Also the at higher RPM's no noticeable clunk when shifting. Have another appointment with the dealer to see what the "Tech Hotline" wants to try. I bought a Cobb RMM but waiting for Ford to exhaust all their efforts. Will suggest that they check the torque on the RMM as someone mentioned.
Installed the Cobb RMM and can still some clunking sounds shifting. Guess it's just normal transmission parts moving around or internal play.
Not going to pursue the issue anymore as everything works OK.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Had the clunking also right away....not even 1k out on my 15'...brought to the dealer...dismissed me as Normal....put in a Boomba RMM....problem gone.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you have audio of the clunking?

My transmission makes a soft clunking sound as well when shifting, has been doing it since day one and I have 37K worry-free miles. My previous car, a 2012 Fiesta 5-speed, also made a lot of noise when shifting, and I put 56K miles on that with no issues.

It's still an economy car, so you will likely hear more of the mechanics than in other cars (engine is loud too). It is likely normal but an audio clip would help others diagnose your problem. Unless it sounds like a grinding issue or the sound gets louder/changes over time, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I had an open thread documenting the same issue accompanied by popping when reversing out of my drive way with the wheel turned. They replaced the half shafts on my 2016 and the issue went away.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
First started hearing at 1k but the noise comes and goes... and it's a loud "clack" rather than a dull clunk. But I also ride with my windows open. I suspect it has to do with how I "land" on the joints when I release the clutch. There's too much slack somewhere in the drive train. How fast or slow it's moving has no impact. How "smooth" the clutch release is, has an impact. New, the axle shafts were rusted when everything surrounding them was bright and clean. If replacing the axle shafts has no impact, then it has to be internal to the differential/transmission... which reminds me that I've wanted to swap out the factory trans fluid. Anyway, if we start to get reports about axle shafts breaking, we'll know. Until then, it just remains a noisy embarrassment that in ignorance to observers, may be chalked-up as, "there goes another Powershift Transmission...".

I *really* have rev the living snot out of it get any rear motor mount contact and therefore have no plans to mess with that. No out-of-the-ordinary noises, either in occurrence or volume when shifting into first at a stop. There's barely any noise at all under those circumstances.

After 6,000 miles of hearing the clunk clunk I still have not been able to isolate where the noise is coming from.. Could be anywhere in the drive train or linkage. I put a COBB RMM on and I think the shifting feels more solid but who knows. Everything works great but it sounds like the car was assembled in a 3rd world country. No more Fiesta ST's after 2017 so I'm sure Ford has washed their hands of anymore complaints... Drive it til it breaks then we'll know where the problem is. But it is such a fun car to drive.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=1353]XR650R[/MENTION] - Nice how grinding noises from a manual shift are referred to as a "concern" rather than "problem".

We could build a wall with used Fiesta ST's....
While our Fiestas were built in Mexico, I don't think that's what he meant. [wink]

But with him spending the last few weeks begging the congressional minority for more funding, it's apparent that he didn't know what he meant either. [idea] That dude is pitiful. [headslap] [facepalm]

Getting back to the clunk issue: Those with newer 2017 ST's might want to go back a year or two in the Forum and follow what others have tried to find the answer and why after 500 or 1,000 miles is something breaking-in or breaking down causing the clunk sound. There was a SSM that covered the half shafts for the 2016's and that worked for one owner but when I showed my dealer the memo he said it didn't apply to me.. I guess just keep having the service department record your complaint each time is about all we can do until Engineering comes up with a fix. Good Luck and keep the Forum informed.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
............... There was a SSM that covered the half shafts for the 2016's and that worked for one owner but when I showed my dealer the memo he said it didn't apply to me.. I guess just keep having the service department record your complaint each time ....................
By then, the excuse will be that we're out of warranty.
- "Well the problem was reported back when it was still under warranty, and wasn't addressed."
- "Sorry, we won't resolve *YOUR* problem."
This type of thing is exactly what costs them repeat business down the road.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/12612-Gauging-interest-M-factory-updated-CV-axle-shafts