Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hesitation while accelerating

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Then take it in.
Don't forget to let us know what they found or did.

Get the document(s) that lists diagnosis and replacement parts.

Get the old parts... assuming they won't be shipped back to Ford for warranty replacement with their contracted parts supplier.

koozy

3000 Post Club

Get the old parts... assuming they won't be shipped back to Ford for warranty replacement with their contracted parts supplier.
You got the wrong person, I'm not taking my car in.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Sounds like cylinder misfire IMO. It will likely be plugs and/or bad coil pack(s). Had a buddy who's Fiesta ST hit a wall @ about 3.5k at a dyno day, swapped properly gapped plugs and it was good as new. ECU didn't even log the misfire code....its my understanding sometimes they get logged sometimes not.

Should be covered under powertrain warranty.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Not the wrong person. I know you're not taking it in.
That was an addition to your suggestion of taking it in for warranty service.
You quoted me and I get a notification, not the OP. Your intent may be oblivious to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Sounds like cylinder misfire IMO. It will likely be plugs and/or bad coil pack(s). Had a buddy who's Fiesta ST hit a wall @ about 3.5k at a dyno day, swapped properly gapped plugs and it was good as new. ECU didn't even log the misfire code....its my understanding sometimes they get logged sometimes not.

Should be covered under powertrain warranty.
If the buddy's FiST was on a dynonometer, there's a good bet that it wasn't on stock hardware/programming. Tuners have been known to blow-up plugs, among other things. Stock though, maintenance schedule specifies 100,000 miles (160km).

Intuit

3000 Post Club
You quoted me and I get a notification, not the OP. Your intent may be oblivious to him.
Unlike us, the poster has more of an invested interest and should be following this thread; which means he should be following all of the comments; not just the ones that quote his own comments.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Unlike us, the poster has more of an invested interest and should be following this thread; which means he should be following all of the comments; not just the ones that quote his own comments.
Please donā€™t quote me ever again, thanks.

Iā€™ll do the same.

I donā€™t want to get useless notifications.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Please donā€™t quote me ever again, thanks.

Iā€™ll do the same.

I donā€™t want to get useless notifications.

Why? Kidding...just wanted to give you a worthless notification!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Dudes and their flipping PMS. [repost]

Intuit said:
Kooky Said: Then take it in.
AGREED. Original Poster:

There. Fixes are in red. [scratch]

I'm gona take a stab and say it's shitty cheap gas [dunno]

I've only had my car less than 3 weeks, about 750mi. . ...my first couple fill-ups were a nearby cheap gas station with the recommended 87. ... I've since started going to a "cleaner" gas station and using no less than 89 since I'm puttin my foot in it, and the manual does recommend a higher octane for towing, stress driving etc.

What kinda gas are you filling with? I'm really surprised noone started there

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm gona take a stab and say it's shitty cheap gas [dunno]

I've only had my car less than 3 weeks, about 750mi. . ...my first couple fill-ups were a nearby cheap gas station with the recommended 87. ... I've since started going to a "cleaner" gas station and using no less than 89 since I'm puttin my foot in it, and the manual does recommend a higher octane for towing, stress driving etc.

What kinda gas are you filling with? I'm really surprised noone started there
First off....This is a performance vehicle....That requires premium in order to see the full benefits of its Turbo charged glory. Second....if you bought this vehicle to be frugal....go trade it in on a normal Fiesta as the performance ST deserves better than some shmuck wagon trying to save an extra $120 per year on gas.....Third this isn't 1970 where quality issues with gas were common due to poor quality control and poor tank maintenance. Be nice to your Fist...put at least a 91 Oct in it....it deserves it and you deserve to feel its power and get less of a chance of deposits forming on the intake valves.

Last edited:
I hope you weren't saying all that "first of all/second of all" stuff to me by quoting me [poke]

Sure it's a performance vehicle, but the manual still says to just put regular pump gas in it. My experience is that "performance vehicles" are more likely to experience lagging or hesitation when putting cheap gas under stress. ..cruising in traffic gas is gas, but when you put your foot in it, you need something that might not have water leeched into it from a crappy storage tank, poorly filtering pumps, etc etc etc, that's why I even made my post.

And please don't lecture people on what they can or should afford. Again, when you're cruising, gas is gas.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I hope you weren't saying all that "first of all/second of all" stuff to me by quoting me [poke]

Sure it's a performance vehicle, but the manual still says to just put regular pump gas in it. My experience is that "performance vehicles" are more likely to experience lagging or hesitation when putting cheap gas under stress. ..cruising in traffic gas is gas, but when you put your foot in it, you need something that might not have water leeched into it from a crappy storage tank, poorly filtering pumps, etc etc etc, that's why I even made my post.

And please don't lecture people on what they can or should afford. Again, when you're cruising, gas is gas.
To get the advertised horsepower in the manual it's 93 octane. My car only gets 93 octane.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
First off....This is a performance vehicle....That requires premium in order to see the full benefits of its Turbo charged glory. Second....if you bought this vehicle to be frugal....go trade it in on a normal Fiesta as the performance ST deserves better than some shmuck wagon trying to save an extra $120 per year on gas.....Third this isn't 1970 where quality issues with gas were common due to poor quality control and poor tank maintenance. Be nice to your Fist...put at least a 91 Oct in it....it deserves it and you deserve to feel its power and get less of a chance of deposits forming on the intake valves.

I'm with you buddy 100%. Makes me sick people are putting regular gas in this car.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If that's the case, then testing will be rather simple... though it may take a couple of tanks of premium (Top-Tier Fuel) to confirm or deny.

To note the manual does not mention 93 specifically, but merely "Premium", which per Shell is "91-94" octane. Octane of course varies per region or altitude.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If that's the case, then testing will be rather simple... though it may take a couple of tanks of premium (Top-Tier Fuel) to confirm or deny.

To note the manual does not mention 93 specifically, but merely "Premium", which per Shell is "91-94" octane. Octane of course varies per region or altitude.
My bad it says 91 or higher. In the supplement ST manual to get the advertised horsepower it's 93 octane. Just because it says it can run on 87 does not mean that it was meant for it. Running and running good are not the same.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My bad it says 91 or higher. In the supplement ST manual to get the advertised horsepower it's 93 octane. Just because it says it can run on 87 does not mean that it was meant for it. Running and running good are not the same.

It still baffles me why people buy a Performance vehicle and don't want the full on experience if you get what I mean. [pcpunch]