Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What psi for snow tires ?

GTP

Calling all northern snow warriors. What psi are you running on snow tires? How low can we go before the tpms system throws a code?

Thanks!

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Calling all northern snow warriors. What psi are you running on snow tires? How low can we go before the tpms system throws a code?

Thanks!
I run 42/39, spec is 39/36.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I run spec pressures when I put them on when it is about 40degF. Pretty much just leave them alone at that point

Last edited:
i also run higher than stock pressure in my snows normally around 42 in the front and rear sometimes lower the rear a few psi but haven't noticed a difference really.

OP
GTP

GTP

Thread Starter #5
You guys have good traction with the tires at those pressures?

Thanks!
My invoice advised 35 all around for my 185/60-15 altimax arctics. not sure about the tpms as i don't have sensors in my winters.

OP
GTP

GTP

Thread Starter #7
Thanks fellas. I just tried 39/37 and tried my uber-slick driveway covered with 2 inches of snow and some slippy stuff underneath.

My 17 Jetta 1.8 used to just walk right up the drive on Altimax Artics. But that is a lot heavier car. The Fiesta with traction control (one push) did a lot of spinning at very low rpms 1200 or so an clawed scratched and slithered its was to the top. Was not the most confidence inspiring ride up the drive I've had. Wonder if I should completely disable TC.?

I have 195/55/15 Yoko IceGuard IG52cs that are not brand new but maybe 1000 miles or so. They seemed to skin across the slick pavement so I went down to 34/34 at both ends to see if the softer tire grips a bit more (a la drag racing)?

OP
GTP

GTP

Thread Starter #9
Why would you turn t/c off?
It defeats wheel spin. You need some form of slippage (spin) in order for dedicated snow tires to optimally work. Go to a slick hill, try going up with full traction control. Most of the times you can't. Wheel slip is eliminated and you eventually go no where. With TC off you can manage a little wheel spin (not too much) which makes the snow tires collect snow and grip the other snow like a cougar going up a tree.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am running 37F/39R right now, knowing that is going to be snowing here shortly. I usually bump it up to 41F/43R if no snow is coming for awhile. But I also run super narrow tires.

OP
GTP

GTP

Thread Starter #12
I am running 37F/39R right now, knowing that is going to be snowing here shortly. I usually bump it up to 41F/43R if no snow is coming for awhile. But I also run super narrow tires.
I am thinking because I am on a 195/55 itā€™s a bit wide.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah you could go higher in pressure and have plenty of tread on the road, say up to 45 PSIG to compensate for the sidewall softness.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Yeah you could go higher in pressure and have plenty of tread on the road, say up to 45 PSIG to compensate for the sidewall softness.
This. Higher psi largely negates the negatives of a softer sidewall, but of course the ride suffers and you run a higher risk of rim damage. You will also wear the center quicker than the edge depending on how high you go.

I would run lower tire pressures so that when it snows to give you more foot print. More TP will decrease your foot print and will provide contact point in the middle of the tire. I would run just enough to give you full contact- I would estimate somewhere between 30-35 PSI.

OP
GTP

GTP

Thread Starter #16
I would run lower tire pressures so that when it snows to give you more foot print. More TP will decrease your foot print and will provide contact point in the middle of the tire. I would run just enough to give you full contact- I would estimate somewhere between 30-35 PSI.
I was leaning towards this as I remember back in the drag days I would air down to get a fatter softer tire to grab onto the pavement. I am in no man's land thinking about snow tires and how grip in snow and ice/slush differs.

Do I want a larger foot print-or a smaller narrower footprint to cut through the muck down to the traction. At first, I was thinking that I wanted a hard stiff tire to cut through down to pavement. Then I started thinking the higher pressures made the tires too hard and there was a skating effect with the contact patches. Back to the start I thought a softer tire would grab more easily but snow and ice makes it more buoyant skimming over the snow and slush...ugh.

at this point I think about rally cars and they have narrow/thin tires with high pressures to firm up the sidewall and cut through the dirt and mud to reduce hydroplaning effect and get traction rather than having a big wide tire floating over the road.

Who knows-long story short, I am trying 37F/35 rear and may go down to 35/33 and see how that does.

As a side note-35/33 rides so much better [:)]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When rally cars must blast down snow/ice covered stages, they use motorcycle tire width (IF that!) HEAVILY studded/spiked tires to dig into the packed ice.

The only real advantage I can think of for using very low pressures in snow/slush conditions is the tread gap clearing/cleaning effect as a result of the sidewall, and tread itself flexing more to evacuate the packed in snow/slush. ;)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Roughly 39.556/37.012 PSI front/rear.
215/45R17 stock wheels.

Automatic sh*t slush-box transmissions may be better about getting you going without a bunch of wheel spin. Man trans are better for maintaining control, once you're already moving and/or are slowing to a stop.

OP
GTP

GTP

Thread Starter #20
Roughly 39.556/37.012 PSI front/rear.
215/45R17 stock wheels.

Automatic sh*t slush-box transmissions may be better about getting you going without a bunch of wheel spin. Man trans are better for maintaining control, once you're already moving and/or are slowing to a stop.

Maybe I am expecting it to grip and go like the heavier porkier VW on winter tires. I will adjust my expectations slightly, I am sure I can arrive at a happy tire pressure that sure is looking like its going to end up at stock levels. Imagine that.!