Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fact vs. Fiction: Explaining California’s New Exhaust Noise Law

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Anyone is free to buy a db meter, even a db meter app their phone to test the sound being emitted from their vehicle. There's no vudu to using a tool to see where your car stands. The testing procedure is available for SAE J1169. Exhaust manufacturers who want to sell a part and be noise compliant use the procedure and their own tools during R&D.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Yeah, technically a certified audio tester isn't an "official california state testing station", but if you provide an officer with evidence and are cool and understanding about "it sounded loud, I agree, so I had it tested!" instead of combative it might work. I got pulled over in my Abarth a lot, I finally had a dealership print out the service manual page for the exhaust system on dealership letterhead to keep in my glove compartment. Not technically certifiable proof, but it shows them that a) you were aware *and concerned* about the same thing that concerns them, and b) you were proactive in taking steps to assess and/or mitigate the perceived problem. Also, cops are people - I've found that treating them with *sincere* respect goes a long way. Do not *volunteer* information though, and avoid answering questions, no matter how innocuous they sound.
I believe if the exhaust is factory your good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dmb

As I understand it, NO vehicle that was not originally designated for Flex Fuel may use it.
I personally think the anti siphon device is so you can't get it out and drink it.

Dave
that's why they put the gas in it, ruins the buzz. $2.85 for fire water? we would be Russia in no time. a lot of farmers get pulled over by the A.T.F./I.R.S for not paying their fuel taxes. same thing for the guys that have the ask me about Bio diesel conversions stickers all over their diesel cars and trucks. proves every L.E.O office has a Barney Fife.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
So, if I’m reading this correctly, aftermarket intercoolers are legal, while catch cans are not because they affect the EGR system.

You are not reading it correctly.
Catch Cans are not required to have an EO#.

BTW: Catch Cans are NOT part of the EGR system.

Dave

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
So, if I’m reading this correctly, aftermarket intercoolers are legal, while catch cans are not because they affect the EGR system.
OE like fitment intercoolers are legal, they are viewed as a "replacement" part. Oil catch cans will most likely fail a visual for smog, as it is considered an "add-on" part. No modifications are allowed between the air intake and catalytic converter. It will most definitely fail if it vents to atmosphere.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
OE like fitment intercoolers are legal, they are viewed as a "replacement" part. Oil catch cans will most likely fail a visual for smog, as it is considered an "add-on" part. No modifications are allowed between the air intake and catalytic converter. It will most definitely fail if it vents to atmosphere.

I am afraid you are not entirely incorrect as well.

You are part right on the intercooler.
However the main reason is that CARB has never been able to explain in court as to how an intercooler effects emissions.

Again only part correct on the Catch Can.
A Catch Can if connected correctly is part of the PCV system, so yes, if vented to atmosphere will fail.
However a Catch Can IS an oil separator and therefore, listed under "Other", not required to have an EO#
It is the responsibility of the Smog Check Inspector to determine if it is connected correctly and NOT effecting any other emission control system.

Dave

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
sorry Dave I don't agree.

An added oil catch can will fail smog checks. It will be considered a modification to the PCV system. No modifications are allowed between air intake and catalytic converter. installing one reconfigures the manufacturer's original emission system design.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Of course, doesn’t stop you from getting pulled over, and now it shifts the burden of proof to you. It’s easier to just head it off when possible.
I had a buddy that had factory installed front window tint. Had to get a dealer sticker with the info on it to avoid a ticket when pulled over. It worked.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
sorry Dave I don't agree.

An added oil catch can will fail smog checks. It will be considered a modification to the PCV system. No modifications are allowed between air intake and catalytic converter. installing one reconfigures the manufacturer's original emission system design.

Your statement is basically correct however, an oil separator is specifically listed as not requiring an EO#.
Please understand, that as a Smog Inspector I did this for a living for almost 20 years.
This question has come up before and no car that I know of has ever been failed for a catch can.

You don't have to believe me.
You can call the BAR office in Valencia and ask them.

Please also understand that I admit that I am not 100% up to speed on ALL the smog stuff but these are basic things and I had to comply with that appendix to the Smog Test Manual.

Dave

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
I agree that it doesn't need an EO #, but for the reasons I stated it will most likely and should fail with most smog techs. Now if a smog tech is not sharp or laxed he may let it slide, but technically I believe it will fail.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
There is no point in beating a dead horse.
The point is mute as I don't need to get my car tested for another 4 years unless I sell it sooner.
However, when I do, I plan to leave mine connected.

I suggest you call the BAR office and find out for sure, I know what they will say, I HAVE asked before.

Dave

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
I defer someone who it may be affected to call. I have no vested interest as I don’t have a catch can or plan on ever installing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
I am afraid you are not entirely incorrect as well.

You are part right on the intercooler.
However the main reason is that CARB has never been able to explain in court as to how an intercooler effects emissions.

Dave
It seems pretty clear that regardless of CARB the aftermarket intercooler has to be OE like in fitment. If CARB can’t explain a valid reason, that’s their problem.

One can’t swap from a top mount intercooler like found on the early Toyota Celica All-Trac turbo to a front mount intercooler. That would be an obvious modification.

Your statement is basically correct however, an oil separator is specifically listed as not requiring an EO#.
Please understand, that as a Smog Inspector I did this for a living for almost 20 years.
This question has come up before and no car that I know of has ever been failed for a catch can.

Dave
While you know if none, there have been countless who have failed (not Fiesta specific), more so if their catch can vented to atmosphere.

If in 20 years of being a smog inspector you never saw a vented catch can come in, that's impressively exceptional if the shop was in metro LA. If the shop was in the boonies I can understand.

The question may have come up before, but unless one is moving in from out of state or tagged by enforcement like myself their car most like hasn’t had to be inspected. So there a few samples, let alone with catch cans.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I never said I never failed a car with a catch can on it.
I just never failed the car for the catch can itself.
A ventilated catch can would be a failure of the PCV system.

This is from the Smog Check Manual:

"If a vehicle is equipped with parts that modify the original emission control configuration, inspectors must verify whether those parts are CARB approved or exempted. If the installed parts are not CARB approved or exempted, and the original emissions control configuration has been modified, the corresponding emission controls are considered “Modified” and the vehicle shall fail the inspection. For more information regarding verification of aftermarket parts, see Appendix C.

Not all aftermarket parts modify the original emission control configuration, and therefore do not require CARB approval. For more information, see the “Aftermarket Parts Verification Guidelines”, located in Appendix C."

The KEY words here are "CARB approved" or "EXEMPTED".

To the point of this discussion, the intercooler and oil separator (catch can) are exempted.

Please understand that the smog check laws affect the tester as well as the tested.
If an inspector fails a car incorrectly, the inspector can be held responsible.
This can result in fines or loss of license.

I am not tiring to perpetuate this argument, I am just pointing out that this is how I had to follow the rules.
I was tested all the time, by the BAR and if I did not do it correctly, I could have lost my license and therefore, my job.
I also had customers file complaints with the BAR that they were failed incorrectly, fortunately I was never found guilty.

BTW: I also tested many cars coming in from other states, and many were pissed because their cars failed, as their old state did not have a visual inspection.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
@ koozy has brought up very good points and to that I do agree.
Any modifications could raise questions and a Smog Check Inspector could fail your car.
The point I have been tiring to make is that the consumer has rights too.

The enforcement agency for Smog Check is the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) however, the second half of their name is the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA).

I did email the BAR/DCA and asked the question.
The only issue is that I was referring to the Smog Check Reference Guide, (appendix G) and he is referring to the Smog Check Manual (appendix C).
Both of these are the SAME chart as was posted on the first page of this thread.
You will also see that it is hard to get the correct answer unless you force them to look it up, I have had this problem before as well.

The last response is the important one and what I have been saying.

Here are the emails:

Sent: Friday, January 25, 2019 9:25 PM
To: Bareditor@DCA <bareditor@dca.ca.gov>
Subject: OIL Catch Can

I am a private citizen and just want clarification.
Is it legal to install an after market oil separator (catch can) inline with the PCV system on a 2014 turbocharged vehicle, maintaining the closed PVC system?
Thank you,
Dave Lefevre

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 8:05 AM
To: Dave Lefevre <D1JL@xxxxxxxxxxxx.com>
Subject: RE: OIL Catch Can

Good Morning,
If the add on accessory has an Executive Order number then it should be ok. If not, it may fail a smog check for “Modified”.
Bar Editor

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 8:10 AM
To: Bareditor@DCA <bareditor@dca.ca.gov>

Thank you for your response.
However, in the Smog Check Reference Guide, appendix G says that Oil Separators do not require an Executive Order Number.
So I am confused.
Dave Lefevre

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 8:45 AM
To: Dave Lefevre <d1jl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com>

Dave,
Appendix G deals with Catalytic Converters, but appendix C does state that an oil separator/filter is exempted from an EO number. Be prepared that if not installed correctly, it may fail for visual.
Bar Editor

I hope this clears things up.

Dave

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So the question becomes what is a properly installed vs not properly installed? Thats a very grey area on their part. It leaves it up to the smog tech for decision and if he is an ass like some of the BAR refs as well you are screwed.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
Be advised that if your car fails smog it will be on record permanently in it's historical data. I know this because my e28 has failed several times and it's recorded. This is important because if an owner who is trying to sell or a buyer who is trying to buy a car information like this can hurt negations $$$ and cause suspicions as to what was done (modifications) to the car to fail. I don't care because I don't plan on selling my e28.

At the end of the day know your mods done to the car, the law, and don't be surprised if you get tagged. Keep it simple by keeping in mind no modifications between intake and CAT can prevent some grief. If you chose to roll the dice, don't cry if your car fails.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
So the question becomes what is a properly installed vs not properly installed? Thats a very grey area on their part. It leaves it up to the smog tech for decision and if he is an ass like some of the BAR refs as well you are screwed.
This is very true however, Smog Inspectors don't normally fail cars just because they don't like you.
They have been found to fail cars to get repair work.
This is why the "Test Only" station program was started.
If you take your car to a Test Only station that offers "Pass or Free Retest" there is no reason to fail your car as they would just have to test it again at no charge.

As it pertains to the Catch Can, as we are discussing here, the can is just an oil trap and is installed inline with the normal existing PCV system.
However, adding a vent or check valve would then modify the PCV system.

I stated before that Smog Check Stations and Inspectors are also tested and the fines are serious.
If you suspect that you were wrongly failed on a smog test, file a complaint with the BAR/DCA, they MUST investigate.

Dave