Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coolant loss with Silicone radiator hoses

I was unable to find any reference on the site to this data, so I figured I'd add it. Those of us with silicone radiator hoses need to be aware that those hoses are 15-20 times more permeable to water than epdm (rubber) radiator hoses. A study done by Gates in heavy equipment found that an average epdm hose equipped truck would lose 1 qt of water per year through the pores in the hoses. The same equipment with silicone hoses would lose 20 quarts of water in the same timeframe. Only water is lost, the glycol remains in the system. If one were to top up with coolant or 50/50 mix, it will disturb the ratio and will end up with more glycol than water in the system.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I think it depends on the brand of hoses to a certain extent. When I installed HPS silicone hoses on my previous car, I could smell the coolant from day 1; I was worried I had a leak, but it was just the hoses "sweating". However, I have not noticed the smell of coolant with the Samco/Mountune hoses.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I think it depends on the brand of hoses to a certain extent. When I installed HPS silicone hoses on my previous car, I could smell the coolant from day 1; I was worried I had a leak, but it was just the hoses "sweating". However, I have not noticed the smell of coolant with the Samco/Mountune hoses.
this is correct - many complaints from a certain brand
not a single reported issue with our 5 later and lined high quality silicone hoses