Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking to run 245/40/17 on 17x8 +40

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #3
I’m considering a 16x7 with 215/45-16 as well. I’d really like to see an aggressive fitment on stock suspension. I really don’t push the car very hard, usually btw 1-4 gear in straights. Hoping to do the whoosh hybrid soon. I’ll take a bit more grip if I can.

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #5
lol well I guess I get the wheels I want and if the tires are too much, just drop down a hair to a 235/40

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Check out the konig dekagram thread, you will see some good infos on rubbing. I think anything more than 215/40 or 205/45 will have issues.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
neither 245/40-17 nor 235/40-17 will fit without a lift and major trimming of the fender liners

CSM

1000 Post Club
yeah, you're not gonna get those size tires without a ton of work on this car.

If it was me I'd get the 16x8 Konig Dekagrams, pair them with 225/45/16 Dunlop Direzza ZIII and call it a day

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #10
yeah, you're not gonna get those size tires without a ton of work on this car.

If it was me I'd get the 16x8 Konig Dekagrams, pair them with 225/45/16 Dunlop Direzza ZIII and call it a day
I swear I thought I saw a guy with 235/40 on 17x8 stock susp but I can’t find it now.

Hindsight, I see that the 245/40 is just way too much.

I may look into the 16x8 Dekas or a 16x7 RPF.

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #11
It’s just too much. I like the Dekas but im not a fan of black on black. I was really wanting to do some white Rota Grids. Not sure if I will persue them or not.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
It’s just too much. I like the Dekas but im not a fan of black on black. I was really wanting to do some white Rota Grids. Not sure if I will persue them or not.
Yeah, not a fan of black wheels in general myself, but being satin (semi-matte) helps a lot. If they were gloss, I would NEVER go near them. And on magnetic grey they look decent, but on a black car it would way too much. The murdered out look is definitely played out and not my taste.

The thing with the dekas is their near perfect specs for our car. 16x8 with a +40 offset and 14.6 lbs!! It doesn't get much better than that.

If had to make the perfect wheel, I would say 16x7.5 and maybe a +42 offset to keep geometries closer to stock. My only concern with the Deka is tire stretch, but the bfg looks to run wide.

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #13
If I went RPF1 with a 215/45-16 Falken, I’d probably be happy.

The 16x8 looks good, and the bronze is an option but when I have the bread, I’m not gonna any to wait 4 months for my wheels.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
If I went RPF1 with a 215/45-16 Falken, I’d probably be happy.

The 16x8 looks good, and the bronze is an option but when I have the bread, I’m not gonna any to wait 4 months for my wheels.
Yeah, true that!
My friend ordered the bronze hypergrams for his WRX. They are also on a 2 month ship time out of China. He's anxious as hell to get them. Maybe they have a global shortage on bronze paint. So odd.

The RPF1 don't do it for me looks-wise. I don't think they work with the FiST at all! They look decent on Miatas and some wrx tho, but not on our car. The spoke design makes them look smaller than they are, whereas the Deka has the opposite effect, they look bigger than they are.

And for performance I would rather have 8 inch wide than 7. Pulling on the sidewall a bit keeps the steering sharper without sacrificing right quality all that much.

Most importantly, the Deka is $50 cheaper per wheel.

Caveat:
The RPF1 has a one pound weight advantage and being made in Japan means that they probably have better build quality.
I had to send one of my Deka wheels back due to some paint imperfections. Nothing visible but still annoying enough. Summit Racing was cool about it, they sent me a replacement within two days and a free shipping label to send the other one out.

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #16
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Simply compare OEM to what it is that you want.

I'm on my Winter setup now. (see below)
Yeah a 245/40 isn’t far from a 215/45-17 on their respective widths, but I think it’s just gonna be too much without some type of modification. I’m ruling it out

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #17
Yeah, true that!
My friend ordered the bronze hypergrams for his WRX. They are also on a 2 month ship time out of China. He's anxious as hell to get them. Maybe they have a global shortage on bronze paint. So odd.

The RPF1 don't do it for me looks-wise. I don't think they work with the FiST at all! They look decent on Miatas and some wrx tho, but not on our car. The spoke design makes them look smaller than they are, whereas the Deka has the opposite effect, they look bigger than they are.

And for performance I would rather have 8 inch wide than 7. Pulling on the sidewall a bit keeps the steering sharper without sacrificing right quality all that much.

Most importantly, the Deka is $50 cheaper per wheel.

Caveat:
The RPF1 has a one pound weight advantage and being made in Japan means that they probably have better build quality.
I had to send one of my Deka wheels back due to some paint imperfections. Nothing visible but still annoying enough. Summit Racing was cool about it, they sent me a replacement within two days and a free shipping label to send the other one out.
Another good about the Enkei is they have been in production for so freaking long, I don’t see that stopping. The Dekas May cease in a few years when this car fizzles, not because of the community but the cease in production.

I really like slipstreams and had a black set of 16x7 +40 with the RT615’s in 215/45.

I agree with the turn in performance, but I don’t drive the car that way. It’s an A to B that I rip a few gears in. I haven’t pushed this car thru corners in the two years I’ve owned it, but I have let her breathe thru some big sweeping stretches, nothing tight and technical.

I will be going hybrid turbo hopefully this summer. I really want that extra power on the interstate.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Funny - that's precisely the setups I have been considering.

I am on BC-2 coilovers and running 16x7 ET40 mm over Wilwood BBKs. The tire size is 215/40-16. And, the car is lowered 1". No problems.

Now, for track , I use Enkei RPF1s - same size/offset. They require an 8mm spacer upfront but clear the rear WW calipers without a spacer.
I run Toyo Proxes sized 225/40-16, and they barely fit. In fact, I had to roll the fenders (even though there's not much to roll) and clip the brackets where the front fender attaches to the frame in the wheel well. Under severe compression (and BCs are on their hardest setting) there's still some contact of the sidewall, but at least it's not shredding the tire into spaghetti strings. Rear - no problem.

My current plan is to switch to 235 or 245s on a 17x9 rim. But, for that I will need to put flares and CUT the fenders (have ordered the M2 kit, so waiting on when/if it shows up...). 235s will work, 245s are a maybe.

Given that M2s only give about 1" of extra space, the offset is going to be critical. I have played with the calculator referenced above, and it looks like ET30 is the sweet spot, but I may have to play with spacers. It doesn't look like the increase in diameter would be an issue on the top (but may need to recalibrate the speedo).

(I have a separate thread going on this).

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Another good about the Enkei is they have been in production for so freaking long, I don’t see that stopping. The Dekas May cease in a few years when this car fizzles, not because of the community but the cease in production.

I really like slipstreams and had a black set of 16x7 +40 with the RT615’s in 215/45.

I agree with the turn in performance, but I don’t drive the car that way. It’s an A to B that I rip a few gears in. I haven’t pushed this car thru corners in the two years I’ve owned it, but I have let her breathe thru some big sweeping stretches, nothing tight and technical.

I will be going hybrid turbo hopefully this summer. I really want that extra power on the interstate.
The RFP1 in our bolt pattern is a one off. I highly doubt they will keep making them. My guess is that whatever OAKOS has left in stock is about it.
Any wheel in our bolt pattern runs the risk of extinction. I bought 5 dekas as a "just in case".

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
The RFP1 in our bolt pattern is a one off. I highly doubt they will keep making them. My guess is that whatever OAKOS has left in stock is about it.
Any wheel in our bolt pattern runs the risk of extinction. I bought 5 dekas as a "just in case".
Converted to 4x100. Easy living.