Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lets talk aftermarket shift knobs...

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Here is my setup. Vms lockout adapter, twm extender and cobb sti knob. Don't mind the orange boot, was cheap and it's going in the trash, I'm not happy with it. Just too damn cold to do anything about it right now.

https://imgur.com/a/dSzrEgj
It's a dumb question, I know: how does this work if to disable the lockout you have to pull UP on it, pushing it inside the hollowed space in the bottom of the knob?

This adapter allows you to push DOWN, like in a GTI?

DangerMouse

It's a dumb question, I know: how does this work if to disable the lockout you have to pull UP on it, pushing it inside the hollowed space in the bottom of the knob?

This adapter allows you to push DOWN, like in a GTI?
It's not disabled. You still pull up, I just put my thumb on the top edge of the lockout adapter rather than on top of the knob to get in reverse. Super easy. Some are scared of extenders cause they think it makes it hard to get into reverse but it's the same. No difference.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
That's what perplexing to me. I currently can comfortably slide my fingers underneath the adapter and pull up on it. With this extension I can'f figure out how this works - because I don't see any "ring" or anything to grab on to to pull up - other than the base of the adapter, which is "all the way down". Must be missing something here... [dunno]

DangerMouse

That's what perplexing to me. I currently can comfortably slide my fingers underneath the adapter and pull up on it. With this extension I can'f figure out how this works - because I don't see any "ring" or anything to grab on to to pull up - other than the base of the adapter, which is "all the way down". Must be missing something here... [dunno]
It's probably the angle and my poor picture skills. You still pull up on the oem reverse lockout, it slides up into the vms adapter, rather than a knob. Here is a closer pic, zoom in and you can get a better look.

https://imgur.com/a/3dsKNth

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
It's probably the angle and my poor picture skills. You still pull up on the oem reverse lockout, it slides up into the vms adapter, rather than a knob. Here is a closer pic, zoom in and you can get a better look.

https://imgur.com/a/3dsKNth
Thanks! That's what I suspected - so, you need to move your hand off the knob down to the adapter and that's awkward, I expect - less purchase on the stick and less leverage. Not an arm wrestling match - but ergonomics of this look unappealing to me.

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Thanks! That's what I suspected - so, you need to move your hand off the knob down to the adapter and that's awkward, I expect - less purchase on the stick and less leverage. Not an arm wrestling match - but ergonomics of this look unappealing to me.
Yeah, im dealing with having the reverse lockout much further from the top of the shift knob.

Its not really a big issue. I just reach down and pull up when i need to, which is not that often.

FWIW, the shifting action with such a tall knob is pretty easy (leverage) but the throws become long... feels like im shifting a bus.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

DangerMouse

It slides right into reverse no issues. This solved a problem for me where otherwise I may have not bought the car. I was reaching down too far to shift and my arm was super uncomfortable on the arm rest, or rather banging into the arm rest. The extender is much more ergonomic for me and makes things much more comfortable.

I do have a mountune quick shift and using the extender without it was ridiculous, like driving a semi truck. Like I said not for everyone but if you are having issues getting comfortable in the car, maybe try one.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, understood. I am staying with the stock length. Tall shifter renders my installation of the short-throw bits moot.
It starts to become a contest between the time it takes to reach for a lower shift lever, and the longer time (due to the longer throw) needed to shift a longer lever. [:(]

Since my factory interior shifter, with the Mountune 30% reduction, under hood shift 'plate' feels GREAT with the Ford Performance 'carbon' shift knob, I do not even feel like experimenting with lever extensions. ;)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It starts to become a contest between the time it takes to reach for a lower shift lever, and the longer time (due to the longer throw) needed to shift a longer lever. [:(]

Since my factory interior shifter, with the Mountune 30% reduction, under hood shift 'plate' feels GREAT with the Ford Performance 'carbon' shift knob, I do not even feel like experimenting with lever extensions. ;)
Had one extension....sold it...it felt like it extended the throw out of this world...liked the feel of the stock shaft with a boomba knob and mountune shift adapter @30%.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club

It's a bingo! (C)

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
It slides right into reverse no issues. This solved a problem for me where otherwise I may have not bought the car. I was reaching down too far to shift and my arm was super uncomfortable on the arm rest, or rather banging into the arm rest. The extender is much more ergonomic for me and makes things much more comfortable.

I do have a mountune quick shift and using the extender without it was ridiculous, like driving a semi truck. Like I said not for everyone but if you are having issues getting comfortable in the car, maybe try one.
Yup. With my tall ass shift knob i can rest my elbow on the center cubby and even clears a large drink in the cupholder. Definitely makes the drive a bit more "relaxed" versus driving and reaching down with a short knob.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Used a Ford Accessories Focus ST illuminated knob that I got from eBay. Works great with reverse lockout (only on the shorter boomba lever. Perfect height/weight and feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cxwrench

Replaced my Cobb know w/ the delrin/aluminum Whoosh knob today. Feels great, it's slightly smaller than the Cobb. I got the rear window vent things too but it was raining on and off all day so no photos yet.

I got this one from eBay its from a Euro spec ST. Its wayyy lighter then the OEM knob but love the stitching, leather, and shift pattern with the ST logo.

View attachment 16945

That's like the 1 that I found in Lithuania and it's finally made it to the states after traveling across country last week. Just checked and it's in Atlanta so hopefully I"ll have mine in the next day or 2.