Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poll: CD Player - ever use it ?

Do you use the in-dash disc player ?

• Total voters

AzNightmare

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...nials-fuel-renewed-interest-in-vinyl-records/

People still profit from vinyl records.

People still use and are down right passionate about records and tapes, doesn't mean we should be forced into paying for them to be placed in *new* modern day vehicles. I just gave away a Minidisc deck this past Sunday.

It takes less than ten minutes to convert an 50 minute CD. Let go...

I think it's just thrown in there for legacy support. I don't think removing the cd player would lower the MSRP of vehicles much... but maybe I'm wrong. Not sure how much vehicle pricing reflects from a cd player since they are so cheap to begin with.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #62
I think it's just thrown in there for legacy support. I don't think removing the cd player would lower the MSRP of vehicles much... but maybe I'm wrong. Not sure how much vehicle pricing reflects from a cd player since they are so cheap to begin with.
So... removing the CD player would lower the MSRP.

Take that $50 CD player and put it toward something more widely used, for one example digital reading for oil and coolant temp or another example, a button for interior lights, higher specs on the sound system, etc.

AzNightmare

So... removing the CD player would lower the MSRP.

Take that $50 CD player and put it toward something more widely used, for one example digital reading for oil and coolant temp or another example, a button for interior lights, higher specs on the sound system, etc.
You should understand what strawman means before you go around throwing memes:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...nials-fuel-renewed-interest-in-vinyl-records/

People still use and are down right passionate about records and tapes, doesn't mean we should be forced into paying for them to be placed in *new* modern day vehicles. I just gave away a Minidisc deck this past Sunday.

Did you not basically imply that we are paying for them and that the removal of it would actually lower the MSRP?

Oh well, I tried to be nicer in my last post. Sounds like you're just gonna kick and whine forever. Perhaps you need to be less naive and let it go.

The CD player is being thrown in just so there's less angry people, because angry people means less sales. Ford can give a rats ass about a cheap CD player. They're not going to be readjust the cost just because they decided not to throw in something next to free. Legacy support, like almost every other car in the industry, get it through your thick head.

It's been entertaining, but I'm done talking to a wall.

Cheers. [wink]

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #64
Here's the difference between what you did and what I did.

* Provided an analogy - adding a CD Player to me is like someone announcing that someone add a MiniDisc, Tape or Record Player to you.

You wouldn't like that would you? You'd be like, "well who uses that?".

You on the otherhand, place some absolutely ridiculous notion that removing the CD Player would lower MSRP ?

$50 represents 0.0025% of MSRP. You're not stupid, you know that.

Who said that ? Who implied that it was an exorbitant cost ? *YOU* did.

Get it ?

Again, take that $50 CD player and put it toward something more widely used, for one example digital reading for oil and coolant temp or another example, a button for interior lights, higher specs on the sound system, etc.

neeqness

1000 Post Club

Records are not sold in common stores worldwide. Last I checked, records were a specialty item and most of the stores I know that sell them are only selling "used" records. New cds on the otherhand are being made and sold in stores worldwide (target, walmart, frys, etc.). That is a big difference. Like I said before, one shouldn't have to wait to play them.

Not everyone wants to take the time to rip a cd everytime we play music. Besides let's be realistic here, if you rip a cd, you might as well make a playlist out of it because chances are some songs you like and some you don't. You really won't know which until you listen to it. Again, why should I have to wait to do that. I used to do it but it takes too much time. I save my ripping for special mixes. Otherwise I'd rather just play the cd as is. I doubt I'm the only one.

The radio outdates all of these mediums by far. Using your reasoning, I suppose we should take that out too and save more money? But it's nice having options...I think you are just being selfish here because this option doesn't work for you. I like having the option of being able to use bluetooth, the radio, cd, or simply the line in and I've used all of them. I never use the usb, but that doesn't mean that I should assume that it is useless...

Sent using Tapatalk

Great respect for bringing up the subject and choosing the moral path.

As far as I'm aware it's not illegal to make a digital "backup" copy for your own personal use; broadcast media being a possible exception. Legality only becomes an issue when those without explicitly stated rights or permissions, sell or share.

Never figured out why people insist on calling it "piracy" when that is actually digital theft. For instance, when the property is intellectual they call it "intellectual theft". Never recall hearing the phrase, "intellectual piracy".

Any Microsoft computer that has Windows Media Player on it, will allow you to convert your CDs to MP3 or WMA. They label it "rip" for some strange reason. Apple computers that come with iTune will allow the same; saving as AAC file format. Your car player can read the AAC format.
for me its all about lazy. I work in IT (Infrastructure and Security VP) but spent many years on desktop and network support. when I get home, I dont touch "computers".

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #67
Records are not sold in common stores worldwide. Last I checked, records were a specialty item and most of the stores I know that sell them are only selling "used" records. New cds on the otherhand are being made and sold in stores worldwide (target, walmart, frys, etc.). That is a big difference. Like I said before, one shouldn't have to wait to play them.

Not everyone wants to take the time to rip a cd everytime we play music. Besides let's be realistic here, if you rip a cd, you might as well make a playlist out of it because chances are some songs you like and some you don't. You really won't know which until you listen to it. Again, why should I have to wait to do that. I used to do it but it takes too much time. I save my ripping for special mixes. Otherwise I'd rather just play the cd as is. I doubt I'm the only one.

The radio outdates all of these mediums by far. Using your reasoning, I suppose we should take that out too and save more money? But it's nice having options...I think you are just being selfish here because this option doesn't work for you. I like having the option of being able to use bluetooth, the radio, cd, or simply the line in and I've used all of them. I never use the usb, but that doesn't mean that I should assume that it is useless...

Sent using Tapatalk
When you convert a CD, it's just a one time thing. You can then chuck that CD, as I later did when I realized that I hadn't touched them in several years. Personally I've never bothered with a playlist; I just skip the songs I don't want to hear as I come across them.

You're of course right that records aren't available at the average big store store that sells "Compact" Disc. As far as my reasoning, many people, not including myself, use radio. It's funding is 100% advertising slot based.

I like to think of it as being reasonable and pragmatic, vs selfish. The polling supports the fact that the technology wouldn't be missed if it were removed.

If they continue to wait too much longer, the average person won't have computer left, that has a built in disc player to even use for the quick and easy conversion. They'll have to buy a USB disc player for the purpose.

Did you know that WMP can be configured to automatically "Rip" on disc insertion ?
http://www.dummies.com/computers/op...st-the-windows-media-player-ripping-settings/
EDIT: The name of the website was *NOT* meant as any sort of an implication. Affiliated or not, their books often have simple, clear step-by-step instructions for things.

for me its all about lazy. I work in IT (Infrastructure and Security VP) but spent many years on desktop and network support. when I get home, I dont touch "computers".
LoL I can relate. Let your kids do it as a birthday gift. Even though it's not nearly as easy, (have to record at-speed, manually name and divide tracks) managed to do all of may Parents' record collection. Unfortunately I never did finish their singles collection though. Too danged many of them; the records took long enough.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
When you convert a CD, it's just a one time thing. You can then chuck that CD, as I later did when I realized that I hadn't touched them in several years. Personally I've never bothered with a playlist; I just skip the songs I don't want to hear as I come across them.

You're of course right that records aren't available at the average big store store that sells "Compact" Disc. As far as my reasoning, many people, not including myself, use radio. It's funding is 100% advertising slot based.

I like to think of it as being reasonable and pragmatic, vs selfish. The polling supports the fact that the technology wouldn't be missed if it were removed.

If they continue to wait too much longer, the average person won't have computer left, that has a built in disc player to even use for the quick and easy conversion. They'll have to buy a USB disc player for the purpose.

Did you know that WMP can be configured to automatically "Rip" on disc insertion ?
http://www.dummies.com/computers/op...st-the-windows-media-player-ripping-settings/
EDIT: The name of the website was *NOT* meant as any sort of an implication. Affiliated or not, their books often have simple, clear step-by-step instructions for things.

LoL I can relate. Let your kids do it as a birthday gift. Even though it's not nearly as easy, (have to record at-speed, manually name and divide tracks) managed to do all of may Parents' record collection. Unfortunately I never did finish their singles collection though. Too danged many of them; the records took long enough.
I disagree. Big stores make bad warehouses. If they weren't selling cds they wouldn't be stocking them. There are even electronic stores selling cds right next to the dvds. The cds are being sold...they definitely still hold a viable part of the market. This doesn't even count the ones being sold online still...

Sent using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
No doubt it's a dying technology, but still viable so I think their inclusion of it is justified.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #71
So on that logic, why not include a $3 interior light switch ? So far as I know, none of us have installed an interior light switch.

If the CD player were removed, it would be unlikely that any of us would install a CD Player.

Those that want all interior lights activated, will crack open a door. (TIP: unlock the doors right before deactivating the engine)

Those that want to play a CD, will copy it to a flash drive. (moving to digital purchasing is not required but possible)

It doesn't make much sense that they'd choose to save $3 on an interior light switch, but choose to spend exponentially more on a CD Player when both convenience features have "viable," nearly universally accessible alternatives.

Everyone would agree that USB can be much more convenient for in-car use, as well as better for the environment.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
You're assuming everyone is like you with the same desires and wants, but they aren't. It's easier to just play a cd when you want than to go burning a cd everytime for every mp3 you want to play. Some of us are just lazy (me included) though I admit that even I rarely use my cd player. I just understand why other people still would consider it useful.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #73
Most of the people who have responded to this poll disagree with you. Who's assuming ?

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Most of the people who have responded to this poll disagree with you. Who's assuming ?
You seem to be offended. I apologize if I offended you, that is not my intention.

I actually agree with most of everything you said. I agreed with you that the cd technology is old. I even admitted to rarely using it myself. The only thing I disagreed with you on is whether the manufacturer's decision to include it is justified.

My reasoning is that new cds for new music (not just old music) are still being bought and sold at high enough numbers at large retailers to be available on the market. Also that a number of those people buying these cds may wish to have the option to use the cd player rather than have to burn their cds to use them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to feel that none of these people would want to use the cd player and the player is obsolete because there are other more preferrable methods available.

If this is so that's fine. It's ok to disagree. Let's just agree to disagree. I have no issues with you personally. [emoji106] [emoji4]

Sent using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I realize that I'm in the vast minority on here for even using the CD player at all, and I do NOT want to get into a shitstorm argument about compression, sound quality, yada yada, etc., etc.

But, of those few who do use it (or don't, but know the answer to this), IS there a track 'repeat' function that when set/pushed, will loop a track perpetually? [???:)]
I could not find anything in the manual about this function, but then I AM getting old, so maybe I missed it. ;)

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #76
No worries. Comment freely. I know there's a track/album repeat for MP3/WMA/MP4, I'd be surprised if that were disabled for CD. It's a little criss-cross symbol that turns into an oval when touched; cycles through all the modes when touched. Obviously I've never used it, so can't really answer the question. Mr. [MENTION=4988]neeqness[/MENTION] may know for sure...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No worries. Comment freely. I know there's a track/album repeat for MP3/WMA/MP4, I'd be surprised if that were disabled for CD. It's a little criss-cross symbol that turns into an oval when touched; cycles through all the modes when touched. Obviously I've never used it, so can't really answer the question. Mr. [MENTION=4988]neeqness[/MENTION] may know for sure...
Thanks! [thumb]

Just found a box of cassettes from 20+ years back at my parentโ€™s house....

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I realize that I'm in the vast minority on here for even using the CD player at all, and I do NOT want to get into a shitstorm argument about compression, sound quality, yada yada, etc., etc.

But, of those few who do use it (or don't, but know the answer to this), IS there a track 'repeat' function that when set/pushed, will loop a track perpetually? [???:)]
I could not find anything in the manual about this function, but then I AM getting old, so maybe I missed it. ;)
Unfortunately, no. In my experience, I've only been able to get it to repeat the whole cd. If you figure out a way for it to repeat tracks, please let me know...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The CD player offers the highest quality signal in our stock system. USB/MP3 is ok for background noise. Music enjoyment.....CD Player. Bump and Thump fans are happy with MP3, I am not. So we have an all purpose system!