Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How early is too early for big turbo?

Someone tell me I am crazy for considering going hybrid/BT with only 500 miles on the car. Anyone out there that has gone with a turbo upgrade that early without issue?

Someone tell me I am crazy for considering going hybrid/BT with only 500 miles on the car. Anyone out there that has gone with a turbo upgrade that early without issue?
...and I thought I was early for tearing into her at 11k! I am curious to see what the verdict here is too!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
I love this car but coming from a modded Fost I am itching to get more power. She is already tuned with an upgraded FMIC but I am craving some more.

Have you already added all the supporting modifications? Turbo-Back Exhaust, intake, etc? And what about dialing in the chassis, suspension, tires, brakes?

I love this car but coming from a modded Fost I am itching to get more power. She is already tuned with an upgraded FMIC but I am craving some more.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Unpopular but here’s my thought... if your car has 500 miles and you already want more power then you bought the wrong car. You’re throwing away 98.71% if your warranty too, you only enjoyed it for 500 miles. If you wanted a faster car for the same price with no warranty there are plenty of other options

In my humble opinion the finer things in life are much more enjoyed and appreciated when they are taken in moderate doses.

I wouldnt throw a new turbo on it without being done with the break in period yet. Thats just me. I waited until 1000 miles before i opened it up, and I also got the mod itch. It doesnt at all mean that you bought the wrong car as some people state [confuse]. I bought this thing to mod it and have fun with it. People dont always understand that. However if you are looking to go big turbo, figure out what kind of power you want and where you want it. Do your research first as not all turbos will work with bolt ons that are added before hand and as we all know they dont all spool the same. Example, hybrid with stock mounting position vs a legitimate bigger turbo where its all different. Hot side charge pipes and downpipes are the the main mating issues.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I wouldnt throw a new turbo on it without being done with the break in period yet. Thats just me. I waited until 1000 miles before i opened it up, and I also got the mod itch. It doesnt at all mean that you bought the wrong car as some people state [confuse]. I bought this thing to mod it and have fun with it. People dont always understand that. However if you are looking to go big turbo, figure out what kind of power you want and where you want it. Do your research first as not all turbos will work with bolt ons that are added before hand and as we all know they dont all spool the same. Example, hybrid with stock mounting position vs a legitimate bigger turbo where its all different. Hot side charge pipes and downpipes are the the main mating issues.
I completely agree about intentions to mod, I bought my car with future plans in mind but it took me two years till I swapped turbos. In those two years I did about 15 different tunes and lots of hardware but nothing I couldn’t easily remove if I had a warranty issue. At about yhe 2.5 year mark when my warranty was nearly out I upgraded my turbo.

My point is the warranty...the reason most people buy a new car is very much about the warranty....to void it immediately isn’t very intelligent in my opinion. Like I said if you’re throwing the warranty away and swapping your turbo you could instead find plenty of Fiesta STs all day long with 30k and no warranty for $12000 rather than paying $22000 for a new one and still having no warranty because you voided it.

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
Thanks all for the responses. As far as supporting mods, I currently have drop in filter, whoosh FMIC, GFB DV+. I would like to keep the stock DP due to yearly inspection/emission test here in PA. Specifically I am looking at the REVO turbo with a goal of 275 whp, nothing too crazy. I have spoken with my tuner and he doesn't think that will be an issue with the stock intake/exhaust setup, especially on e30. My warranty is not a concern, however, I would like to avoid blowing a motor for a little while ;) I know you have to pay to play and I really do love this platform. The car is not my DD and racking up any significant amount of mileage is going to take quite a while.

Sounds like you know what you want. I say go for it! I had an e30 FoST and FBO evo x before my FiST. I too am craving a bigger turbo, I'm just not sure how big yet.

I completely agree about intentions to mod, I bought my car with future plans in mind but it took me two years till I swapped turbos. In those two years I did about 15 different tunes and lots of hardware but nothing I couldn’t easily remove if I had a warranty issue. At about yhe 2.5 year mark when my warranty was nearly out I upgraded my turbo.

My point is the warranty...the reason most people buy a new car is very much about the warranty....to void it immediately isn’t very intelligent in my opinion. Like I said if you’re throwing the warranty away and swapping your turbo you could instead find plenty of Fiesta STs all day long with 30k and no warranty for $12000 rather than paying $22000 for a new one and still having no warranty because you voided it.
Thats fair. Warranty was originally my worry. My situation I threw it away tuning it within 3 months just because in my area people with full on turbo swaps have gotten their stuff fixed at our local dealers. That and if there was a problem I wouldnt be without a vehicle as I have others. My situation definitely may be different than most. I like warranty but thankfully these cars have proven to be pretty solid. Like you said about 2 years before swapping turbos, Im almost at a year and I still havent swapped yet. Im doing all the science-y things, kind of like you. Testing different tunes, and getting dynos of stock vs bolt ons and 91 and now to E30 as not a lot of people have done all of them. Once I can afford to swap then I will. Until then, shes a stock snail.

I would like to keep the stock DP due to yearly inspection/emission test here in PA.
Have you looked into the Whoosh catted DP? I'm not sure how it performs to emissions standards, but it may be an option for improvement that'll still pass the PA testing.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thats fair. Warranty was originally my worry. My situation I threw it away tuning it within 3 months just because in my area people with full on turbo swaps have gotten their stuff fixed at our local dealers. That and if there was a problem I wouldnt be without a vehicle as I have others. My situation definitely may be different than most. I like warranty but thankfully these cars have proven to be pretty solid. Like you said about 2 years before swapping turbos, Im almost at a year and I still havent swapped yet. Im doing all the science-y things, kind of like you. Testing different tunes, and getting dynos of stock vs bolt ons and 91 and now to E30 as not a lot of people have done all of them. Once I can afford to swap then I will. Until then, shes a stock snail.
Yeah I totally trust the motor, it’s not that, I’m just saying that if you’re gonna void the warranty you might as well get a used one with 20 or 30k and pay half the price. It’s about the principle/money, not the reliability of the engine.

He did invite us to tell him if he was crazy....I just don’t like throwing my money away, that’s crazy. If I had planned to mod mine immediately I’d have bought one out of warranty for half the price.

OP
P
Thread Starter #13
Sounds like you know what you want. I say go for it! I had an e30 FoST and FBO evo x before my FiST. I too am craving a bigger turbo, I'm just not sure how big yet.
I had a e30 Fost as well, fully bolted. It was a great car. I think I like the fist better, for aesthetics and for the handling. I am not looking to smoke a hellcat or anything but more consistent pull to redline will be nice. I know these motors are pretty capable, and that several people on here daily with over 300 whp with little or no problems. I am curious if anyone at all has swapped turbos so soon.

OP
P
Thread Starter #14
Yeah I totally trust the motor, it’s not that, I’m just saying that if you’re gonna void the warranty you might as well get a used one with 20 or 30k and pay half the price. It’s about the principle/money, not the reliability of the engine.

He did invite us to tell him if he was crazy....I just don’t like throwing my money away, that’s crazy. If I had planned to mod mine immediately I’d have bought one out of warranty for half the price.
I did indeed and appreciate the honesty. :) I bought new simply because I wanted something that had not been driven to death by anyone else, and frankly the money was not an issue. That is not a boast, I am far from rich, but considering I do plan on keeping this car longer than my average of 2 years I wanted something that was fresh from day one. Just my preference. Otherwise I completely agree with you.

I did indeed and appreciate the honesty. :) I bought new simply because I wanted something that had not been driven to death by anyone else
This. So much this. This is also the reason why I bought mine brand new. And because with the incentives they have been putting out, I could have got a used one with 30k miles for $14k or this brand new one for 17k that hadnt been beaten to hell. Its a bummer they are nuking production, but its making the purchase price fantastic.

OP
P
Thread Starter #16
Have you looked into the Whoosh catted DP? I'm not sure how it performs to emissions standards, but it may be an option for improvement that'll still pass the PA testing.
This is the exact one I would consider if I did go with a new DP. Not sure yet if I can pass emissions with it.

This. So much this. This is also the reason why I bought mine brand new. And because with the incentives they have been putting out, I could have got a used one with 30k miles for $14k or this brand new one for 17k that hadnt been beaten to hell. Its a bummer they are nuking production, but its making the purchase price fantastic.
Yeah, the deals on a leftover 17 were too good to pass up when I bought mine a couple months ago.

Does anyone have e any experience with the whoosh downpipe? I have their intercooler and was stunned by the quality at the price point. How is the DP?

Man, all this talk about "voiding warranty" on every car forum I'm ever a member of drives me crazy.

Look up the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act people!!!

The manufacturer HAS TO PROVE your aftermarket/modified parts caused a part to fail, it's on THEM to prove it. Swapping out a turbo would ONLY void the warranty on the factory turbo, along with any other FACTORY part that was replaced during the swap, unless the dealer/manufacturer can PROVE that the modded part caused other parts to fail.

SEMA has a whole team of lawyers that will help people fight these cases, and they almost ALWAYS win.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Man, all this talk about "voiding warranty" on every car forum I'm ever a member of drives me crazy.

Look up the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act people!!!

The manufacturer HAS TO PROVE your aftermarket/modified parts caused a part to fail, it's on THEM to prove it. Swapping out a turbo would ONLY void the warranty on the factory turbo, along with any other FACTORY part that was replaced during the swap, unless the dealer/manufacturer can PROVE that the modded part caused other parts to fail.

SEMA has a whole team of lawyers that will help people fight these cases, and they almost ALWAYS win.

No no no.

Ford and all the other car people are smart, they specifically state in the manual and online and everywhere that adding aftermarket parts voids your warranty, no proof needed. The disclaimers are everywhere and it protects them and frankly it's smart. Also you will notice pretty much every aftermarket part (Cobb, Mountune, everyone) also tells you in their product description that their parts are only for "track use" and will void warranties.

No no no.

Ford and all the other car people are smart, they specifically state in the manual and online and everywhere that adding aftermarket parts voids your warranty, no proof needed. The disclaimers are everywhere and it protects them and frankly it's smart. Also you will notice pretty much every aftermarket part (Cobb, Mountune, everyone) also tells you in their product description that their parts are only for "track use" and will void warranties.
Dude, I like you, and I like your car, but do some research before spouting nonsense.

The warranty is only, AND CAN ONLY be voided on the part that is being replaced. A manufacturer CANNOT void the ENTIRE WARRANTY on the car because you swapped in an aftermarket exhaust, or lowering springs, or ANY other part. They can't do it!!!