Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swift Spec-R Springs w/ Koni Orange and Powerflex Spring Pad Isolator Brief Review

Hello guys,

Just wanted to give a brief review of running the Swift Spec-R Springs w/ Koni Oranges. I haven't seen many reviews on here yet. A lot of people I know are running Swift with Bilstein B8's or Koni Yellows. I ordered the entire set from Ron's Whoosh Motorsports on Black Friday and got an incredible deal. Just got the springs, shocks, and pads on today and the ride is phenomenal! I am currently running on Konig Dekagram 16x8 with Continental EC Sport 205/45r16. The wheel and tire combo alone got rid of most of the jarring ride quality, but the springs and shocks SEALED the deal.

I was worried that the linear springs would be extremely harsh due to numerous posts that I have read, but I have absolutely no complaints. It's probably due to my shock set up. There was someone on the forum that noted that the ride was harsh on Swift Springs with Bilstein B8's and 15inch Team Dynamics. I find it hard to believe, but to each his own. The springs were designed for stock valving so I wanted to keep the set up close to what it was intended for which is why I decided to go for the Koni Oranges. Not to mention the Konis are cheap cheap! Go check out Whoosh if you are thinking of getting a pair. The ride DOES feel a LITTLE floaty, but she feels as if you are gliding across the road and the bumps are almost nonexistent. The turn response is fantastic. I have a Pierce 6 point brace, trunk brace, and rear torsion bar to go with the springs and shocks. I am not currently running any sway bars except stock front sway. I hear the 2016+ have slightly thicker sway bars (?) I plan on adding the midship brace and strut brace once I finish my hybrid turbo set up (x47r/vt330r/ or Whoosh Hybrid coming soon). I've only put about 30miles highway driving so far, but I will update if anything else comes up noticeable. Overall, I love the set-up and I feel like this is how a daily should drive. I used to cringe every single time I'd hit a bump on my stock set-up with stock 17" wheels. [like]

Will post pics whenever available.

Mike

Last edited:
I like the approach mike!
a few questions....
-which rear beam (wasnt aware of aftermarket options in the us)
-no front sway bar I take it? interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mikenblue
Thread Starter #3
I like the approach mike!
a few questions....
-which rear beam (wasnt aware of aftermarket options in the us)
-no front sway bar I take it? interesting.

Sorry, I didn't mean that I had a Pierce Rear Torsion Beam. I actually got a TB Rear Beam. Here's the link: http://tbperformanceproducts.com/Products.php#!/Torsion-Bar/p/76990988

And yeah no front sway bar. Been trying to do some more research into them. I read people are only using the front sway bar and some swear NOT to use a front sway since its an FWD. Currently, I enjoy the way in rides. Once I drive through the set-up more aggressively, I'll figure if I need to add a set of sways in!

Mike

Hello guys,

Just wanted to give a brief review of running the Swift Spec-R Springs w/ Koni Oranges. I haven't seen many reviews on here yet. A lot of people I know are running Swift with Bilstein B8's or Koni Yellows. I ordered the entire set from Ron's Whoosh Motorsports on Black Friday and got an incredible deal. Just got the springs, shocks, and pads on today and the ride is phenomenal! I am currently running on Konig Dekagram 16x8 with Continental EC Sport 205/45r16. The wheel and tire combo alone got rid of most of the jarring ride quality, but the springs and shocks SEALED the deal.

I was worried that the linear springs would be extremely harsh due to numerous posts that I have read, but I have absolutely no complaints. It's probably due to my shock set up. There was someone on the forum that noted that the ride was harsh on Swift Springs with Bilstein B8's and 15inch Team Dynamics. I find it hard to believe, but to each his own. The springs were designed for stock valving so I wanted to keep the set up close to what it was intended for which is why I decided to go for the Koni Oranges. Not to mention the Konis are cheap cheap! Go check out Whoosh if you are thinking of getting a pair. The ride DOES feel a LITTLE floaty, but she feels as if you are gliding across the road and the bumps are almost nonexistent. The turn response is fantastic. I have a Pierce 6 point brace, trunk brace, and rear torsion bar to go with the springs and shocks. I am not currently running any sway bars. I plan on adding the midship brace and strut brace once I finish my hybrid turbo set up (x47r/vt330r/ or Whoosh Hybrid coming soon). I've only put about 30miles highway driving so far, but I will update if anything else comes up noticeable. Overall, I love the set-up and I feel like this is how a daily should drive. I used to cringe every single time I'd hit a bump on my stock set-up with stock 17" wheels. [like]

Mike
more questions
-what (if any) difference do the spring pads make?
-swift spec-r is linear? didn't know this, haven't researched them

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello guys,

I was worried that the linear springs would be extremely harsh due to numerous posts that I have read, but I have absolutely no complaints. It's probably due to my shock set up. There was someone on the forum that noted that the ride was harsh on Swift Springs with Bilstein B8's and 15inch Team Dynamics. I find it hard to believe, but to each his own. The springs were designed for stock valving so I wanted to keep the set up close to what it was intended for which is why I decided to go for the Koni Oranges. Not to mention the Konis are cheap cheap! Go check out Whoosh if you are thinking of getting a pair. The ride DOES feel a LITTLE floaty, but she feels as if you are gliding across the road and the bumps are almost nonexistent. The turn response is fantastic. I have a Pierce 6 point brace, trunk brace, and rear torsion bar to go with the springs and shocks. I am not currently running any sway bars except stock front sway. I hear the 2016+ have slightly thicker sway bars (?) I plan on adding the midship brace and strut brace once I finish my hybrid turbo set up (x47r/vt330r/ or Whoosh Hybrid coming soon). I've only put about 30miles highway driving so far, but I will update if anything else comes up noticeable. Overall, I love the set-up and I feel like this is how a daily should drive. I used to cringe every single time I'd hit a bump on my stock set-up with stock 17" wheels. [like]

Mike
This is exactly what I wanted to hear....I have the same exact setup awaiting to be installed most likely in the spring. Thanks for the Review!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
mikenblue
Thread Starter #6
more questions
-what (if any) difference do the spring pads make?
-swift spec-r is linear? didn't know this, haven't researched them

I'm not too sure if the spring pads made that much of a difference. I decided to order them just as a nice to have. The stock pads are literally made of foam and I've seen some guys on YouTube that has their's deteriorated. When I pulled mine out they were still "okay" but the polyurethane pads are WAY better quality.

Yes, the Swifts are linear springs.

Mike

OP
mikenblue
Thread Starter #7
This is exactly what I wanted to hear....I have the same exact setup awaiting to be installed most likely in the spring. Thanks for the Review!

Excited to hear what you think! I'm going to take it out on some back roads when I get a chance to push it a bit harder and I'll update! So far it's super comfy ride!

Mike

I have oe rear pads im gonna install. couldnt justify 85 or so for powerflex, though my rear pads are utterly disintegrated after a hard 90k, so might make sense. sorry I missed the part about the sway bar. lol. I have powerflex front control arm, whiteline rear, and sway bar bushings. love em. do you scrape a lot with the 6 pt and lowered springs?

OP
mikenblue
Thread Starter #9
I have oe rear pads im gonna install. couldnt justify 85 or so for powerflex, though my rear pads are utterly disintegrated after a hard 90k, so might make sense. sorry I missed the part about the sway bar. lol. I have powerflex front control arm, whiteline rear, and sway bar bushings. love em. do you scrape a lot with the 6 pt and lowered springs?

So far no scrapes at all! That was my one fear about lowering the car...How are you liking the whiteline rear?

Michael

its great! noticeable effect I assume from the increase in caster. steering is heavier, but helps with feel. that and alexthemachinists steering rack bushings and feel is excellent! even on my 185 winter tires the car feels very stable at speed. curious about running 8" wheels with 205 tires. was this to offset the increase in deflection from increased sidewall aspect ratio? or am I overthinking this lol

I would recommend using a hydraulic press for bushings, but renting auto parts store press with an impact works as well, just way more of a balancing act! sounds like your car is better sorted than mine though.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
its great! noticeable effect I assume from the increase in caster. steering is heavier, but helps with feel. that and alexthemachinists steering rack bushings and feel is excellent! even on my 185 winter tires the car feels very stable at speed. curious about running 8" wheels with 205 tires. was this to offset the increase in deflection from increased sidewall aspect ratio? or am I overthinking this lol

I'd like a pic of the 8" inch wheels!

Last edited:

DangerMouse

I am thinking of going this route as well. I'm tired of waiting for bilstein to get their act together. I refuse to use koni yellows. I have had bad experiences with them blowing out prematurely. Koni actually told me not to adjust them. Leave them on the softest setting and only adjust over time just a little bit to compensate as they age. Forget that noise.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Excited to hear what you think! I'm going to take it out on some back roads when I get a chance to push it a bit harder and I'll update! So far it's super comfy ride!

Mike
Every time I hit a semi large uneven pavement crack here in Mn I shudder......imagine that the roads not getting fixed in Mn! Naw we will just patch them they say and give ourselves a raise! Stupid legistlature! [8]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Every time I hit a semi large uneven pavement crack here in Mn I shudder......imagine that the roads not getting fixed in Mn! Naw we will just patch them they say and give ourselves a raise! Stupid legistlature! [8]
Not to get off topic here but when it's cold the only possible thing you can do is a cold patch which doesn't stick well. The only way to properly fix a road is to grind it down and completely repave it that can only be done under certain temperatures, and you have a very short window in Minnesota for that opportunity. I work in local government I don't do roads but I do know how it works. You want better roads move somewhere where it never snows. My wife is from Syracuse and you have two seasons road work and snow removal I'm sure Minnesota is similar.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not to get off topic here but when it's cold the only possible thing you can do is a cold patch which doesn't stick well. The only way to properly fix a road is to grind it down and completely repave it that can only be done under certain temperatures, and you have a very short window in Minnesota for that opportunity. I work in local government I don't do roads but I do know how it works. You want better roads move somewhere where it never snows. My wife is from Syracuse and you have two seasons road work and snow removal I'm sure Minnesota is similar.

There's tons of 50+ degree weather days in Mn....every time I drive by those Dingle berries "working" on the side of the road....1 is on their cell phone.....2 are looking at one or the others phone laughing....1 is wearing headphones and just standing like a Frozen pile of shit.....another is holding a shovel making a gesture like a Tusken sand raider from star wars.....the next person is directing the guy on the patching machine... then that guy is directing the guy who is actually driving the machine....Then there is pickup trucks behind and in front of the the patcher with 4 guys in each truck....Then there is the guy who is driving the Dumptruck with asphalt in it for the the Paver.....I also am not mentioning the guys who are placing cones in front and back of the paver in a uncoordinated line that looks like someone had bells palsy of the frontal lobe. I too also work for the Govt. But in the transportation sector.....Trains....Buses and light rail. Trust me I know how it works.....they are just worse than us.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
There's tons of 50+ degree weather in Mn....every time I drive by those Dingle berries "working" on the side of the road....1 is on their cell phone.....2 are looking at one or the others phone laughing....1 is wearing headphones and just standing like a Frozen pile of shit.....another is holding a shovel making a gesture like a Tusken sand raider from star wars.....the next person is directing the guy on the patching machine... then that guy is directing the guy who is actually driving the machine....Then there is pickup trucks behind and in front of the the patcher with 4 guys in each truck....Then there is the guy who is driving the Dumptruck with asphalt in it for the the Paver.....I also am not mentioning the guys who are playing cones in front and back of the paver. I too also work for the Govt. But in the transportation sector.....Trains....Buses and light rail. Trust me I know how it works.....they are just worse than us.

Not how it works down here a pothole truck only has 2 guys. Just sounds like poor management.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not how it works down here a pothole truck only has 2 guys. Just sounds like poor management.

No its Thunderdome here in Mn.....I am waiting for my Twisted metal weapons drop to install .50 cal guns on the Fist With the optional Flame thrower that my doggo can operate from his gesturing with his nose on the window to open the window and scold those who drive 40 mph in a 65mph zone in the fast lane. [gunfire]

Here he is ready to go and smoke some fools in his coastguard auxiliary vest!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
No its Thunderdome here in Mn.....I am waiting for my Twisted metal weapons drop to install .50 cal guns on the Fist With the optional Flame thrower that my doggo can operate from his gesturing with his nose on the window to open the window and scold those who drive 40 mph in a 65mph zone in the fast lane. [gunfire]

Here he is ready to go and smoke some fools in his coastguard auxiliary vest!

Nothing worse than somebody who can't even do the darn speed limit.