Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

V_2's ST, the Sequel

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #101
Tldr: Is anyone local to TN interested in buying a DHM crash bar and intercooler?

Dealer tech opinion is somehow my intercooler is pushing the radiator core support back and squishing everything around the front of the engine, causing these problems. I call BS, since that really isn't possible and nothing is rubbing up front, but they are fixing under warranty and only documenting the repair as a warranty repair, so I'm not going to press the issue yet.

That said, I'm putting serious thought into selling my DHM crash bar and intercooler and buying something that fits with the factory bar to make any future warranty fights less of a problem.

koozy

3000 Post Club
eh.. tech is a fool if he really thinks that. And he's the one that's gonna wrench on your car? yikes.
the radiator support is solid once mounted as it becomes part of the front bumper/chassis support, it can't slide back or anywhere. Nobody else with the same bar/intercooler has reported this issue. I can see why you want to sell the bar/intercooler though, to be idiot proof against idiots lol.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #103
Yeah, total BS...but none of that is getting documented so I'm not going to call them out on it. I guess I could swap out the stock intercooler next time something breaks, but my fear is it will happen in the middle of summer when I won't have time to swap out intercoolers, crash bars and grilles before I bring the car back in.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #104
Whoosh intercooler and replacement front upper grille are on their way. I'll probably be swapping parts out this weekend since my AC compressor is still making some nasty noise. If I have time and the weather cooperates I might also do some touch-up work on my TRC front splitter to correct the rock chips caused by daily interstate driving.

Lemme know if you wanna sell the crashbar! i live in Jackson, tn and could drive up there. also if you are looking to sell any other parts i might be interested :D

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #106
Lemme know if you wanna sell the crashbar! i live in Jackson, tn and could drive up there. also if you are looking to sell any other parts i might be interested :D
Welllll... the crash bar and intercooler need to be sold together, but I'll be posting a FS thread once I get the parts swapped out. I'll also be selling a CP-E intake.

Local buyers always have dibs.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welllll... the crash bar and intercooler need to be sold together, but I'll be posting a FS thread once I get the parts swapped out. I'll also be selling a CP-E intake.

Why are you selling the CP-E intake?

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #108
Why are you selling the CP-E intake?
I took it off about 8 months ago when I was troubleshooting my NVH that I eventually traced to the AC compressor, basically removing as many variables as I could. I just never reinstalled it.

You are in luck because I actually want all of those items. Cpe intake is something I've been wanting for a while just didn't wanna pay $450 for it.

I also have a black whoosh intercooler if you haven't already ordered one.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #110
You are in luck because I actually want all of those items. Cpe intake is something I've been wanting for a while just didn't wanna pay $450 for it.

I also have a black whoosh intercooler if you haven't already ordered one.
Well that would have really worked out if I hadn't already ordered the intercooler. But yeah, let's make a deal then. I'll PM you some pics once I get the DHM kit removed.

All replacement parts and the whoosh IC will be here tomorrow and I am hoping to have time after work to do the swap.

Well that would have really worked out if I hadn't already ordered the intercooler. But yeah, let's make a deal then. I'll PM you some pics once I get the DHM kit removed.

All replacement parts and the whoosh IC will be here tomorrow and I am hoping to have time after work to do the swap.
Looking forward to seeing those pictures!

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #112
Well the deed is done. I swapped out the DHM crash bar and intercooler with the Whoosh cooler. It took me about 5 hours in part because I had to remeber where all the stock pieces and bolts went, and swap out grilles.

The Whoosh part looks nice for what it is, and it seems to handle charge temps well enough for now, we will have to see what summer has in store.

I do suspect I have a boost leak somewhere from a possible loose clamp or misadjusted hose. I did a datalog yesterday while I still had the big boy parts installed and was hitting 25.4psi. Today the car is noticeably laggy and struggles to hold 23psi and boost peaks way later in the powerband.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #113
Hmm...the plot thickens. I threw a p061c and p144c code on the way to work this morning.

I guess a boost leak could also cause p144c but I am not familiar with p061c outside of the technical definition I just read. I suppose either way my first step is going to be removing the bumper again to look for any loose/crimped charge and evap hoses, and to see if a sensor might have been disconnected somehow.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #114
Got to meet [MENTION=9276]NexusPaul[/MENTION] and his clean orange spice yesterday. I'm an idiot and didn't take any pics to confirm more than one FiST can exist in the wild together, but it was great to talk to another enthusiast owner, nonetheless.

I did a quick adjustment to my hotside intercooler hose, which did help throttle response a little and I'm holding 24psi now. I'm waiting for all of this rain to pass before I pull the bumper for a more thorough leak test.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #116
I have some data regarding my recent intercooler swap. To nobody's surprise, the DHM intercooler is worlds ahead of the Whoosh counterpart. That said, I am overall satisfied with the Whoosh cooler's performance, only going up 8 degrees F through a full 3rd gear pull. That number is likely to climb somewhat as my tuner applies a revision to hold some more boost higher up in the powerband.

datazap-dhm-psi.png
DHM Intercooler boost curve. Peak was about 25.3psi and at least 25psi was sustained right up until 6200 rpm.

datazap-dhm-temps.png
You know your intercooler is working when charge temp actually goes DOWN during a pull

datazap-whoosh-psi.png
The car is barely pushing 23.5psi with the Whoosh intercooler installed and tapers off faster than the DHM. Some of this hopefully can be addressed with a pending tune revision.

datazap-whoosh-temps.png
Look at those charge temps shoot up toward the end.

vdyno_20190226.jpg
I added this vDyno graph to mostly show comparisons in boost curves. I obviously was not on perfectly level terrain when I did the DHM pull, but you can see where the HP line is trending right before it jumps.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #117
Driving on the interstate this morning and traffic kicked up debris I couldn't avoid.

Right into my front splitter.

It basically shattered into 1,000 pieces on impact and took some of the bumper with it, raining fiberglass on cars behind me.

20190306_121653.jpg
20190306_121732.jpg

Sorry this happened bro! i dont know what it is about Tennessee roads and us avoiding debris all the time.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #120
Ouch! This includes replacing the splitter, which will probably get denied, but maybe the review adjuster is a car person or has a heart!