Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hotchkis swaybars

dmb

I just picked a Hotchkis sway bar 22447r on e-bay for $85.99 from hotchkis garage free shipping they are the same color as my pierce 2 point gray and the best packing i've seen in a long time, they said only 5 more so jump on it if you want one.

koozy

3000 Post Club
thanks for the heads up. Been on my want list for a long time but at this price I had to just get now. Best rear bar IMO and lightest.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
How much more turn-in or wheel tripoding do they provide?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
I like how they really took the time to CNC bend the contours into the design rather that use a straight bar and spacers with some other manufacturers. I like to lift the rear end from the rear beam and a swaybar that hangs lower would be an issue for me, the Hotchkis is bent up and out of the way. Hotchkis also incorporates 3 mounting points per side for a solid connection, while the others use just 2. It's all in the details and quality that went into it. They're also a local SoCal business and well known in the aftermarket suspension biz.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
But functionwise...what will it do?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I just jumped on this too. Thanks for the notice, dmb! It now says more than 10 available, 9 sold?

I would use caution with using a Hotchkis sway bar in a location that has snow. I had one on the rear of my mini cooper and within 5 years the bar rusted all the way through and cracked. For the Mini they were using a hollow bar, not sure if thats the case for the St. The part that bothered me the most was when i contacted them they would not help me out at all and were rather rude. I have been playing with cars for over 30 years and i have never had a sway bar crack.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I’m not worried at this price and not likely to happen, but should there be any issues It comes with a lifetime warranty and they are local to me.

The bars are hollow, that’s a huge reason why I prefer it with it’s lighter weight. Hotchkis has been making hollow bars for more than a decade. They are not the only ones making hollow sways. Anyone concerned with corrosion can take measure by shooting anti corrosion lube, etc. into the bar and cap off the ends with plastic end caps or plugs available at Home Depot. Not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes mine Mini cooper one had a "lifetime warranty" on it as well but they would not honor it.
I do not think i could buy from them again. By bar rusted badly at 4 years and cracked at 5. Basically twisting itself apart.

OP
D

dmb

Thread Starter #13
Yes mine Mini cooper one had a "lifetime warranty" on it as well but they would not honor it.
I do not think i could buy from them again. By bar rusted badly at 4 years and cracked at 5. Basically twisting itself apart.
cars can and do rust out too. I think you fall under the negligence part, and why would you leave a rusted out part on your car? For years.

Well in the northeast everything under the car rusts if you run it all year. It develops that nice crispy surface rust that covers most suspension peaces that are not well protected. Negligence for rusted parts under my car? My current 14 ST already has so much surface rust on some of the components it would shock you. But they were designed to last (i hope) only time will tell. I am getting a bit concerned about the crash bar above the intercooler. At this point it looks like a red potato chip its a bit shocking.
I have never had to replace a sway bar due to surface rust. The Hotchkis one on the Mini was the first and i have had many many cars. Its also the first company that gave me a hard time when i tried to put in a warranty claim in. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that lived in a snow belt that this bar may not be the best choice for them.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Every spring I go under mine with some POR-15 (or that type of applicable right over raw, untreated rust, stuff), and paint/coat the rust prone spots after a thorough power washing.
Are the Hotchkis bars powder coated, or just painted? [dunno]

Yes, living in the rust/salt soup belt does have other disadvantages besides getting frostbite, and not being able to wash/wax your ride for 4-5 months of the year, but then we also don't have to worry about the ground shaking out from under us, or splitting and swallowing us up (as long as we can keep fracking from taking a big upturn here). ;)

koozy

3000 Post Club

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I wasn't going to mention the problems I had with Hotchkis suspension parts on my "04 Mini.
I didn't want to be accused of anything, so I won't mention it. LOL
Maybe they are making better parts today.

OP
D

dmb

Thread Starter #19
mine has the end caps. I hope Dave's didn't rust out too, maybe they use salt instead of carbon in U.K. steel and it rust flowed on the SB. LOL

OP
D

dmb

Thread Starter #20
Well in the northeast everything under the car rusts if you run it all year. It develops that nice crispy surface rust that covers most suspension peaces that are not well protected. Negligence for rusted parts under my car? My current 14 ST already has so much surface rust on some of the components it would shock you. But they were designed to last (i hope) only time will tell. I am getting a bit concerned about the crash bar above the intercooler. At this point it looks like a red potato chip its a bit shocking.
I have never had to replace a sway bar due to surface rust. The Hotchkis one on the Mini was the first and i have had many many cars. Its also the first company that gave me a hard time when i tried to put in a warranty claim in. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that lived in a snow belt that this bar may not be the best choice for them.
I think the red potato chip would be the BBQ style