Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbosmart EM BOV's now available for your Fiesta - True plug and play upgrades!

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

Ron,

I also found this Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port:

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...art-bov-kompact-dual-port-ford-fiesta-st-1-6l

It seems that the big difference is the location of the BOV: either at the symposer or replacing the OE diverter valve. My question is, is there a benefit to one over the other? And what is the difference between the Turbosmart EM BOV and the Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port? Is it just an electrically vs mechanically controlled BOV? Any benefits to one over the other? Thanks

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #45
Hi Ron,

What’s the difference between this Turbosmart EM BOV:

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...smart-em-bov-dual-port-v2-fiesta-st-2014-2018

And the Symposer-Port BOV Kit:

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...2017-s-port-blow-off-valve-kit-no-tune-needed

Pros and cons for both? They sounds different as well I think
the EM V2 BOV's are plug and play which means you bolt them on and plug in the connector to your wire harness. The Turbosmart BOV will operate electronically as your OEM bypass valve did but it's but stronger in terms of holding boost and will make some BOV type sounds as well which most owners want

the symposer port BOV which uses the Vee Port BOV, V1 dual port, and V1 plumb back are all vacuum operated BOV's which means you are bypassing the OEM electronics with a custom tune or the CEL defender plug and using a vacuum line that is installed under the map sensor to the new BOV

both work great it's really a matter of choice
I think they all sound very close in terms of sound (comparing v1's to v2's of the same style BOV) but the new EM V2 BOV's are by far the cleanest and easiest to install
It's 3 bolts and 1 click of a connector = done.

redmoe

Couple other pluses for the EM is the fact that you don’t need to adjust it and it is very fast actuation. There have been some threads about having to adjust the vacuum controlled dv/bov to correct flutter.

I installed the EM dual port a week ago and really like it! It feels like the car is more responsive.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #47
Couple other pluses for the EM is the fact that you don’t need to adjust it and it is very fast actuation. There have been some threads about having to adjust the vacuum controlled dv/bov to correct flutter.

I installed the EM dual port a week ago and really like it! It feels like the car is more responsive.
That's a great call out
Forgot to mention that!

No adjustments needed on the EM V2's

All of the vacuum operated V1's and the symposer port BOV's require adjustments to dial in

So I ordered the plumb back V2 EM BOV and installed and now having issues. Under heavy load the BOV works fine, very clean sound. But...trying to drive normal it is annoying. It surges constantly. Light revs, and deacceleration it sounds like a turkey laughing at me. I emailed Turbosmart, told them all of my supporting mods, and this is what they said:

"I had a chat with our engineer about what's happening for you, and we experience the same noise -

We run a tuned Fiesta here as one of our R&D cars, and we have found that there is something in the tune that isn't prompting the ECU to activate the BOV on low / part throttle - I'm not sure what the reason for it is though

The way our EM BOV works is via the solenoid which is activated by the ECU, when activated the piston is all the way open, and when not activated, it is all the way closed, as your valve is activating and working properly at higher load we know for sure that your EM valve is working as it should
"

....So once we have our cars tuned this BOV only works for higher boost levels and the rest of the time (part throttle or deacceleration) will be surging? Kind of defeats the purpose of having an electronic BOV. Any thoughts or help? Is there custom tunes that allow this BOV to work when it should?

So I ordered the plumb back V2 EM BOV and installed and now having issues. Under heavy load the BOV works fine, very clean sound. But...trying to drive normal it is annoying. It surges constantly. Light revs, and deacceleration it sounds like a turkey laughing at me. I emailed Turbosmart, told them all of my supporting mods, and this is what they said:

"I had a chat with our engineer about what's happening for you, and we experience the same noise -

We run a tuned Fiesta here as one of our R&D cars, and we have found that there is something in the tune that isn't prompting the ECU to activate the BOV on low / part throttle - I'm not sure what the reason for it is though

The way our EM BOV works is via the solenoid which is activated by the ECU, when activated the piston is all the way open, and when not activated, it is all the way closed, as your valve is activating and working properly at higher load we know for sure that your EM valve is working as it should
"

....So once we have our cars tuned this BOV only works for higher boost levels and the rest of the time (part throttle or deacceleration) will be surging? Kind of defeats the purpose of having an electronic BOV. Any thoughts or help? Is there custom tunes that allow this BOV to work when it should?
If the tune is causing this then wouldn't it do it with the stock electronic bypass valve as well? [???:)]

redmoe

I have the 50/50 with no flutter/surge. Have you verified the installation? Good tight even seal on the compressor housing? It’s possible an existing issue with the tune may be exasperated by the faster actuation and better boost holding of the EM diverter.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #51

"

what tune are you running ?

felopr

"

my car is tuned and is working correctly, talk to your tuner imo

I am by no means an expert. If you listen to the turbosmart vids on YouTube, all of them regardless of model sound very similar. Mine sounds the same and seems to be working the same as anyone else's. My AP shows boost pressure being expelled when I let off, regardless of high/low boost. I've never watched the wastegate duty cycle. But I am concerned if a problem does actually exist. Many people on Facebook pages are reporting issues, but I'm not sure if an actual issue exists or if that person is not used to the sound?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Video of the sounds! Video....video...video!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
[MENTION=3563]TyphoonFiST[/MENTION] Just uploaded a video of the sounds. I did partial throttle, heavy throttle, and deacceleration.

https://youtu.be/Pw3ynsFt_kk

Double checked my install. There's only one real way of installing the BOV, when I rotate it to see if the other 2 possibilities work...they don't. So I'm out of ideas

How much boost are you seeing when the bov is fluttering? My gtr flutters in partial throttle with tial bov’s but it’s not building any boost on the gauge. I’ve taken a video of it and it flutters because it doesn’t open all the way and the air is passing through a smaller opening than usual. It creates that flutter sound.

I know that’s completely different than the fiesta’s electronic valve but it’s just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk