Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New 16x8 Wheel Incoming - Konig Dekagram

Received my Dekagrams in March, but just now got them powder coated bronze. I can post pictures of them now if anyone is curious how they came out, otherwise I will post pictures in a couple weeks when I have them mounted.

Received my Dekagrams in March, but just now got them powder coated bronze. I can post pictures of them now if anyone is curious how they came out, otherwise I will post pictures in a couple weeks when I have them mounted.
Heck yes I'm curious! Let's see some pictures. I have a strange feeling my wallet might be lightening up in the near future.

I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to powder coat these wheels or aluminum wheels in general. Something about stress fractures, but I can't find the original article now.

Thousands of people powder coat their wheels, it'll be ok.
I don't disagree, but that's not the best argument.

Found the thread I read a while back: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/10299-Ouch!-Team-dynamics-spoke-failure!?styleid=10

Not sure if there's empirical evidence to say for sure that powder coating alone causes these fractures, but not something I personally would chance. Can't speak for the thousands of others though.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Powered coating is done using heat to melt, settle and cure the paint.
Flow formed wheels are made from cast wheels having the rim heated and rolled to a much thinner thickness to lower the weight and make them strong enough to be made much lighter than a regular cast wheel, it can be thought of a type of rolled forging.
Powder coating a regular cast wheel is not likely to be an issue, doing it to a heat heat treated cast wheel like the TD's or a flow formed wheels could lead to a catastrophic failure is not something I would take a chance on.
Painting and air drying or low heat curing is how I would deal with forged, heat treated or flow formed wheels as I have never seen wheels like these power coated by the manfacturer. (some may do so but it would be parted of the process of making the wheels stronger, not done after already heat treated, etc)
I am not going to look for threads to list here as have seen dozens if not hundreds of posts about this issue over decades of modding cars and have seen pictures of failed powder coated wheels, it is out there.
Will it cause a failure of the wheels in this thread? I do not know, I would not take the chance personally nor take the word of "Joe's Powder Coating Shop".

Rick

I don't disagree, but that's not the best argument.

Found the thread I read a while back: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/10299-Ouch!-Team-dynamics-spoke-failure!?styleid=10

Not sure if there's empirical evidence to say for sure that powder coating alone causes these fractures, but not something I personally would chance. Can't speak for the thousands of others though.
I'm not worried about it. The shop that handled my wheels coats hundreds of wheels each month and is very reputable. Guess I'll take my chances on this one lol. As long as I don't die, it's cool.

I don't track or autocross my car. It's just a daily driver for me.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Powered coating is done using heat to melt, settle and cure the paint.
Flow formed wheels are made from cast wheels having the rim heated and rolled to a much thinner thickness to lower the weight and make them strong enough to be made much lighter than a regular cast wheel, it can be thought of a type of rolled forging.
Powder coating a regular cast wheel is not likely to be an issue, doing it to a heat heat treated cast wheel like the TD's or a flow formed wheels could lead to a catastrophic failure is not something I would take a chance on.
Painting and air drying or low heat curing is how I would deal with forged, heat treated or flow formed wheels as I have never seen wheels like these power coated by the manfacturer. (some may do so but it would be parted of the process of making the wheels stronger, not done after already heat treated, etc)
I am not going to look for threads to list here as have seen dozens if not hundreds of posts about this issue over decades of modding cars and have seen pictures of failed powder coated wheels, it is out there.
Will it cause a failure of the wheels in this thread? I do not know, I would not take the chance personally nor take the word of "Joe's Powder Coating Shop".

Rick
^^^THIS, EXACTLY!! [twothumb]

KKaWing

Yes its a Rota vid... but here's the flow forming process for those interested. (start at 1:30 if it doesn't skip forward)

[video]https://youtu.be/fLnvqgY0DeU?t=1m30s[/video]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm not worried about it. The shop that handled my wheels coats hundreds of wheels each month and is very reputable. Guess I'll take my chances on this one lol. As long as I don't die, it's cool.

I don't track or autocross my car. It's just a daily driver for me.
There might be some 'new tech', LOW(ER) TEMP forms/techniques of powder coating out there, ([dunno]) but I would not bet on it.

There might be some 'new tech', LOW(ER) TEMP forms/techniques of powder coating out there, ([dunno]) but I would not bet on it.
There is methods to do low temp powder coating, buuuuut, whether or not your wheels get tossed in with a bunch of fence posts in the same load... I looked into PC for my TD PR3s, nope, I’ll be having them painted when I get sick of cleaning black wheels continuously... OR I win the lottery and get something forged...

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

Wheels were cured for <30 minutes at 400 degrees. However this obviously doesn't mean the wheels were 400 degrees for 30 minutes because they'd be heating from room temperature. I don't know how quickly the alloy conducts heat. There's no denying that it will affect tensile strength.That's not what I'm arguing. And I'm not an engineer or a physicist, but from what I've seen it looks that would certainly be less than a 5 percent change in tensile strength and that's something I can live with. I don't push the wheels very hard at all. Wheels are absolutely subjected to temperatures near or far above this from brakes for much longer periods of time.

Really didn't mean to derail this thread tho sorry bout that

i gotcha boss. Some imperfections in the coating but eh whatever. Powder color is Highland Bronze.
Something is wrong with the pictures. I didn't see them at work (Chrome) and tried here at home with Firefox and IE. I can see there is a file attached but no pictures displayed. <shrug>

Last edited: