Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Service Interval Recommendations

Chris G

Hi everyone!

I did some searching around and didn't come across much on recommended service intervals. I know everyone has their own preferences and I would love to hear them. Hoping we can get some thoughts in this thread so others that search later on can find it and be informed.

I asked the dealer during my last oil change and they didn't provide much info. I'm used to changing out fluids often... but with the advances in new fluids these days, it seems that may be unnecessary?

Here's what I'm used to:
- Oil & filter every 5,000
- Air & Cabin filter every 15,000
- Brake flush every 30,000
- Coolant flush every 30,000
- Tranny fluid every 30,000
- Spark plugs every 60,000

What does everyone else do?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Here is the factory maintenance schedule, starting at P. 320-
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_05_2015.pdf

the service intervals are quite long, for example 150,000 miles for transmission fluid, and i don't put that many miles on a car, in 10 years i might only have 40k miles on it, so i plan to do most things sooner. better to over-maintain within reason. looking at your list, I plan to do-

- Oil & filter every year (also factory rec for a low mileage car)
- Air filter- 30k Cabin filter- 20k (same as factory rec)
- Brake flush every 3 years (no factory rec)
- Coolant flush every 3 years (factory rec is 6 yr/100k for first, than 3yr/ 50k)
- Tranny fluid every 50,000 (factory rec 150k as stated above)
- Spark plugs every 60,000 (factory rec is 100k)

Also, belts and hoses at 75k, (half the factory rec for belts, no rec for hoses)

Rhinopolis

I agree with the above, and I take it one step further by replacing tranny fluid every other year regardless of miles. I might put 5k miles a year on my car, and I will change out my oil every 3500 miles because I'm running an aggressive E30 tune plus uprated turbo. Basically ever time I drive my car and after its properly warmed up, I'm going to have some fun in it [deviltail]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I'll pretty much follow the manufacturer's recommendations for fluid and belt change with exception to oil change intervals. A lot of people think that changing the oil is about lubrication and it isn't. It's about removing debris... lubricating with Palmolive vs Fast Orange. A clean engine lasts on order magnitudes longer than a dirty one. The outside of the engine can be as sooty as it wants to be. That's not going to perceptibly impact longevity.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I'll pretty much follow the manufacturer's recommendations for fluid and belt change with exception to oil change intervals. A lot of people think that changing the oil is about lubrication and it isn't. It's about removing debris... lubricating with Palmolive vs Fast Orange. A clean engine lasts on order magnitudes longer than a dirty one. The outside of the engine can be as sooty as it wants to be. That's not going to perceptibly impact longevity.
I changed my oil at 150 miles because of that very reason. I was surprised by the amount of grit that was in the oil at such a low mileage.

I've been running Castrol Magnatec since then, almost at 2,000 miles but will change it in August once it's reached the 6 month mark. My commute is 60% city driving and 40% highway.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I've used Castrol GTX in my first vehicle and with nearly ~330k the engine still has great compression numbers, little oil consumption between change intervals and runs great. I could tell the difference between Castrol GTX and Valvoline/Penzoil/RoyalPurple, even the part-synthetic Castrol just rubbing it between my fingers. I use Castrol GTX in my 0-60 in 3 second 4 cylinder motorcycle (15.6k redline) as well. The BP gasoline is crap, but the GTX oil is excellent. I don't mess with the "high milage" stuff... it's just marketing. Reportedly the additional phosphorous content in those "high mileage" dubbed oils isn't good for catalytic converters.

I intend to give the "Magnetec" stuff a try as well.

This is really odd. I've taken my Fiesta ST to 2 different Ford dealers for oil changes so far.

The dealership I bought the car from recommends a 7500 mile interval for oil changes. The other dealer recommends oil changes at 5000 mile intervals (which I think the owners manual supports).

Anyone else encounter this?

The owners manual basically tells you just to bring it in when the oil life monitor goes off and don't let it go more than 10,000 mi or one year between changes. Dealers obviously have a vested interested in getting you to change it more often than that. Many of us do change it more often than that in order to (theoretically) improve engine performance, longevity, and fuel economy. Cars that are run significantly harder than normal should have more frequent oil changes as well.

The owners manual basically tells you just to bring it in when the oil life monitor goes off and don't let it go more than 10,000 mi or one year between changes. Dealers obviously have a vested interested in getting you to change it more often than that. Many of us do change it more often than that in order to (theoretically) improve engine performance, longevity, and fuel economy. Cars that are run significantly harder than normal should have more frequent oil changes as well.
Thanks ... my oil life monitor never has gone off ... so I hope I'm okay.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Still haven't been able to successfully reset mine. Does it only allow you to reset *after* it has come on ? That wouldn't make sense. I've followed the instructions in the owner's manual...
1) press button
2) press on brake and accelerator simultaneously
3) wait until reset displays on screen

I get, noth'n.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Bumping this old thread to see what people recommend for a transmission fluid change interval, and belts and hoses. I had originally planned to change trans fluid every 50k miles, (the factory rec is every 150k as stated above), but am now thinking every 30k or 40k miles, since I'm only driving the car 4-5k miles a year.

[Scary math/aging calculation. I'm 62, if I drive the car 5k miles a year and follow the factory rec of changing the trans fluid every 150k miles, that will occur in 2046 when (if?) I'm about 91 years old. I do hope to drive the car until I'm at least 120 years old, btw]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=4050]Capri to ST[/MENTION]: Ford goofed on the fill spec...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...n-fluid-change?p=307960&viewfull=1#post307960

Still haven't been able to successfully reset mine. Does it only allow you to reset *after* it has come on ? That wouldn't make sense. I've followed the instructions in the owner's manual...
1) press button
2) press on brake and accelerator simultaneously
3) wait until reset displays on screen

I get, noth'n.
Update:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...f-wrench-light?p=264053&viewfull=1#post264053

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I say get rid of the stuff that's in there and fill to the proper fill level. Beyond that, follow the recommended refill interval. Dry-clutch manual transmissions aren't hard on fluid like automatics are.

This is really odd. I've taken my Fiesta ST to 2 different Ford dealers for oil changes so far.

The dealership I bought the car from recommends a 7500 mile interval for oil changes. The other dealer recommends oil changes at 5000 mile intervals (which I think the owners manual supports).

Anyone else encounter this?
Really depends on the oil one puts in the car. I use fully synthetic Mobil 1. Change the oil every 15k....which is about every other year for me. I check it every couple of months....all good. Plus I put Prolong engine treatment in after the first oil change (did that at 1k miles). My cousin, who is on this site, did his tranny fluid well before the recommended mileage and was glad he did. All kinds of grit from the factory. I would recommend everyone do it now if they haven't already.