Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Out-of-warranty transmission replacement

Hello FiSTers,
So I bought an out-of-warranty 2016 FiST and it conveniently immediately developed a transmission whine from about 30-65 mph, on-throttle only and wheel-speed dependent, not transmission speed/gear dependent if that makes sense. Anyway there are a dozen threads about this issue on the forum that pinpoint the issue as an output shaft bearing and the only solution I can find is full transmission replacement. My questions for you all are:
1. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue out of warranty?
2. Is there ANY chance of finding shops that can open the trans and replace the bearing? (asked my Ford rep, they cant/wont open the case up)
3. Has anyone had their transmission replaced out of warranty for any reason? Ford dealer here quoted me $4900.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello FiSTers,
So I bought an out-of-warranty 2016 FiST and it conveniently immediately developed a transmission whine from about 30-65 mph, on-throttle only and wheel-speed dependent, not transmission speed/gear dependent if that makes sense. Anyway there are a dozen threads about this issue on the forum that pinpoint the issue as an output shaft bearing and the only solution I can find is full transmission replacement. My questions for you all are:
1. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue out of warranty?
2. Is there ANY chance of finding shops that can open the trans and replace the bearing? (asked my Ford rep, they cant/wont open the case up)
3. Has anyone had their transmission replaced out of warranty for any reason? Ford dealer here quoted me $4900.
How many miles on vehicle?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
N
Thread Starter #3
Hey wow thanks for being so active on the forum. 28,000ish miles when I bought it, 33,000ish now. It's out of warranty because it's a rebuilt title from a rear-end collision (I know, I know rebuilt/salvage is a risk. I don't believe this issue is related to the collision but who knows)

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Check my past threads. I dealt with this a couple months back and 4k past my powertrain warranty

I got a new used trans with 11k miles for $900 then went with a new OEM flywheel, clutch kit and slave

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey wow thanks for being so active on the forum. 28,000ish miles when I bought it, 33,000ish now. It's out of warranty because it's a rebuilt title from a rear-end collision (I know, I know rebuilt/salvage is a risk. I don't believe this issue is related to the collision but who knows)
Another guy was finding Trans from salvage cars on copo i do believe....1k-1.2k....its in a trans thread sonewhere.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
N
Thread Starter #9
Yeah no kidding right? I do want to install one but goshdang ya boy’s not made of money. Might have to turn the heat down a few ticks this winter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would see if you can find a local transmission repair shop that thinks they can fix it. if they're removing it and cracking the case open the LSD install add on will be almost free. * for labor.

OP
N
Thread Starter #11
[MENTION=8144]theblue[/MENTION] that is something I had considered. I will keep this thread updated if you all want to know how it goes, seems like this is an issue that has some traction. I love this little car and by god I will save her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I was with you guys on the LSD install but money situation was bad. I had to use credit for everything so LSD was not needed

I always told myself when I need a clutch I'd do a LSD but it came at a bad time.

And I drove mine so long the bearing came apart at 80......let me tell you it did not make good noises. After it went I knew it was not worth rebuilding. Later my guy drained the oil and it was full of chunks. Definitely not buildable