Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The NEW: revo RT330 turbo kit is here!

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

Great info thanks to all who contributed. Sounds like it is fixable, I suppose maybe there will be a generation two version going forward that will address these issues. I highly doubt they are going to take every turbo back and re-manufacture them though I could be wrong. Might be a hard sell though given what has happened here. In any case glad to hear some of them are up and running and producing decent power.
Since only the US guys not running the revo flash are picking up on the issue, and only 6/70 RT kits sold were in the US, they almost certainly won’t. Fixing these six kits would open them up to a huge liability. In talking with turbo technics and several UK parts providers, there is a variant of this kit, the S280, with a different cover and no integrated bov that might deliver on the promise this kit had though.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Since only the US guys not running the revo flash are picking up on the issue, and only 6/70 RT kits sold were in the US, they almost certainly won’t. Fixing these six kits would open them up to a huge liability. In talking with turbo technics and several UK parts providers, there is a variant of this kit, the S280, with a different cover and no integrated bov that might deliver on the promise this kit had though.
It shouldn't have to be this way though man....this is just pure bullshit!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
Every UK, US and the South African car has this issue also, I’ve spoken to a 1/2 dozen UK guys about it. It’s an overall design flaw on Revo’s part. It becomes worse as you increase the boost, those guys almost all run a Revo flash, with a peak of 25psi. At 28.5 psi the surge becomes bad enough the car bucks, so we quit tuning. Really, too bad, much like the RS Vargas hybrids, spool and power were on point/better than expected, but the issues/lack of support from Revo make it an untenable product.
Thanks for the info. What I was getting at is that some cars are still using these just fine, so even with the design flaw the turbo is usable, I have a friend in South Africa who finished tuning and dyno'd around 285 on pump gas. He says it pulls nicely...with his permission I copy pasted some of our conversation below, I posted the dyno chart on Justin's RT330 thread with his permission, but here is the conversation I referred to with my friend Gustav:

> Jeff,
> I can feel torque is more or less the same, but the torque now comes later.
>
> You can see that clearly on the graphs so therefor it feels less. But once you get going from 3600rpm it really goes.
>
> Regarding turbo flutter - if you floor the throttle you hear it all the way from 3000rpm
>
> I did open up the car a bit over the weekend and I am very impressed and happy with the upgrade
>
> Regards
> Gustav.

Again may not be what was promised by some but if you look at the initial advertising this turbo promised to make 330 bhp which is about 285 whp and on that promise they totally delivered. Things to note other than the design issues are spool time, flutter, price, etc. In the end if you go to the REVO website it says

"Capable of 330 HP"

They are talking about BHP not WHP so again on that promise they do deliver...if you estimate 10-15% drivetrain loss then 330bhp = 297 (10%) - 280.5 (15%)...so a car that makes 285ish WHP on a dyno is doing as promised considering all that has been said by REVO themselves, regardless of design issues. Not saying that is makes the flaw acceptable, but it is working and making the power that the manufacturer advertised.

Trying to be objective here...the only part of this (other than the design issue which should have been tested before being sold) that disturbs me is that they keep claiming 330hp, which as I said earlier is misleading because that is BHP but other manufacturers claim WHP numbers which are less so it makes it look like one product is superior to the other by 45HP but in fact they make about the same power.

So yeah I put on my turobsmart kompact dual port on my 330 had flutter and hardly any blow off (that i could hear), then i put on my block off plate and installed my turbosmart vee-port pro on my sound symposer hose next to my intake throttle, no more flutter just blow off...car isnt tuned yet , will update after i get it tuned
grumpy360hp.JPG

So yeah I put on my turobsmart kompact dual port on my 330 had flutter and hardly any blow off (that i could hear), then i put on my block off plate and installed my turbosmart vee-port pro on my sound symposer hose next to my intake throttle, no more flutter just blow off...car isnt tuned yet , will update after i get it tuned
View attachment 19158
Grumpy, could you post the boost curve plot to go with that vdyno? I made a switch early on in tuning from the GFB to a turbosmart supersonic bov on the symposer delete, to no avail.

Hi Mort, my AP is set for stratified tune so i only have checked what they asked me to check and that boost section isnt showing any data on vdyno.
I tried to get you a new pull and went into the AP and didnt know what to check off so i checked everything with boost, and when i tried to do a log the AP said too many parameters so had to come back home.
You wouldnt happen to know what setting i need to check to get that? I reverted back to the stratified log settings until i figure it out.
Capture1.JPG

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi Mort, my AP is set for stratified tune so i only have checked what they asked me to check and that boost section isnt showing any data on vdyno.
I tried to get you a new pull and went into the AP and didnt know what to check off so i checked everything with boost, and when i tried to do a log the AP said too many parameters so had to come back home.
You wouldnt happen to know what setting i need to check to get that? I reverted back to the stratified log settings until i figure it out.
View attachment 19160
What smoothing do you all have the Vdyno set to and why did you choose that setting?

Hey Koozy ty so much!! Saved me a pull today. Hello Typhoon I just installed the program 2 weeks ago to get a rough baseline its set to 5 by default and havent changed anything except for what Koozy showed me.
If i am doing it wrong let me know, just wanted to compare before and after turbo install which was about a 95 hp difference.
Also since I am not a mechanic I am an IT Security Analyst I contacted Adam and he said that even though I dont hear the flutter that it is still an issue and he is working on a fix and he said hopefuly by end of week.

Capture2.JPG

Attachments

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey Koozy ty so much!! Saved me a pull today. Hello Typhoon I just installed the program 2 weeks ago to get a rough baseline its set to 5 by default and havent changed anything except for what Koozy showed me.
If i am doing it wrong let me know, just wanted to compare before and after turbo install which was about a 95 hp difference.
Also since I am not a mechanic I am an IT Security Analyst I contacted Adam and he said that even though I dont hear the flutter that it is still an issue and he is working on a fix and he said hopefuly by end of week.

View attachment 19166
Grumpy, I just PM'd you - you need a tune specific for the turbo. You can't run the new turbo on a tune designed for the OEM turbo. Your AFR's are very dangerous (13-14 under WOT). Stop driving the car until you pay for a base tune designed for the engine and turbo combination.

Hey Jd 10-4, will do, gonna load the base tune and send a run to canada, see what they send back, ty sir!!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey Jd 10-4, will do, gonna load the base tune and send a run to canada, see what they send back, ty sir!!
You might remove that vdyno from your signature bro...the curves tell a story you don’t want to repeat. Wait till you are running the proper software and get it tuned before before you let the peacock out.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Last edited:
So let me get this straight....The anti-surge housing isn't truly anti-surge? If so this will get very interesting!

Nope. It’s not. They also apparently mucked up more than just my turbine housing too, according to a recent post by turbo technics. But we are still stuck with them.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Nope. It’s not. They also apparently mucked up more than just my turbine housing too, according to a recent post by turbo technics. But we are still stuck with them.
Wow this is DHM/sour skittle all over again.

Since ron is pretty much the sole distributor of these in the US. I really hope he steps up and makes this right for all these people that spent a lot of money for a hybrid that doesn't work. That he basically advertised as the be all end all "not a hybrid" hybrid turbo.

These veil of secrecy situations need to end.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

Since ron is pretty much the sole distributor of these in the US. I really hope he steps up and makes this right for all these people that spent a lot of money for a hybrid that doesn't work. That he basically advertised as the be all end all "not a hybrid" hybrid turbo.

He did pull it from the site I believe, but I agree with you He needs to at least give his opinion about resolving this. I have given him a hard time over some stuff so I didn't want to be the first one to say it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

100% agreed

It's not up to Ron. We all know the risks as we mod our cars. It's always good practice to research parts before buying them. But I know how much it sucks to get bad parts. This is my first turbo car but not my first modified car. I learned my lesson on superchargers and lost a lot of money on bad parts that said they were the best. I have had 4 blown motors and destroyed 2 transmissions but in the end it was my fault for going with parts that were all hype.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
When you endorse a part you have to take some form of responsibility. I'm sorry but companies look bad when they don't take responsibility for products that they sell.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk