Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dad to be

Hey guys, if this topic has been covered, please forgive me. As the title suggests, I'm gonna be dad pretty soon[wiggle], I'm extremely excited about it and nervous as this is my first baby. Soon we'll have a another FiST fanatic, lol! I'm 6ft and my girlfriend is about 5'8, we're not tall but we're not short either. My question to all the dad's and mom's on this forum is, what car seats have you found work best? What car seats fit the best in our FiST? Have you had any difficulties fitting in the FiST with the car seat in? If you happen to have any photos of the car seat in the car, that would be extremely helpful. I really hope everyone fits just fine cus i would hate to have to trade in such an awesome car. Thank you all in advance for the your help and feedback, I really appreciate it.

OP
Cruz'nFiST
Thread Starter #3
Thank you and thank you for the link, it's exactly what I was looking for/trying to start.

Congrats!

We had an E3 car seat when my now almost 4 year old was born and that thing was a tank. It barely fit in my Durango. We bought a new one that has a smaller form factor and fits much better in either of the cars. I had this car seat in the middle of my FiST (front facing) with my 12 year old and 10 year old on either side. While cramped, it wasn't horrible:

http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-...d=1428436693&sr=8-1&keywords=diono+radian+rxt

Rear facing is a challenge because of how far the seat has to tip back to keep their heads from flopping forward. It's best to have them rear facing until at least 3 now. I can see fitting any rear facing car seat in the FiST a challenge.

OP
Cruz'nFiST
Thread Starter #8
Congrats!

We had an E3 car seat when my now almost 4 year old was born and that thing was a tank. It barely fit in my Durango. We bought a new one that has a smaller form factor and fits much better in either of the cars. I had this car seat in the middle of my FiST (front facing) with my 12 year old and 10 year old on either side. While cramped, it wasn't horrible:

http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-...d=1428436693&sr=8-1&keywords=diono+radian+rxt

Rear facing is a challenge because of how far the seat has to tip back to keep their heads from flopping forward. It's best to have them rear facing until at least 3 now. I can see fitting any rear facing car seat in the FiST a challenge.
Thank you and Thanks for the link, it really helps to see the car seat. The Diono looks like a good car seat but like you said having it rear facing seems like it'll make fitting it a challenge. I already sit far back, I would have to move the seat up much further. I think this is one I'll have to get when the baby gets older, I like that it looks sturdy and you're able to adjust it as they get bigger.

[MENTION=952]frankiefiesta[/MENTION] lol! I know, I'm really happy about that and so is my girlfriend, we both love the car. Thank you.

Congrats man! I asked this same question when my wife was expecting before I bought the car, as it was my number 1 requirement! I'm 6'0, wife is 5'7. I ended up testing out our car seat with a fiesta st with recaros. I can drive, baby can sit in the middle in the back, and wifey can sit up front. These infant baby seats are ridiculously huge, for any car! Anyways, everyone fits, and I was happily able to buy a fiesta with recaros. We have a graco connect 30. I did not attempt to place her in the middle with the base because the fiesta is our secondary car, so it will be carseat only.

Thank you and Thanks for the link, it really helps to see the car seat. The Diono looks like a good car seat but like you said having it rear facing seems like it'll make fitting it a challenge. I already sit far back, I would have to move the seat up much further. I think this is one I'll have to get when the baby gets older, I like that it looks sturdy and you're able to adjust it as they get bigger.

[MENTION=952]frankiefiesta[/MENTION] lol! I know, I'm really happy about that and so is my girlfriend, we both love the car. Thank you.
No problem. I'm 6' as well and honestly any car seat in any of my cars/vans/SUVs made me move my seat forward a little when they were rear facing. I just had to get used to it.

Honestly when the baby is under a year old, you'll wish you had just a regular baby seat. You know, the one you put them in and there is a base installed in the car. You put them in the seat in the house, carry it to the car, click it in. When the baby is sleeping all you have to do is take the seat out with the baby still sleeping and carry it in to the store. I wouldn't switch the baby to a convertible car seat until he or she is at least a year old.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BR0ON8M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Nygjvb0B48Q9B

Believe me, when the kid is sleeping, you won't want to wake them up to go in to the store or whatever.

OP
Cruz'nFiST
Thread Starter #13
To [MENTION=1758]Brick[/MENTION], [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION], [MENTION=1926]STephen[/MENTION], [MENTION=2]MKVIIST[/MENTION], [MENTION=1333]BoostBumps[/MENTION], [MENTION=952]frankiefiesta[/MENTION], [MENTION=2344]Natedogg[/MENTION]

I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone and thank you for the valuable input and advice. It's reassuring to know that a car seat even a rear facing car seat will fit in the FiST if you're 6ft or taller. [MENTION=2344]Natedogg[/MENTION], I think I will take your advice and get a car seat with a base. No need to have a crying baby when they could've been sleeping, lol!

I think we met at the March Saturday ModBargains meet; I had the silver ST. We have the Baby Trend Moonlight system. Fits with me up front and the wife in the back no problem.

No problem man. I've got 4 kids and they range from 3 to 16 years old. I've been through it all. If you need some advice, feel free to ask.

I've got twins, and I can tell you that fitting the big convertible car seats in the Fiesta rearwards was not happening. Using the carrier would be a bit better but still would compromise front seat space. Being able to put a single seat in the middle is a luxury we don't have.

Our boys are 17 months now, so switching them to front facing for Fiesta rides isn't a big deal (previous car was a Versa, which had no issue with any carseat in any position). they're still rear facing in the Van

we use Eddie Bauer seats for the FiST, and Graco in the van.

EB Alpha Elite 3-in-1 -

Graco - Headwise 70 -

Quick take on the carseats:

Graco is better when the kids are younger, seems to have better, more robust, protection and head support, and marginally better latches. Strap system is also a bit easier, especially when new.

EB - Better as the kids get bigger and don't need as much head support, the boys can see out to the sides and to each other, which was almost impossible for them in the Graco. Strap system requires a few weeks of break-in, during which time they are very stiff and difficult to tighten. Less adjustable than the graco, but still acceptable.

Watch for when carseats go on clearance. These 2 seats retail for $180-$200, we got them for $80 and $90 respectively. When you need 4 seats, that's huge. It's harder when you're looking at carriers, you need them right away, but for the convertibles, you have a year or more to shop around and wait for deals, so don't get to hasty.

[MENTION=2517]RStolz[/MENTION] , thanks for the heads up regarding sales on seats... I never thought about that. That's a HUGE savings. Our lil one is 7 months old now, so I should start looking for deals.

OP
Cruz'nFiST
Thread Starter #18
I've got twins, and I can tell you that fitting the big convertible car seats in the Fiesta rearwards was not happening. Using the carrier would be a bit better but still would compromise front seat space. Being able to put a single seat in the middle is a luxury we don't have.

Our boys are 17 months now, so switching them to front facing for Fiesta rides isn't a big deal (previous car was a Versa, which had no issue with any carseat in any position). they're still rear facing in the Van

we use Eddie Bauer seats for the FiST, and Graco in the van.

EB Alpha Elite 3-in-1 -

Graco - Headwise 70 -

Quick take on the carseats:

Graco is better when the kids are younger, seems to have better, more robust, protection and head support, and marginally better latches. Strap system is also a bit easier, especially when new.

EB - Better as the kids get bigger and don't need as much head support, the boys can see out to the sides and to each other, which was almost impossible for them in the Graco. Strap system requires a few weeks of break-in, during which time they are very stiff and difficult to tighten. Less adjustable than the graco, but still acceptable.

Watch for when carseats go on clearance. These 2 seats retail for $180-$200, we got them for $80 and $90 respectively. When you need 4 seats, that's huge. It's harder when you're looking at carriers, you need them right away, but for the convertibles, you have a year or more to shop around and wait for deals, so don't get to hasty.
Thank you for your input and advice, it was very informative. You're the second person to mention that using the cconvertible car seat in the rear facing position is pretty much impossible in our cars. I'll definitely be going with the carrier car seat until the baby gets bigger. I'll be keeping my eye out for car seats on clearance, that's a huge difference in pricing. Grace seems to be on everyone's list that's one spoken to, so I think I'll be looking out for one of those. Thanks again.
[MENTION=745]sharpie[/MENTION] Yeah we did speak at the last Fiesta ST meet. Thanks for taking the time to show me what you had, hopefully I'll see at the next one.
[MENTION=2344]Natedogg[/MENTION] Thanks for the offer, I probably will hit you up for advice, Lord knows I'll need it and all the help I can get.