Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Honest review X47 turbo

Great results thanks for sharing!

Question for you and others....why 28psi? This is not a criticism, but I have noticed several folks on these forums who have posted dynos/vdynos and the boost holds at 27 or 28 psi...Puma explicitly recommends 25.4 as the target boost for the meat of the power band for safety. Believe me I'm tempted to have my tuner put me up there but I want my turbo to last. I imagine that your results are going to be marginally higher than mine or the average X47 that keeps boost in the manufacturers recommended range....especially the torque, which comes in gobs with more boost even if HP doesn't change much. Anyhow I'm curious as to your decision to target 28psi....
I didn't I just Alex for all the power he could get out of it but still "safe". I don't daily the car and I have a 93 oct tune if I wanted to. I just had a goal if running 12s on street tires and couldn't afford dhm kit. Also I am running aux fuel kit and recommend it if you want to run e fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great results thanks for sharing!

Question for you and others....why 28psi? This is not a criticism, but I have noticed several folks on these forums who have posted dynos/vdynos and the boost holds at 27 or 28 psi...Puma explicitly recommends 25.4 as the target boost for the meat of the power band for safety. Believe me I'm tempted to have my tuner put me up there but I want my turbo to last. I imagine that your results are going to be marginally higher than mine or the average X47 that keeps boost in the manufacturers recommended range....especially the torque, which comes in gobs with more boost even if HP doesn't change much. Anyhow I'm curious as to your decision to target 28psi....
I didn't I just Alex for all the power he could get out of it but still "safe". I don't daily the car and I have a 93 oct tune if I wanted to. I just had a goal if running 12s on street tires and couldn't afford dhm kit. Also I am running aux fuel kit and recommend it if you want to run e fuel.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I don’t have an X-47, but I run a max boost target of 27.5 on all my maps. E30 or 93. I understand you wanting to be safe and all, but I don’t believe in limiting the turbo as long as the added boost correlates to additional power. After all, that’s the reason for the upgrade. Power. I’ve had my C39 for 22k miles at these boost levels no problems.

I don’t have an X-47, but I run a max boost target of 27.5 on all my maps. E30 or 93. I understand you wanting to be safe and all, but I don’t believe in limiting the turbo as long as the added boost correlates to additional power. After all, that’s the reason for the upgrade. Power. I’ve had my C39 for 22k miles at these boost levels no problems.
Overspeeding a turbo is a real concern. IIRC that was part of the reason they don't recommend going over 24.5psi or whatever it is. For some of us, the sacrifice of longevity isn't wort the extra 20hp. It's not so much "limiting" the turbo, as it is working within the limits of the turbo.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Fha

Hey thanks for this review after reading thru X47 sticky post and this I have decided to go this route. I am planning order directly from Pumaspeed the x47R after I finish up last bit of supporting mods first.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
DYNO results below, but first....

Overspeeding a turbo is a real concern. IIRC that was part of the reason they don't recommend going over 24.5psi or whatever it is. For some of us, the sacrifice of longevity isn't wort the extra 20hp. It's not so much "limiting" the turbo, as it is working within the limits of the turbo.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
To each his own, it's your car, but I'm with thePete on this one. In fact, I e-mailed Puma and asked about keeping 25.4psi versus a higher boost level for the bulk of the power band, and this is their reply:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the email, regarding the X47 it's great to hear that all is well
and you are enjoying our X47 Turbo.

As with any Turbo they all have an expected life span, if you are running
this day in day out on a high psi then you would only expect the turbo's
life span to shorten . Running this at a sensible psi, such as you are
running at this will only prolong this life cycle.

Regards

Stuart Aldis
Sales & Operations

Pumaspeed
Church House
178 Batley Road
Wakefield
WF2 0AJ

So take your pick, higher psi and shortened life span, or sensible psi and prolonged life cycle....

Hey thanks for this review after reading thru X47 sticky post and this I have decided to go this route. I am planning order directly from Pumaspeed the x47R after I finish up last bit of supporting mods first.
Sure thing! Do your research on the X47 vs. + and ++ and R, they do operate differently in terms of spool and high end power!

OK so today I visited Top Speed Motorsports in Atlanta and got my car dyno'd to the tune of 298HP and 322TQ. This is on my 99 Race Gas concentrate tune. A few thoughts:

* I am super happy with these results! HP is higher than I expected and TQ is way higher!
* Considering my mod choices: I'm on the "safe/conservative" 25.4psi tune (e-tune, not dyno tune...I'm sure there's a bit more power on the table), and have a 2.5" exhaust (Mountune) and a catted downpipe (Cobb)....this is really super IMHO!
* All pulls done in 4th gear...temp was 71 degrees...they were actually all very close which was nice...
* I decided against paying $100 more for a tune swap and set of 93 octane runs...my assumption is that it would be around 275 like everyone else...no need...
* My car was surrounded by 9 GT-Rs, some making in excess of 2000HP....so my car looked kind of silly in there but they were great folks, I tuned/dyno'd my Scooby there years ago so I trust this place...
* I'll look at the datalogs and share later if they reveal anything...but the dyno operator told me that you can't compare dyno results to Vdyno results taken on the dyno due to because...
* The Cobb AccessPort "estimated HP" and "estimated TQ" figures read 284/276 for my 298/322 run which validates what Cobb said in another thread, that those monitors are calibrated for stock turbo and will not be very accurate otherwise...

OK I'm about done modding, today was very satisfying, here are some pictures:
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

[thumb]

Last edited:
OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
very respectable. great job and awesome write up. I assume your vehicle is daily driven?
Hey thanks man I appreciate it! Yes it's my daily but I don't always drive on the 99 octane tune, usually about 1/2 the time I'm on the 99 tune and the other 1/2 on the 93 tune. Depends on how much highway mileage I'm putting on the car from tank to tank, if I know I'm taking road trips I tend to swap to the 93 tune.

Now, more thoughts on my setup/dyno experience...

So, I looked over my logs that I took while on the dyno yesterday and it seems my octane mixture was off. I say this because I log often and my negative corrections are almost nonexistent and I have 15 degrees of timing. However the logs from the actual dyno runs only had 13 degrees of timing and lots of negative corrections. Why? Because the mixture in my tank at the time of the dyno runs wasn't optimal, I ran out of RG concentrate (because I'm a dufus...it's a long story, partly my fault partly not...) and had to use their 100 octane stuff mixed with my 93 octane Shell gas.

In any case I'm waiting to hear back from Adam about this but I am wondering if I could get better dyno results had I mixed things properly. If he says yes then I'm gonna make a 2nd trip to the dyno at some point and see what happens.

Beside all of that, 298/322 on a real dyno is still making me quite happy!!!

im assuming night and day butt dyno from stock turbo to x47? im asking so many questions, because im trying to justify buying this turbo. I also want to prep my vehicle(brakes, suspension, driveline) to handle the increase in power, just trying to get some ideas.

Jeff
Really pleased for you and a great result.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts. It's always good to hear from real people living a real life their view on something.
I know everyone has their own opinions but I do personally like to hear from other people then make a decision on things, so thanks [:)]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #53
im assuming night and day butt dyno from stock turbo to x47? im asking so many questions, because im trying to justify buying this turbo. I also want to prep my vehicle(brakes, suspension, driveline) to handle the increase in power, just trying to get some ideas.
Definitely, I have a friend with a new 5.0 Mustang, it pulls like that only it feels faster (and probably is until 80mph), definitely night and day, it feels like a V8 now instead of a turbo 4.

Ask as many questions you want, if you want to chat on the phone PM me your cell and we can discuss any of this, I'm here to help, I researched this extensively before and happy and I'm happy to help others on the same path.

Jeff
Really pleased for you and a great result.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts. It's always good to hear from real people living a real life their view on something.
I know everyone has their own opinions but I do personally like to hear from other people then make a decision on things, so thanks [:)]
Thanks man that's encouraging!

Following up on my last comment, I talked with Adam my tuner and he said if there were negative corrections then it made less power than it could have. So it looks like I'll be doing a second dyno next time I'm near a dyno shop to find out. This will likely be months from now but if/when I do I'll post results.

Hello friends after many pages of reading I have decided to update my turbo for the x-47R that will be arriving in a few days, God willing, I need please advise me to buy additionally for your installation? I refer to packaging, rings etc. I am a newbie in this topic and I am considering doing it at home but I do not want to be with my car half for lack of a package, this car is new here and still do not spare parts for it, everything touches me buy it in (usa) ... I'm grateful if someone with more experience than me tells me to buy

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
DYNO results below, but first....

To each his own, it's your car, but I'm with thePete on this one. In fact, I e-mailed Puma and asked about keeping 25.4psi versus a higher boost level for the bulk of the power band, and this is their reply:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the email, regarding the X47 it's great to hear that all is well
and you are enjoying our X47 Turbo.

As with any Turbo they all have an expected life span, if you are running
this day in day out on a high psi then you would only expect the turbo's
life span to shorten . Running this at a sensible psi, such as you are
running at this will only prolong this life cycle.

Regards

Stuart Aldis
Sales & Operations

Pumaspeed
Church House
178 Batley Road
Wakefield
WF2 0AJ

So take your pick, higher psi and shortened life span, or sensible psi and prolonged life cycle....

Sure thing! Do your research on the X47 vs. + and ++ and R, they do operate differently in terms of spool and high end power!

OK so today I visited Top Speed Motorsports in Atlanta and got my car dyno'd to the tune of 298HP and 322TQ. This is on my 99 Race Gas concentrate tune. A few thoughts:

* I am super happy with these results! HP is higher than I expected and TQ is way higher!
* Considering my mod choices: I'm on the "safe/conservative" 25.4psi tune (e-tune, not dyno tune...I'm sure there's a bit more power on the table), and have a 2.5" exhaust (Mountune) and a catted downpipe (Cobb)....this is really super IMHO!
* All pulls done in 4th gear...temp was 71 degrees...they were actually all very close which was nice...
* I decided against paying $100 more for a tune swap and set of 93 octane runs...my assumption is that it would be around 275 like everyone else...no need...
* My car was surrounded by 9 GT-Rs, some making in excess of 2000HP....so my car looked kind of silly in there but they were great folks, I tuned/dyno'd my Scooby there years ago so I trust this place...
* I'll look at the datalogs and share later if they reveal anything...but the dyno operator told me that you can't compare dyno results to Vdyno results taken on the dyno due to because...
* The Cobb AccessPort "estimated HP" and "estimated TQ" figures read 284/276 for my 298/322 run which validates what Cobb said in another thread, that those monitors are calibrated for stock turbo and will not be very accurate otherwise...

OK I'm about done modding, today was very satisfying, here are some pictures:
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

[thumb]
Regarding estimated hp and torque via the AP:

I have the X47R and with my final revision on 93 octane, I've seen peak estimated hp and torque of 292-295hp and 287-292pft through the AccessPort. The X47R pulls like a raped ape to redline. I am waiting for Adam to schedule me a dyno session and will post up the whp results then. I have read elswhere that dyno wheel power and torque is usually higher than the "estimated" on the AP. If that is true I will be super happy.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
OMG, you have no idea. LOL

Totally changes the character of the car....

I know I said this somewhere else in the forums but I also have a 643whp/624pft '17 C7 Z06 and lately it has sat in the garage. It's hard now to choose which one to take out. As far as fun quotient, the FiST is like a double loop rollercoaster ride. Everyone knows that the Z06 is fast, even with 725bhp, but the look on peoples faces when I move on out... in a Fiesta... is addicting. Getting into throttle on the FiST makes me giggle, whereas the power in the Z06 makes my b*tthole pucker up. LMAO

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Hello friends after many pages of reading I have decided to update my turbo for the x-47R that will be arriving in a few days, God willing, I need please advise me to buy additionally for your installation? I refer to packaging, rings etc. I am a newbie in this topic and I am considering doing it at home but I do not want to be with my car half for lack of a package, this car is new here and still do not spare parts for it, everything touches me buy it in (usa) ... I'm grateful if someone with more experience than me tells me to buy
I know you. Glad to see you here. I told you to buy it in a hurry, I hope you did. Good luck with your install my friend. [cheers]

Please feel free to message me on Facebook any time during this process if you need answers to questions.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I know estimated hp and torque on the AP isn't very accurate when compared to dyno numbers but I've seen big increases from stage 1 to stage 3 and now with X47R, which kind of validates the added power between stages. I actually hit 295hp on my 93 map, but my last datalog pull showed these numbers on E30:

Attachments