Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Low RPM Whine

2018 Fist 1500 miles.

Just above idle there is a high pitched whining sound. It almost sounds like a bad beating. It goes away as RPMs come up. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance.

Anyone have this issue before ?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
2018 Fist 1500 miles.

Just above idle there is a high pitched whining sound. It almost sounds like a bad beating. It goes away as RPMs come up. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance.

In all gears? Or just certain gears? Video also?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

felopr

2018 Fist 1500 miles.

Never had this issue myself
your have a warranty still , take it to the dealer and complain about it.

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
It seems to be only in 1st since the rpms arent low enough in other gears.

Almost sounds like maybe the turbo bearings.

Does anyone happen to know if 1st is a spur- cut/ straight cut gear? If so, that could be what you're hearing.
Does it sound similar to the noise in reverse?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Does anyone happen to know if 1st is a spur- cut/ straight cut gear? If so, that could be what you're hearing.
Does it sound similar to the noise in reverse?
I know that this was the case with the Kia turbo I traded in for my FiST, they used non-helical for 1st/reverse combo but I don't think that applies to ours... Personally, I'm at only 7,500 and have had a 6th gear whine since almost new... I'm probably just going to try the 2 full liters of Ravenol MTF-2 to resolve mine as I'm tuned and don't need the hassle of taking it to the dealer...

Last edited:
Tensioner on the alternator..alot of them make the sound..its like a purrring. You can hear it with a slight rev, as it returns to idle

I had a 14 and it made the sound..had ford replace it under warranty and made the exact same sound upon return. Ending up selling and a year later I got a 16..same noise lol..i hear it a lot in videos on line..its right as the car comes to idle or just a slight throttle input. Don't worry bout it

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had a 14 and it made the sound..had ford replace it under warranty and made the exact same sound upon return. Ending up selling and a year later I got a 16..same noise lol..i hear it a lot in videos on line..its right as the car comes to idle or just a slight throttle input. Don't worry bout it
Please produce a video...I'D like to compare my noise to the video![wrenchin]

I think it's the timing belt tension changing at low speed as the ecu is manipulating variables. There is variation in timing belt tightness, especially with age, leading to different people having different levels of sound. My wife and I both have 16's and both do it some. I need the hood up standing near the engine, but I can hear it clearly. Always thought it was normal. While it's a total guess, I just think the belt is making the noise. Think of all this little teeth whirring around behind a thin cover.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Does it do it at 60mph on throttle and then release throttle and it goes away?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk